Winter tyres/wheels

Sidepod

Does anyone run winter tyres/wheels?

I  use my R most days and in the last few weeks it’s got away from me a couple of times. Nothing major but enough to make me opt for the backup vehicle as an option when it’s cold/icy. 

So so the question is, winter 19”s or do it properly and come down an inch on rim size?

p. 

I don`t on my 981 CS but do on my daily Audi, definiteIy worth it.

I used my previous CR throughout (occasionally) last Winter and it was very good on it`s PS2`s in the ice and snow ... with care :)

Look for a spare set of 18`s (with tyres) on the PCGB Forum, plus ... there are plenty on ebay. You`ll find a set at less than the price of new Winter tyres for your 19`s. 

Beware tyres that are close to / over five years old, they do `go off` ... given that they invariably see little use. 

Ive been thinking about a very cheap set of Boxster wheels and tyres. 17 inch rims with narrower tyres, bigger aspect ratio for more compliance and rim protection and a winter or M and S tyre type. in the last couple of weeks the back end of my daily drive to work has got a bit squirrelly and out of shape. whilst this might be fun on a track, running the gauntlet of sleepy plonkers with no idea and little respect, is starting to affect my sanity.( and there aint much of that to start with)

Last week I saw so many cars in ditches, upside down, stranded, it made me glad my RWD Cayman was tucked up in the garage as I sailed past in my wife's X1.

Of course 4WD still doesn't really help on slippery bends or when braking, but for gaining traction it was excellent. Can't see a need for winter tyres unless you're up north, but if you have the spare cash and no choice of snowmobile then absolutely get some.

11 hours ago, Sidepod said:

Does anyone run winter tyres/wheels?

I  use my R most days and in the last few weeks it’s got away from me a couple of times. Nothing major but enough to make me opt for the backup vehicle as an option when it’s cold/icy. 

So so the question is, winter 19”s or do it properly and come down an inch on rim size?

p. 

PCGB`s December magazine has a set for sale, Boxster Gen2 - 1,000 miles - £500 ono ... located in North Wales 

235/40 x 18 - 255/40 x 18 

PM me if you want the contact details. 

I have Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres on the family diesel Kia SUV on a 1” smaller steel rim, had them the past 4 winters and wouldn’t be without them. 

I put the winters on as soon as the temperature drops below 7degC (Mid Nov generally), and they stay on till mid March. 

Last Monday I couldn’t even get 40metres up the estate road in the CS after a paultry 4” of snow. But the Kia just drove out like it was on bare asphalt.  

I will definitely get some 18” rims and some winter tyres for next winter. Cant afford this year with some suspension repairs looming in Jan. 

FYI - Nokian are a Finnish brand , win loads of Continental euro tyre reviews. I guess the know how to make a decent winter tyre in the arctic circle. 

Just make sure the wheel size, width, and offset is correct, and the tyre size/spec, for your model. Any variance from manufacturer's spec, check with your insurer.

Extract from Porsche GB Winter Tyres document

Type 987 Boxster S, Boxster Spyder, Cayman S, Cayman R (model year 2009 – 2012)

Wheel sizes ... NB: these are the same for all Boxsters / Caymans 2005 - 2012. 

8J x 18 57 FA 235/40 R18 91 V Continental Winter Contact TS 810 Sport N1 E C )) 72 dB Yes 18-inch Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II N1 C C )) 72 dB Yes

9J x 18 43 RA 255/40 R18 95 V Continental Winter Contact TS 810 Sport N1 F C )) 73 dB Yes Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II N1 C C )) 73 dB Yes

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Sweden in the early 2000's and winter tyres are compulsory there.  I only came to appreciate what a massive difference they make when at the end of our 3rd winter, having just put my near new premium summer tyres back on my Porsche 968, we had a late snowfall.  My car which had been a drama free daily driver for 3 winters was suddenly virtually undriveable.

On 12/19/2017 at 21:13, Sidepod said:

Just missed a full set of OE rims with Pirelli Sotto Zeros on The Bay today. ARSE!

Erm, I have a feeling I may have to say sorry for that one.... I won these on eBay on the 19th of December.  They were a total steal and 6 miles from where I was spending Christmas so I picked the up on boxing day and drove back to Aberdeen with them the day after.

So far they have only been used in wintry - snow and ice - conditions once but were excellent.  Got up a very steep compacted snow incline when I was on a  hill walking trip and when my mates street froze the R got up it where lots of other cars, including 4WDs, wouldn't move.  Only had the car in snow once on the summers when I was not expecting it to snow and it was just about OK but stopping distances were ridiculous.  On the winters it stops drama free.

winters.jpg

• 1 month later...