After market ducktail spoilers and loud exhausts. Hit or miss?

Buggyjam

987 already has a mini ducktail. It’s quite dinky though. I do like the ducktail look. I’ve seen you can buy some after market ducktails from the States that bolt on. What’s your opinion on it? I can’t decide. In some angles (from the rear and up) I really dig it. But other angles I can’t decide if it looks wrong or not or the look unbalanced. Ignore the blue one being mental lowered in the links, if you can?! There’s some more but the pics are on another forum so didn’t want to break any forum rules that might say no links to other forums etc. What’s your thoughts?

Also what’s your thoughts on Remus exhausts? From YouTube vids they seem to still sound very Porsche, just more meaty. Between the idea of a loud exhaust and after market wing I wouldn’t want it to look and sound “Rice”, more a sportier Porsche. It’s a fine line. Also I presume non stock pipes will hurt resale value. A wing can be unbolted, an exhaust not so easy to replace with stock.

https://goo.gl/images/rS4HoK

http://www.rotiform.com/gallery-vehicle.cfm?id=20342

In my rather unfiltered opinion: that car is a prime example of what you should not do in every single way.  Some people may go for that "look" but I don't think any true Porsche enthusiast would appreciate it.  I may be wrong but that's simply my opinion.  I see that and think of the yobs in the local Tesco car park.

Maintaining resale and value is all about keeping everything as OE as possible.  Absolutely everything.  From the engine, exhaust, ICE to interior bulbs.

If you want a sportier car: look at more subtle mods like the Porsche decals, CR rear wing, painting the wing mirrors/vents/wing.  I'm preferential to the 987's look - it's a good balance of curves, lines and looks subtle.  I think the CR is the limit of sportiness I'd apply to a 987 (not that I'm biased or anything, honest...).

The GT3 master cylinder is a fantastic upgrade that will give you a much better feel on the pedal due to the shorter travel and requires more pressure on the push.  That knocks spots off any ducktail as improving a great car is usually difficult.  Also easily reversed which you can leave down to the next owner (that's certainly what I'll be doing). 

Edited by Aaron
Typos

35 minutes ago, Aaron said:

In my rather unfiltered opinion: that car is a prime example of what you should not do in every single way.  Some people may go for that "look" but I don't think any true Porsche enthusiast would appreciate it.  I may be wrong but that's simply my opinion.  I see that and think of the yobs in the local Tesco car park.

Maintaining resale and value is all about keeping everything as OE as possible.  Absolutely everything.  From the engine, exhaust, ICE to interior bulbs.

If you want a sportier car: look at more subtle mods like the Porsche decals, CR rear wing, painting the wing mirrors/vents/wing.  I'm preferential to the 987's look - it's a good balance of curves, lines and looks subtle.  I think the CR is the limit of sportiness I'd apply to a 987 (not that I'm biased or anything, honest...).

The GT3 master cylinder is a fantastic upgrade that will give you a much better feel on the pedal due to the shorter travel and requires more pressure on the push.  That knocks spots off any ducktail as improving a great car is usually difficult.  Also easily reversed which you can leave down to the next owner (that's certainly what I'll be doing). 

I agree the blue car is horribly rice. It’s just the slightly larger spoiler in isolation I was looking at. I think they bolt onto the standard base mount and can be painted body coloured.

My car is not 100 percent stock either to be fair, it’s a speed yellow gen 2 with the back Porsche Cayman R retro decals and sitting on black cayman S2 wheels :D. The only really after market thing is It’s actually on H and R springs. In my ignorance (despite doing stacks of research) I didn’t appreciate the Springs weren’t stock until last week after 6 months of ownership  I decided to research the faded part numbers on the coils to see how much springs cost. Perhaps because it looked in the advert so much like it should have been made from the factory I didn’t spot it. it certainly wasn’t volunteered by the indi I bought it off. I actually like it, looks quite subtle and retro and drives and handles a dream. I’ve already decided since posting I’m not touching the exhaust and I’ll probably bin the duck tail idea as I’m too on the fence.  I’ve no interest in fiddling with anything else myself.

I try to tell myself having a relatively rare speed yellow gen 2 will offset any negatives from the H and R springs if I ever sell it :D. But then yellow will probably be out of fashion by then :D 

7 hours ago, PMGPete said:

My best advice is do whatever makes you happy with your car.

My car will end up being my own interpretation of what a 987 gt4 would have been if it had ever existed.

I must say that's the only thing I haven't enjoyed about Porsche ownership so far is the air of snobbery around modified cars.

We are all different and improvements are subjective to how it makes me feel about the car.  

Some might think I have ruined my Cayman, I think it's awesome.  Everything I have added, has truly added and enhanced the package to me.

You are welcome to drive my with the Tubi Exhaust and compare to your own.  It has certainly made my car feel even more like an accomplished sports car IMO

Cheers Pete, I did have visions of being burned at the Porsche stake if touching any of it but then as realised it had been lowered anyway and I really liked it and wouldn’t want it any other way. Your Cayman is awesome mate if anyone thinks that’s ruined they need to get their head checked, but I’m biased  :D. When’s the wing coming? Thanks for the offer on the ride, might take you up :D. We’ll have to T up going for a jolly about in them both once this weather gets out the way!

5 hours ago, graham.reeds said:

@Munch197 Besides the rear wing and sideskirts, what else has been changed?

I was thinking of the Aerokit but later this year.

Unfortunately not my car chief. Just one I'd saved for future reference. 

No skirts on this I don't think. Front splitter, smile grill, wing and out of sight of this photograph some rear bumper mods. 

• 2 weeks later...