CaymanOC Meet - 5th February 2017

Thanks for letting my random  Tipec mates crash the party and nabbing the parking spaces. A great morning albeit cold. I did say get there early :)

I'm get my mate Sunny photos posted up

Edited by magic8080
  • Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DJMC said:

Some photos, normal & "arty", here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/139728314@N05/4A3ta5

Hope you find your car amongst them?

My favourite snaps...

Some nice photos there David, can we borrow a few for the Facebook page?  

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Some nice photos there David, can we borrow a few for the Facebook page?  

Fill yer boots! ;)

• Like 1

Great turn out! 

Nice to see the numbers growing, I think going for a drive out would be a good idea, I;m sure some of the local members might know some good routes in the area. Perhaps a loop from and back to the Cafe after breakfast? 

Could get some cameras set up en'route to capture the drive...?  

• Like 1

I agree 100% with Porsche GT4. Just takes a front runner to be 10mph over the speed limit and everyone else feels they must follow suit. Not knowing the roads, that could mean 30 speeding fines. I enjoyed chatting with everyone yesterday and I think that is the best way to spend the time at our meets.

Driving in groups is best left for those specially arranged (non-club) events which Nick (Beanoir) has enjoyed a few of. He can no doubt advise the organiser's name.

• Like 1

A proper road trip is something I would defiantly be interested in if you are happy to organise.  

Sorry if I have missed on the wider forum but do you attend any events organised via Porsche owners club?  Only ask as my uncle is reasonably active with the club as he likes collecting 911's and I have attended a few events with him.

Its a shame that you think that other Cayman drivers are unable to control themselves on the roads and possibly do not have the skill level to drive their cars safely. As an ex motorsport driver and rider and a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, myself and at least 20 other riders (and 4-5 off duty Police) would go on a Sunday ride out every week come  sunshine or snow (and sheet ice). 

These rideouts were routes of around 200 miles whilst making progress and assessing each others skills, and not once did we have an incident in 2 years.

Maybe we could arrange a drive out to a track where Cayman drivers could learn to control their cars and not be a danger to others. Just a thought.

10 hours ago, Keith W said:

Its a shame that you think that other Cayman drivers are unable to control themselves on the roads and possibly do not have the skill level to drive their cars safely. As an ex motorsport driver and rider and a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, myself and at least 20 other riders (and 4-5 off duty Police) would go on a Sunday ride out every week come  sunshine or snow (and sheet ice). 

These rideouts were routes of around 200 miles whilst making progress and assessing each others skills, and not once did we have an incident in 2 years.

Maybe we could arrange a drive out to a track where Cayman drivers could learn to control their cars and not be a danger to others. Just a thought.

The issue you get today is Liability and runs out, and no one will put there name to that I am sure , your car MAY NOT be insured for a run. Also what ever you say, people do try and keep up esp if they get stuck, people will start to take risks.  less risk on bikes as they can over take anywhere and do !

Then what's the format 60mph limit ! on B roads and gaps of 150 yards to save your windscreen !

If there is an issue the police will want to see a club run policy signed by people on the run and also may ask the organiser for the list of people on the run !

quoting Advanced drivers and off duty police holds no water to me,  they have issues  even holding  a steering wheel !!! and on track days are the slowest drivers !

Keith, I don't think owning a Cayman suddenly endows the driver with super driving prowess. I always approach the public road with the view that nobody driving any vehicle has the skill level to drive it safely! 

As an ex motorsport driver also I'd say the badge has little to do with driving sensibly on the road, although it does make the individual less inclined to get his kicks there.

I was a little alarmed when joining a convoy of various makes en route to a PH meet at Santa Pod last year that a few appeared to take risks and speed and "show off" and this makes it entirely unpleasant for those wishing to drive sensibly whilst still enjoying themselves. I was thinking before I saw your post that the track is exactly the place where "strangers" should mix their varying driving skills. Indeed when I bought my Cayman I sought a half day's instruction at the PEC so as to more quickly get used to the way it performs. 

As for the road, my thoughts are that it's at its best when it's just me, the car, and the road, with no other distractions, interlopers, or egoists (more "I am" than IAM).

I wonder if the good behaviour during your Sunday trips out had a little to do with the 4-5 Police Officers in attendance? 

The trip Nick attended in Wales sounded the prefect solution. As I recall this was a prescribed "drivers" route, making your own progress, no time pressures, and not in convoy, forming small groups if preferred with their own agreed set of "rules", stopping at points of interest or beauty, with one of the organisers always at the rear to ensure nobody got lost and another at the destination to greet everyone.

One other thing springs to mind. When my wife and I spent a few days in Herefordshire the B&B gave us a CD. This gave us turn by turn directions to points of interest off the beaten track and was thoroughly enjoyable. I wonder if anyone produces such a thing for driving enjoyment rather than sight-seeing?

I'm not a 'ex' any thing and a run out does not interest me, I possibly would follow the bloke in front and find myself going quicker than my skill level. You cant police who is joining in and their skill or attitude. Lets face it, if you want to get close to the limit on these cars you need to go on a track day. Really not that expensive compared to the car cost, you can get insurance, instruction and drive as fast as you are comfortable with. Doesn't stop some people acting like p**cks though but at least there are no innocent bystanders or cows to plough into.

I've booked Snetterton for April, and a 20 minute lesson.

• Tom unfeatured and unpinned this topic