Cayman S - Front bumper insert

Hello,

I noticed today that the black insert on the lower part of the front bumper has popped out on the driver's side. It also looks like from the picture that a catch may have broken.

Basically for me as a noob, how can I pop this back in please?

Many thanks

IMG_20180417_093157.jpg

Hi,

I just had my bumper off to do the radiators and I decided to have it resprayed to get rid of the stone chips so I stripped all the plastic parts off the bumper to make the task easier.

I can confirm the only way to correctly refit the insert is from behind so bumper off I am afraid.

Taking the bumper off was not difficult and it is worth it so you can clean out the rads / AC condensers.

The bumper inserts are very well thought out and have a very good simple clipping system. I cannot envisage a situation whereby they would pop out on their own.

Don

Bumper.JPG

• Like 1

Many thanks for the info gents. Wow, what a pain in &*"£ having to remove the whole bumper! I have found a link below to a Youtube video on how to remove the front bumper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbtE35rg5W

I did hope there might be a way to remove the side grill, and reach through to the center grill from behind to push it forward.

My centre insert has 10 clips - you can only access them from behind.

When I was considering a 3rd. centre radiator I noticed from the install videos that the new part also has the 10 clip arrangement.

Sorry.

Taking the bumper off is not that difficult though and as I said there will be the opportunity to clean out the debris between and around the radiators.

Bumber Insert.JPG

As above, its a bumper off job. Well worth doing anyway as its the ONLY way you can clean out the rads etc. It's also a good time to do some DIY mesh installs to the grilles etc.

Ive just completed the centre rad fit, all the trim detaches and refits quite easliy.

12 hours ago, Rob63 said:

As above, its a bumper off job. Well worth doing anyway as its the ONLY way you can clean out the rads etc. It's also a good time to do some DIY mesh installs to the grilles etc.

Ive just completed the centre rad fit, all the trim detaches and refits quite easliy.

As Rob says, you really need to take the bumper off to clean out the crap between your a/c condensers and coolant radiators.  You can't get this stuff out by poking a vacuum down the intakes from the front.  This isn't part of the Porsche service schedule so only gets done if you DIY or specifically ask for it to be done as part of the service.

http://16625931134_6634a01daf_b.jpgIMG_9781 by DRH986, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys. Looking to replace both my AC condensers, so whilst the bumper is off I was plannning to fit some mesh. Any recommendations of what type to use  and where to get it? Cheers

1 hour ago, Oliver said:

Hi Guys. Looking to replace both my AC condensers, so whilst the bumper is off I was plannning to fit some mesh. Any recommendations of what type to use  and where to get it? Cheers

Buy some zunsport grilles ??

Don't forget the 20% discount using code CM172016! 

I have them on my CR.  They do the job and do it well.  I would replace the included screws with stainless or zinc coated ones, though, as mine started to rust after a few weeks.

On 09/08/2018 at 19:57, Oliver said:

@Oliver +1 on the Zunsport Grilles... You can get them here (pricey!)   https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt715_1364_-cma81-cmo121-ct311/Porsche/Cayman-987C---981C/Cayman-3-4L-987C-2005--/Protective-Grill/

or on eBay, like I did, for much cheaper!!  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=zunsport+porsche+cayman+s+987.1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=zunsport+porsche+cayman&_sacat=0

I also put some extra Aluminium mesh about an inch  in front of the rads/condensers - Fixed with "Tiger Seal" - also available from eBay!

CH241817.jpg

Edited by Mavrik

• 2 weeks later...