Tyre wear

DJMC

1 hour ago, Tom said:

It would be helpful if you could share with us prices and where you are sourcing your new tyres, i'm sure other members would appreciate it given the interest many of us have in them:91_thumbsup: 

Cheers

At the time of quoting some two weeks ago the cost for a set was £958 fitted, from GT Tyres, Forres ... twenty five miles East of Inverness. This price compares to £1186 fitted, as quoted by Aberdeen OPC.

235/35 x 20 N0 - £211 each         265/35 x 20 N0 - £268 each

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mk1 said:

You will find answers to most of your questions if you search out the info. on the PCGB Forum, why not go look ? 

The primary delay in the availability of the N0 version of the PS4S relates to the Porsche - Michelin test, development and approval process ... I believe. 

I am paying less than the prices that you quoted earlier. 

I have to disagree. Jamie McWhir, Michelin UK Technical Manager, told me in January 2016 that the PS4 was already N marked, fully tested by Porsche on various european circuits, and due to launch the 718. I've spoken to him every six months or so since then and he always says "they're due out next month." It's great that they're on erm... one UK car (when they were supposed to be on MOST 718 models in the factory) but something smells...

Oh... and Nick... was it the office party today? Bah, Humbug tomorrow with a hangover? 

Edited by DJMC

1 hour ago, DJMC said:

I have to disagree. Jamie McWhir, Michelin UK Technical Manager, told me in January 2016 that the PS4 was already N marked, fully tested by Porsche on various european circuits, and due to launch the 718. I've spoken to him every six months or so since then and he always says "they're due out next month." It's great that they're on erm... one UK car (when they were supposed to be on MOST 718 models in the factory) but something smells...

Oh... and Nick... was it the office party today? Bah, Humbug tomorrow with a hangover? 

Fair enough.

The N0 tyres that I have seen on `that one Cayman` are dated late 2016 front, late 2017 rear ... suggesting or smelling of ? 

The tyres are believed to be the first set of their size / type sold through the Michelin dealer network for a used (late 2016) car.

Thoughts relating to why they were not available until recently are ... that development / production of the rears required further time. 

What are the "thoughts" about the rear tyre development based upon? For you to be specific about the rears suggests you have some knowledge about the need for more time to sort them. Could you please elaborate on where this comes from? Who told you, or what information have you found on the 'net?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at all. Indeed I welcome any snippet of information about the PS4S, as there is next to nothing available upon which those coming from Pirelli or Goodyear can base an informed purchase of PS4S tyres.

4 hours ago, Trickle said:

If ever there was a topic which raised such debate among Porsche enthusiasts it’s tyres...

Agreed ... few completely understand them, few can use them anywhere near their full potential ... the best that we do is afford them. 

5 hours ago, DJMC said:

What are the "thoughts" about the rear tyre development based upon? For you to be specific about the rears suggests you have some knowledge about the need for more time to sort them. Could you please elaborate on where this comes from? Who told you, or what information have you found on the 'net?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at all. Indeed I welcome any snippet of information about the PS4S, as there is next to nothing available upon which those coming from Pirelli or Goodyear can base an informed purchase of PS4S tyres.

Not sure that I have an answer that would completely satisfy you ? .. I shall try though.

What are the "thoughts" about the rear tyre development based upon?

The fact that the Michelin dealer that supplied / fitted said tyres to  `that Cayman` in November said ... that they were the first set supplied / sold in the UK.

The fact that the front tyres are date marked 4616 and the rears 3817 ... fronts not released until the rears were ready. 

The fact that Michelin (including your contact) have continually delayed their release. 

For you to be specific about the rears suggests you have some knowledge about the need for more time to sort them.

The knowledge is based on the facts above; association with the owner of the 718 CS that has them fitted; association with the said supplying dealer.

Could you please elaborate on where this comes from?

As above.

Who told you?

As above.

What information have you found on the 'net?

Porsche Club Great Britain ... Forum discussion. 

Other information ... not directly associated with your questions

The 235/35 x 20 N0 & 265/35 x 20 N0 are rated B for wet grip ... the exact same tyres in non N rating are rated A for wet grip 

... reinforcing Porsche`s development / performance requirements pp Michelin`s direct answer to my associated question of `why` ? 

The PS4S N0 is not on the current, published Porsche Approved tyre list.

The PS4S N0 in the above sizes is on my OPC`s approved tyre list but not for my 981 CS ... I do not know which cars it is approved for? 

Amen ... 

Doesn’t matter in any case, when Trump flips and nukes Germany because Merkal was mean to him we’ll be burning the tyres to keep warm in the proceeding dystopian wasteland.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mk1 said:

Not sure that I have an answer that would completely satisfy you ? .. I shall try though.

What are the "thoughts" about the rear tyre development based upon?

The fact that the Michelin dealer that supplied / fitted said tyres to  `that Cayman` in November said ... that they were the first set supplied / sold in the UK.

The fact that the front tyres are date marked 4616 and the rears 3817 ... fronts not released until the rears were ready. 

The fact that Michelin (including your contact) have continually delayed their release. 

For you to be specific about the rears suggests you have some knowledge about the need for more time to sort them.

The knowledge is based on the facts above; association with the owner of the 718 CS that has them fitted; association with the said supplying dealer.

Could you please elaborate on where this comes from?

As above.

Who told you?

As above.

What information have you found on the 'net?

Porsche Club Great Britain ... Forum discussion. 

Other information ... not directly associated with your questions

The 235/35 x 20 N0 & 265/35 x 20 N0 are rated B for wet grip ... the exact same tyres in non N rating are rated A for wet grip 

... reinforcing Porsche`s development / performance requirements pp Michelin`s direct answer to my associated question of `why` ? 

The PS4S N0 is not on the current, published Porsche Approved tyre list.

The PS4S N0 in the above sizes is on my OPC`s approved tyre list but not for my 981 CS ... I do not know which cars it is approved for? 

Amen ... 

Ta.

Finally sorted out - not entirely to my satisfaction, though.  The original cracked 19in Pirelli N0s were replaced by the OPC by a set of Pirelli N1 tyres FOC.  They had originally offered replacement N0s, claiming to be unaware of their problems.  My preference was for Michelin PS4s, but said not to be available in N rating.  That shows the nonsense of the delays by Porsche to rate tyres quickly.  I was lent a 718 fitted with N1 Pirelli tyres.  Both on the 718 and my 981, the Pirelli tyres do not feel as good as the PS4s on my son's BMW.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/12/2017 at 20:38, DJMC said:

Ta.

PS4S N0 fitted yesterday, 100 miles so far ... a few more `running in` to do.

Geometry check (Hunter) prior to fitting revealed front to be slightly out of spec, reset front and rear to `personal preference` (assist from other enthusiasts). 

Initial impressions being a quieter, smoother ride with a smoother steering feel. The acute steering lock tyre shuffle with the PZero`s is very much reduced / eliminated. 

The expensive wheel balancing machine ... https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite