Aftermarket Sat Nav and head unit

• 3 years later...

Rehashing an old thread..

I'll be getting a Pioneer head unit installed this Friday to go with the Bose Speaker setup.  Will adopt a phased approach to see if I want to upgrade the main component speakers but I understand that with a higher end, current model head unit, sound quality will see (hear that is) an instant improvement over the 12 year old stock bose HU.

The Pioneer HU will also give me navi (which I don't currently have) capability on a color screen and with with a steering integration control unit added, I will have hands free which I also currently don't have.  

Edited by Liongolfer

1 hour ago, Liongolfer said:

I'll be getting a Pioneer head unit installed this Friday to go with the Bose Speaker setup.  Will adopt a phased approach to see if I want to upgrade the main component speakers but I understand that with a higher end, current model head unit, sound quality will see (hear that is) an instant improvement over the 12 year old stock bose HU.

The Pioneer HU will also give me navi (which I don't currently have) capability on a color screen and with with a steering integration control unit added, I will have hands free which I also currently don't have.  

Have you seen the options though on this thread

• Founder
4 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

The Headunit will improve your sound quality, but the real archillies heel is the Bose amp, it’s shockingly awful.  The best thing to do is rip it all out and start again quite honestly.  Not cheap, and takes some time but we’ll worth doing.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

The Headunit will improve your sound quality, but the real archillies heel is the Bose amp, it’s shockingly awful.  The best thing to do is rip it all out and start again quite honestly.  Not cheap, and takes some time but we’ll worth doing.  

I'm not a real audiophile (any more) and for 8 years, I thought the Bose system was very decent until I upgraded the speakers in my kids' ride with Pioneer components and coaxs.  That has an older and lower end Pioneer head unit than the model I'm installing tomorrow. Bose has good base albeit a tad flat to my ears.  Hopefully the EQ and sub tuning features in the Pioneer HU can help with some gain. The mid range now which I think affects vocals can be compromised and a tad muffled at times. Depending on what I play, high end can be a tad bright.  Again, hopefully the more modern Pioneer can help with that via their EQ functions.

I'm going with Pioneer as its supposed to be better for music than most android HUs and all I need is navi and hans free calls.  No need for all the android features.  I'm not even bothering to activate the reverse cam given how small our rides are.  If the sound is still lacking, I will install the Pioneer D series components and that will be it regardless.  That said, I'm wondering if the center speaker should be upgraded as I do get quite a bit from that.  The rear speakers are really bit part contributors to my ears.

ICE can be a slippery slope which I'm definitely not planning to get on.

Edited by Liongolfer

On 19/01/2022 at 22:12, Beanoir™ said:

Hmmm.. the Pioneer HU is installed and running on all the stock Bose speakers, sub and amp.

I think you're right with the Bose amp.  I seem to have lost a lot of the boomy flat bass.. A bit too much really and now want a tad more.  However, the high and mid ranges have significantly improved.  Vocals are now clearer and more crisp.

I'm going back to see if they can tune with the EQ etc to get more bass.  Really don't want to throw more money into an amp but if really needed, would going to a powered under seat sub be a better and cheaper alternative?  It's a small cabin after all.

Edited by Liongolfer

• Founder

Yes, it’s a hopeless amp.  

I am part way through doing mine, but I have my heart set on a certain amp which is costly so will have to wait.  I have got a thread on 911UK which maps out some of what I’ve been up to.  

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=143756&highlight=

Essentially, the Bose tweeters in the 981/991 are a weak point and easily upgraded, not so much of an issue in the 987 though.  The other big difference to sound quality is sound proofing the doors, it’s not costly and makes a real difference to bass response, so well worth doing.  I was really pleased with the result on mine.  

Got my sound retuned again.  They rewired the sub again and bass is fully back now.  Really happy with the sound.

As mentioned earlier, clarity in the mid and high range have been enhanced with the Pioneer HU and vocals are much better.  Running on all stock speakers.

Thanks again for the inputs.

Is there any value in just doing the speakers - I have the SAT NAV on my 11 plate with sound package plus. I hear that replacing the head unit makes the most difference, but I don't want to spoil the look and built in functionality.. 

(I do love carplay though- would be nice to get this at some point in distant future - so useful).

So is it worth upgrading the speakers alone  - especially the rears they are kind of awful!

Edited by futureechos

8 minutes ago, futureechos said:

Is there any value in just doing the speakers - I have the SAT NAV on my 11 plate with sound package plus. I hear that replacing the head unit makes the most difference, but I don't want to spoil the look and built in functionality.. 

(I do love carplay though- would be nice to get this at some point in distant future - so useful).

So is it worth upgrading the speakers alone  - especially the rears they are kind of awful!

If you have navi and hands free built in, then I'd go speakers.  I didn't have either hence the head unit approach.  

I'm told upgrading the rear all else being equal yields little upside.  The sound guy told me that even though I wanted to get a set of speakers from him.  I'd start with a good set of components for the front and go from there. 

On 27/01/2022 at 04:53, Liongolfer said:

Got my sound retuned again.  They rewired the sub again and bass is fully back now.  Really happy with the sound.

As mentioned earlier, clarity in the mid and high range have been enhanced with the Pioneer HU and vocals are much better.  Running on all stock speakers.

Thanks again for the inputs.

Hi @Liongolfer, glad you you've managed to get the issue fixed! I'm looking to do the same in a Gen1 very soon... can I ask what model you went with and who you used to do the install?

4 hours ago, James Mitchinson said:

Hi @Liongolfer, glad you you've managed to get the issue fixed! I'm looking to do the same in a Gen1 very soon... can I ask what model you went with and who you used to do the install?

Hi, mine is an older but higher end model (then). AVH-X8850BT.  

I'm 14 hours flight away from you 🙂