Aftermarket Sat Nav and head unit

Hi,

Just bought my first Porsche, Cayman S Gen 1.

As the car does not have a sat nav fitted I am looking to fit an aftermarket unit, radio/sat nav/blue tooth. May be a dumb question but does the Cayman have a single or double DIN arrangement, also appreciate recommendations on what unit to go for.

Cheers

Steve

18 hours ago, Best in Red said:

Hi,

Just bought my first Porsche, Cayman S Gen 1.

As the car does not have a sat nav fitted I am looking to fit an aftermarket unit, radio/sat nav/blue tooth. May be a dumb question but does the Cayman have a single or double DIN arrangement, also appreciate recommendations on what unit to go for.

Cheers

Steve

It's worth having a look at the new Dynavin units, I think there was a thread on here recently about them...I've seen them in BMWs and have been impressed.  Otherwise the usual suspects, Pioneer or Alpine would be my recommendations.  

Your car is a double-Din fitting.  

I've read some good things about these Dynavin things, they certainly look better than shoving the other options in with those ugly faceplates you have to use.  

@SpannerMan - are you a Dynavin authorised dealer or something mate? ;) 

Edited by DKR_77

• 3 weeks later...

Just fitted a Pioneer head unit in my Cayman S.

TBH the factory head unit (inc the top range Bose) is woefully inadequate by todays standard.

My Pioneer AVH290BT has bulit in hands free Bluetooth, music streaming from your Android/Apple inc Spotify etc - USB, DVD etc etc.

Didn't bother with the SatNav as I have the fully paid TomTom on my Galaxy & a stand alone TomTom unit.

The aftermarket head units are a doddle to fit if you are fairly confident with spannering etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-AVH-290BT-6-2-Inch-Touchscreen-Bluetooth/dp/B01MXJUYSH

This is my Pioneer installed playing a music video via DVD ;-) 

20180119_211013_resized.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, graham.reeds said:

Think that fascia is for the Gen2? Only in Black?

XTrons is a "budget" brand... In my Porker?!? No thanks... Just sayin' :63_astonished:

Edited by Mavrik

keep the suggestions coming, I would like to replace my crap monochrome basic pcm for something more versatile and modern in the CR. Ideally with satnav too.

Is it a fairly easy job for a car audio guy to swap out something like the Dynavin into the car? Would it come with all connectors for a straight connection or would there be wiring fudgery involved? I haven't ever seen a pcm taken out so unsure with the whole process. Bit different to the old car stereo days :)

The Alpine unit above looks nice too, got a model number?

Edited by MJ

The Dynavin units do look pretty good. Something I need to start looking at is upgrading I want to be able to stream my music. Half tempted to get a kit to integrate with the PCM and keep it all looking OEM. I have read you need to have the auto changer port enabled so need to look into that a bit more. Good to see other people’s setups though giving me a few ideas.

Hi Steve

I have been through this dilema a few months ago and searched all options. I eventually found this although I have not pulled the trigger yet.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Bluetooth-mains-libres-A2DP-USB-adaptateur-Porsche-911-Boxster-Cayman-Cayenne-/112500870540?hash=item1a31930d8c

I think you need to find a friendly garage that has PIWIS to enable your CD changer.

Barry

On 24/01/2018 at 13:34, MJ said:

Is it a fairly easy job for a car audio guy to swap out something like the Dynavin into the car? Would it come with all connectors for a straight connection or would there be wiring fudgery involved? I haven't ever seen a pcm taken out so unsure with the whole process. Bit different to the old car stereo days :)

The Alpine unit above looks nice too, got a model number?

Any car audio guy worth their salt should easily be able to do the install.  It’s not that difficult to do yourself if you are that way inclined.  

All adaptors are either supplied or easily sourced from eBay or car audio online retailers.  

If you have Bose though it can be slightly more complicated sometimes.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2018 at 00:31, Bushman said:

looks nice Tony from where and how much please? did you need a conversion loom

Sorry only just saw this!

The head unit was about £400 and fitting only took an hour or so - no extra loom work required although my car is very basic so no steering wheel controls although it does have the Bose speakers, sub and amp.