Windymiller

987.2 Lower rear 'coffin' arms

Recommended Posts

Just wondering what the general consensus on replacing these is - i.e. OEM Porsche items, or 'other'?

 

i understand that the TRW ones are 'the' Porsche ones, but without the branding, but TRW seem not to manufacture these anymore since the company has been acquired by ZF and they seem to be as rare as rocking horse doodoo.

 

Anyone used the Meyle ones - are they cheap Chinese junk?

 

im not interested in 'Carlos-fandango' tack-upgrade spec levels (yet... ????). 

 

whilst I think the OEM ones are highly priced I think it would be a false economy to buy 'cheap' if they won't last as long. 

 

Or or is just replacing the 'moving parts' (cam bolt and rubber bushes for poly') a pragmatic solution - after all the arm itself is just a chunk of cast metal. 

 

Cheers, Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hartech used to do "refurb" OEM coffin arms at sensible prices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive recently fitted the meyle ones on my 987 and they look fine.the casting was not quite as good as the original part but hard to tell a difference.obviously the real test is how long the balljoints/bushes last.i paid £110 for a pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, banjo said:

ive recently fitted the meyle ones on my 987 and they look fine.the casting was not quite as good as the original part but hard to tell a difference.obviously the real test is how long the balljoints/bushes last.i paid £110 for a pair.

£110 for a pair! That’s amazing - where from?  Design911 do the Meyles for £135 each. £302 each for the OEM ones. 

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it these arms aren’t serviceable items?

 

its a low tech bit of kit! 

Its it not possible to press out the bushes/ball joint and replace with new?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

£110 for a pair! That’s amazing - where from?  Design911 do the Meyles for £135 each. £302 each for the OEM ones. 

 

Cheers

hi

 

ebay seller tierod69 although i think they have just put the price up slightly.

this was the best price i could find for a pair of meyle coffin arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sidepod said:

I take it these arms aren’t serviceable items?

 

its a low tech bit of kit! 

Its it not possible to press out the bushes/ball joint and replace with new?

the bushes can be replaced but it works out to just replace if you can get the new arms at a good price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaps, the Meyle online catalogue suggests the items being sold by ebay member tierod69 may not be correct for the 987.2.

 

He is listing a pair for £118.99, Meyle part number 416 050 0000.  The Meyle catalogue shows a change from 416 050 0000 to part number 416 050 0009 fairly early in the 987.1 (Gen 1) production run, from chassis number 986U774552 (my early 2006 built car is about 600 units before this).

 

I'm not certain but think the difference may be a change to a harder bushing material.

Edited by Woodhouse
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

Chaps, the Meyle online catalogue suggests the items being sold by ebay member tierod69 may not be correct for the 987.2.

 

He is listing a pair for £118.99, Meyle part number 416 050 0000.  The Meyle catalogue shows a change from 416 050 0000 to part number 416 050 0009 fairly early in the 987.1 (Gen 1) production run, from chassis number 986U774552 (my early 2006 built car is about 600 units before this).

 

I'm not certain but think the difference may be a change to a harder bushing material.

 

are you sure its not to do with the fact these parts only fit the rear? the front coffin arms are different from around 2006 on so i think the different part no is to show a difference.i may be wrong though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rear arms changed early on the 987.1 run.

 

I think they're essentially the same bar the middle bush, which was firmed up.

 

Hartech still do refurb arms, but not sure if they do the updated rear arm. I refreshed all my coffin arms with Hartech refurbs earlier this year, so they definitely do the front arms and the early rear arms (my car is a very early 3.4S), but not sure if they do the updated rear arms.

 

That said, the middle bush is serviceable, so you could get the early refurb from Hartech and then whack a Powerflex bush in the middle slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read a lot of opinion and conjecture around the wonder web about Meyle parts vs OEM I thought I’d take the unconvential and potentially cobtrstep of actually contacting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Having read a lot of opinion and conjecture around the wonder web about Meyle parts vs OEM I thought I’d take the unconvential and potentially cobtrstep of actually contacting 

 

....contacting....??

 

dont keep us hanging like this o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read a lot of opinion and conjecture around the wonder web about Meyle parts vs OEM I thought I’d take the unconvential and potentially controversial step of actually contacting the manufacturer Meyle to enquire about whether they did a ‘HD’ (better than OEM) version of the 987 rear coffin arms / wishbones, and what the Shore (Engineering hardness / resistance to deformation scale) rating of the bushing material is in the ‘standard’ version of their product. Here’s their response:

 

Good morning Jason,

 

Thank you for your enquiry and interest in MEYLE parts.

 

We do not have an HD version of this part I’m afraid.

 

The inner bush has the same shore hardness as OE, the outer bush has a 10-12% increase to make this more durable.

 

If you need anything else then please feel free to ask. 

 

Kind regards 

Benjamin Kelly 
Sales and Operations Administrator 

MEYLE UK Ltd. 
47 Dolphin Road, Shoreham-by-Sea  
West Sussex, BN43 6PB, United Kingdom 
General Enquiries +44 (0)1273 463686  
Fax  +44 (0)1273 311678 
Web www.meyle.com

 

So it would seem that the Meyle product is as good as Porsche (TRW / ZF as it is now since acquisition) OEM (or even better) certainly in respect of the bushing material. 

 

I think I’ll go for Meyle come service time next year and save myslef £340 on a pair of arms compared to Porsche prices. 

 

Hope me this helps others. 

 

Jason

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

 

....contacting....??

 

dont keep us hanging like this o.O

Sorry, hit ‘post’ by accident in mid type, then lost 4G / wifi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now