Hi

This is interesting, I carry an Audew starter battery in the car for just such an occasion. I am now concerned that the procedure outlined in the manual under some circumstance may not open the front lid. Is there anyone else that has not been able to access the battery with the normal procedure? I don't want to test it by disconnecting the battery in case of creating secondary problems.Didn't know that there was a manual way of opening the front lid.

Bushman you need to learn from this and show more love to Cayman:grouphug:

Barry

• Like 1

I think the PSM failure is an alert because of the flat battery. I've read that you can get the same when you disconnect a charged battery and put it back on again. A short drive let's the brain decide all is well in PSM land and cancels the alert.

My battery died yesterday and will be swapped tomorrow, so I guess I'll see similar errors.

• Like 1

note to BarryB. all Poxters and Caymans are evidently fitted with lock release cables as in some countries, USA included, by law, the emergency services must have a way of accessing the batteries and engines to switch them off or isolate them. My front lid cable terminates behind the front nearside wheel arch liner. on my mates Poxster its under the offside wheel arch liner. on Yankee spec cars its in the A pillar door shuts  beside the door hinge. The rear lid cable disappears off to the nearside round the tail light cluster and presumably terminates somewhere under the rear wheel arch liner. I might extend it with a proper ring pull if I can find it next time the rear wheels have to come off, ( just in case I feel the need to check the water level whilst the battery is dead flat) or more likely, I lock myself out.!

On 04/09/2017 at 13:00, Beanoir said:

Yep, PSM warning does disappear if you take it for a spin for a few miles following a battery change.  

I'm pretty sure that the PSM light is due to the fact that the steering angle sensor requires calibration after the battery is disconnected.  Going lock to lock whilst stationary, then moving forward, it should disappear after 20-30 metres.

The windows are also the same.  All the way up and all the way down so that the DME knows where those positions are.

• Like 1

It does - I changed my battery today for a new, shiny, expensive, over priced, genuine Porsche item (yep - still a Mol) and can confirm that all the errors were gone within a few yards of driving it.

On the plus side, the engine is running much smoother. The slightly uneven idle is now absolutely smooth. Perhaps the uneven idle was a symptom of an old battery starting to fail ?

• Like 1