Tyre wear

DJMC

10 hours ago, DJMC said:

Havard, there's a couple of issues here...

Pirelli may claim there's a correlation between lack of use (8k in 4 years) and perishing of the rubber. I seem to recall reading about this somewhere, as well as cold affecting rubber, but you're best to do some research to be ready to argue against this if they do. I don't recall any official source saying either of these are correct, but it's been a while since mine were a problem.

When were the tyres manufactured? Look for the date code, such as "4913" (week 49 of 2013).

Don't forget that in my case OPC Reading said they were fine and then, being worried still, 6k miles later Pirelli said they were not fine. I guess you mean deemed safe by Pirelli?

Overall though, if you notice something which doesn't look right or safe in your eyes even if the best authority (Pirelli) say they are fine it may (and should) niggle away at you.

To put it another way, you go into a tyre retailer for new tyres and they pull out four with cracks in the rubber. You spot this and say "You're not going to fit those to my car surely?" They tell you not to worry and "They're often like that sir." Do you stand your ground or do you accept that what you think doesn't matter all of a sudden and they must be right?

And one other thing... your tyres are THE most important part of your car, safety-wise, so be careful.

One thing I will be good at is arguing and yes, I would want a written statement from Pirelli that they are fine. I haven't even mentioned to my OPC about the problem.  The car is under warranty till the end of 2018 and I only got the car late August.  It was while shining the tyres on Sunday, I notice the problem.

We have 4 other cars in the household, one of them has done 800 miles on track with older date codes so I won't be taking any crap.  All 16 other tyres, do not have this kind of issue and some of them are 2011 date codes.  The ones on the CS are 2813 IIRC.

Just off into the garage to take some photos.

H.

Edited by Havard

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  Guy at Pirelli has organised for the tyres to be replaced without even seeing them.

Called me today to confirm a dealer in Bolton will swap them but Pirelli won't pay the fitting costs £60

I suppose getting fresh rubber all round for £60 is a good deal. Original tyres still have 6 - 7mm on them though.

H.

On 11/29/2017 at 07:31, Mk1 said:

Great result ... a much better service than I had. 

I assume that you are having the N1 tyre ?

I am not sure to be honest.  I doubt they would provide the same tyre they have previously had problems with.  In which case I can see me ringing them again in a few years time.

Do they still do the N0 tyres after all the issues?  Will have to have a google.

H.

2 hours ago, Havard said:

I am not sure to be honest.  I doubt they would provide the same tyre they have previously had problems with.  In which case I can see me ringing them again in a few years time.

Do they still do the N0 tyres after all the issues?  Will have to have a google.

H.

The N0 are still available ... !!!

A friend has been running the N1 on his 718 CS PDK for the past year, no cracking.

Edited by Mk1

Ok.  Car went in today and had all four tyres replaced.  They are the N0 tyre again and I have been assured that they a different design to the originals from 2013.  I must admit, they do look a lot chunkier on the side wall and the rim protector is massive.

Make the car look more aggressive than the originals.  I have told them that if the cracking starts again, I will be back on to them and they are happy to take that on.  The service from Pirelli has been excellent and the guy who met me today in Bolton was spot on.

I will keep you updated.  He did say that they advise not to use tyre shine and just use natural wax instead.

H.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 09:22, Mk1 said:

As above ... I have chosen to rely on my own initial and subsequent ongoing inspections. I will replace them with PZero N1`s in the near future.

A recent `cracking` inspection revealed no apparent deterioration, however now that the Michelin PS4S is available in 20" N0 ... a set will be fitted within the next few weeks. 

On 20/12/2017 at 10:04, Mk1 said:

A recent `cracking` inspection revealed no apparent deterioration, however now that the Michelin PS4S is available in 20" N0 ... a set will be fitted within the next few weeks. 

Not so sure both front and rear 20" "N" marked (Porsche approved) PS4S are available in the U.K.

Tyreleader show them in stock at £225 and £270. Black Circles had them two weeks ago but now don't.

Michelin told me on 5th December they aren't available in the UK and don't know when they will be...

5a3bfb179f38d_ScreenShot2017-12-21at18_16_45.png.04392cf87b195c061484d4d7909cc9f4.png

They may be available TO the U.K. from the EU (as with Black Circles) but I would think the price IN the UK will be lower once (or indeed IF) we see them being sold by UK tyre companies big time. Bearing in mind it's 23, yes 23 months since Michelin UK's technical manager told me the 20" PS4 for the 718/981 will "soon be available" I very much doubt we will EVER see them here. See my thread "Michelin N0 marked tyres" from 27 Jan 2016 under the 981 Cayman section. I'd post a link to it but when I do it just brings up the banner under instead of the link address?

Mods please note...

I do not deal with internet companies for these tyres. 

The front tyres are `here`, the rears are due soon ... 

There is already one Cayman running them ... here in the UK.

10 hours ago, Mk1 said:

I do not deal with internet companies for these tyres. 

The front tyres are `here`, the rears are due soon ... 

There is already one Cayman running them ... here in the UK.

One Cayman, when they were supposed to be the 718 launch tyre? Something is wrong. Apart from this, I'm just highlighting that Michelin themselves say they're not in the UK yet, so imported PS4S are bound to be more pricey than when they land here properly from Michelin direct rather than via some EU distribution source. But that's fine. I welcome more owners buying them asap so I can see how they have fared when my GYs are due a change at 30-35k (at 21k now, rears at 4.5mm, fronts have more).

That `one Cayman` had them recently fitted, replacing PZero N1`s.

Appreciate the information, it appears that we have conflicting sources. I am dealing direct with an approved Michelin agent whose prices are excellent. 

If you wish further info. on the Cayman running them go to the PCGB Forum.

1 hour ago, Mk1 said:

That `one Cayman` had them recently fitted, replacing PZero N1`s.

Appreciate the information, it appears that we have conflicting sources. I am dealing direct with an approved Michelin agent whose prices are excellent. 

If you wish further info. on the Cayman running them go to the PCGB Forum.

Someone on PH had found them on Black Circles. When I contacted BC they said they were imported from the EU. There's no issue with this other than price as I suspect a "middle man" is taking a cut. But it does seem strange that the 20" PS4S has been "around" for 2 years yet they're only just becoming available in the UK, and I suspect via the "back door."

All I'm doing presently is occasionally looking up price and availability to keep tabs on them for a distant purchase. But more important is finding owners who have experienced PZero or F1 A2 and then move to the Michelins, for feedback. That may take a while!

59 minutes ago, DJMC said:

Someone on PH had found them on Black Circles. When I contacted BC they said they were imported from the EU. There's no issue with this other than price as I suspect a "middle man" is taking a cut. But it does seem strange that the 20" PS4S has been "around" for 2 years yet they're only just becoming available in the UK, and I suspect via the "back door."

All I'm doing presently is occasionally looking up price and availability to keep tabs on them for a distant purchase. But more important is finding owners who have experienced PZero or F1 A2 and then move to the Michelins, for feedback. That may take a while!

You will find answers to most of your questions if you search out the info. on the PCGB Forum, why not go look ? 

The primary delay in the availability of the N0 version of the PS4S relates to the Porsche - Michelin test, development and approval process ... I believe. 

I am paying less than the prices that you quoted earlier. 

36 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

I'm calling bullshit

Wow ... on what of the info. that I have posted and on what grounds please ? 

Edited by Mk1

• Founder
2 minutes ago, Mk1 said:

Wow ... on what of the info. that I have posted and on what grounds please ? 

On lack of info! If you’ve got a source then you should share it or stop shouting about it.  

• Like 1

Just now, Beanoir said:

On lack of info! If you’ve got a source then you should share it or stop shouting about it.  

Patience !!! 

Tom was I believe the first person to request the specific details on source and price, I was just about to answer him when your response landed. 

Does being a Founder give you some sort of authority to determine what and how information is provided ?