Cayman 2008 automatic reliability

Amado

Dears,

I am new to the forum and Caymans. I would appreciate feedback from you experienced Cayman owners. I found a 2008 automatic base model that sells for 11k$, it's done 60,000 miles. I am reading mixed reviews about the reliability of these cars, some say 2008 models don't suffer much from the IMS bearing issue, but the thing is here is quite hot most of the year so I wonder how that has affected the car. I think Porsche Caymans have the best handling which what I am looking for, and there are not much available used Cayman's in the market here.... I appreciate your advice! thanks.

Hi Amado. welcome on board. If this Cayman is a 2.7 and been well looked after and serviced there should be no worries. the M97 varicam engine has less IMS or RMS issues than the M96 engine and only the horror stories get aired. the thousands of happy owners with reliable cars don't complain and you never hear from them. I've heard that the switch shift auto boxes are a bit soft for a true sports car but that doesnt make then unreliable. 3.4s engines are more prone to cylinder liners cracking up, called de-chunking, bigger bores mean a thinner liner. strangely enough it appears that engines that are warmed up correctly then thrashed to within an inch of their lives don't suffer as much as an engine that is kept in low revs only. A big puff of blue smoke every time you hit the loud pedal from tickover idle is a telltale sign, don't worry about a smokey puff on startup, most flat or boxer engines do this as unlike a straight or vee engines the residue oil will not drain back into the sump and gets swept into the combustion chamber with the first piston movement. hope this helps good luck with your car search.

• Like 1

Very interesting Bushman. I was a little concerned re a slight puff of smoke on start up after being stood idle, thankfully I have no other smoking issues other than roll ups ! Cheers 

• Like 1

Thanks, I bought the car, it's not very well maintained, a lot of wear and tear. But the one thing that worries me is the sound of TUKK on accelerating from idle, someone told me it might be the gas filter or valves because the car was parked for one year without moving, any ideas?

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys, I bought it Cayman 2008 grey 3 years ago now i changed its color to red, has been an amazing driving experience even though it's base model.

now some parts are missing,

1- one left front headlight washer nozzle

2- one right front bumper splitter

3- The cupholders were not working so i sealed it shut, maybe i can fix it

4- Some AC dash vents need replacement

5- A speaker of the Bose system stopped working after installing new screen, can't find the wiring diagram.

6- Ac sometimes blows out some spongy black material maybe tube lining

7- There is sometimes a metal squeaking noise coming from the front, maybe it's the differential, the mechanic doesn't know!

Apart from that the car is a dream, if you know guys where to find these parts online or how to fix these issues i would begrateful, thanks.

Red Cayman.jpg