Bore Score

If a Porsche Cayman 3.4 litre engine has had repairs for the known “Bore Score” problem for Piston 6 and Crank Case replacement at great expense under Porsche Warranty, will this have fixed this from happening again or would the engine be still susceptible for this happening again? Would the engine have been fully rebuilt under these circumstances?

How many miles should the 3.4 litre engine be good for? What example are about with high miles eg 250,000?

16 hours ago, MushroomGaz said:

If a Porsche Cayman 3.4 litre engine has had repairs for the known “Bore Score” problem for Piston 6 and Crank Case replacement at great expense under Porsche Warranty, will this have fixed this from happening again or would the engine be still susceptible for this happening again? Would the engine have been fully rebuilt under these circumstances?

How many miles should the 3.4 litre engine be good for? What example are about with high miles eg 250,000?

Your last sentence suggests the one you're looking at has done some miles? How many?

On 13/02/2018 at 16:35, 11891952 said:

I'm currently on ~117,000, and it's using about 250ml of oil per 1000miles.  As far as I know, no engine rebuild work has ever been carried out

Thats quite a bit...

On 13/02/2018 at 16:35, 11891952 said:

I'm currently on ~117,000, and it's using about 250ml of oil per 1000miles.  As far as I know, no engine rebuild work has ever been carried out

Surely that's a typo?! If I was driving I will be forever topping it up.

Hi All,

I don't know if any you have seen this on youtube but thought I would post for those that have not. Its shows a fooked Cayman S strip down and bourse are spot on.

Dean

• Like 1

I watched those found it really interesting seeing them take it all apart. They did give the car a real thrashing at times as well. Was surprised to see the bores were ok.

1 hour ago, phil27 said:

I watched those found it really interesting seeing them take it all apart. They did give the car a real thrashing at times as well. Was surprised to see the bores were ok.

I ws surpised at the bores too. Especially as one piston skirt had witness marks on it and signs of oil fouling on one plug. Be interesting to see what the exhaust valve seat looked like on that pot. That bottom end was properly foobarred.

I did wince when he was hitting the poor engine with bigger and bigger hammers only to find he’d forgotten a screw. Then did the same thing again lol! If you’re chiselling Porsche engine casings apart by hitting a screwdriver with a big hammer you’ve got to surely ask yourself big questions before continuing lol! 

Ye made me lol as well that they kept missing bolts and that no bits broke of when he hit it with the hammer, but also the bores are pretty durable and that maybe down to poor maintenance?

Dean

24 minutes ago, FLAT STICK said:

Ye made me lol as well that they kept missing bolts and that no bits broke of when he hit it with the hammer, but also the bores are pretty durable and that maybe down to poor maintenance?

Dean

Looks like he drove that extremely hard, not just sporty driving. Probably driving it like a racing car but not giving it racing car oil changes, as in after each race! :D. Maybe oil was a bit tired.  Could be oil deteriorated after a few months of severe abuse and stopped functioning so well at high temps. He said it really went after an autocross event. If he went into that without fresh oil, maybe straw and camel’s back situation.

Edited by Buggyjam

Haha I forgot about them missing the bolts ! I was convinced something was going to go drastically wrong when they were removing the engine from the car it looked very unsafe.

2 minutes ago, phil27 said:

Haha I forgot about them missing the bolts ! I was convinced something was going to go drastically wrong when they were removing the engine from the car it looked very unsafe.

Lol yeah I thought that. There’s a video of them taking out the transmission on a trans jack and it almost collapses on him poor bugger lol.

I admire them for giving it a go. I was watching that thinking how much more difficult it has got to be to put it all back together lol?. All those different fasteners and bolts. Some need replacing, all the torque to yield angles, all the sequencing ha. I’d def want someone who knows what they’re doing rebuilding that, not a bloke with the internet and good intentions ha.

1 minute ago, FLAT STICK said:

I think they are good vids they did on the Cayman as there just normal lads and they like a beer drinking game!!!

Me too. I’ve got into watching a few of their vids now. 

• Like 1