Cayman S 987.2 Lowering

Nis200K

On 14/11/2019 at 15:12, Ben said:

On the slightly less positive side....

- it cost me a lot more than I initially thought to get fitted (actually nearly double) which was primarily due to the number of knackered/rusted/seized parts that needed removing/replacing (control arms, top mounts/bearings etc).  Took over 8 hours in labour.

-------------------------------------------------------

Interested to know how much they charged for fitting the springs? :35_thinking:

I had planned to fit mine over the last few days but the weather put me off lol... I'll prob do it in Spring now :34_rolling_eyes:

Edited by Mavrik

On 23/11/2019 at 15:33, sevenfourate said:

Any more thoughts / opinions after a few miles @Ben ?

Hi Syer

Sorry for the delayed response - work and other things got in the way!  And the rubbish weather which has limited the amount of times I've been out in the car recently.

Happily though I had the chance to take the Cayman out on Sunday morning for a run in the New Forest.  And my initial impressions have been confirmed - I love the way it handles now.  Not that it handled badly before - but everything just feels improved - much flatter around corners, more feedback, more planted, and therefore inspires much greater confidence.  And the car also looks so much better now IMO - not too low, which I was a little concerned about - just right.  And no problems with speed bumps or pot holes.

The only other thing I would have liked to have done is to upgrade to adjustable dampers, but that would have been a step too far for the wallet right now.  And the current setup seems pretty decent to me.  So one for the future perhaps.

So overall, yes, I would definitely recommend the H&R springs and spacers combo. But just be prepared to pay a fair whack for fitting, particularly if, as mine, the suspension hasn't been fettled with for quite a while!

13 hours ago, Ben said:

Hi Syer

Sorry for the delayed response - work and other things got in the way!  And the rubbish weather which has limited the amount of times I've been out in the car recently.

Happily though I had the chance to take the Cayman out on Sunday morning for a run in the New Forest.  And my initial impressions have been confirmed - I love the way it handles now.  Not that it handled badly before - but everything just feels improved - much flatter around corners, more feedback, more planted, and therefore inspires much greater confidence.  And the car also looks so much better now IMO - not too low, which I was a little concerned about - just right.  And no problems with speed bumps or pot holes.

The only other thing I would have liked to have done is to upgrade to adjustable dampers, but that would have been a step too far for the wallet right now.  And the current setup seems pretty decent to me.  So one for the future perhaps.

So overall, yes, I would definitely recommend the H&R springs and spacers combo. But just be prepared to pay a fair whack for fitting, particularly if, as mine, the suspension hasn't been fettled with for quite a while!

I'm not at all surprised by your feelings and thoughts Ben.

My previous weekend car (And also my now current daily ( 'only' ) had some Eibach Sport range springs fitted - that were supposedly comprehensively designed around; and made to compliment the stock dampers and made primarily for road-use. And like your H+R's; were slightly firmer, a fairly minimal drop, have made the car sit flatter in the twisties and made a huge improvement over stock in terms of driver enjoyment.

Some folk do 'knock' the concept of 'just' whacking a set of springs on. Saying its cheap, the dampers will now work outside of their intended range of movement etc etc. And that a full set of coil-overs blah blah is the only way to go or don't bother kind of thing. And i'm 100% sure there's a large element of truth about that - of course. Especially if were talking a large drop / extremely firm springs / trying to make the car track-ready on the cheap  - or taking anything to the extreme per-se.

BUT: if done well / thought about properly: i personally have hugely enjoyed and had no problems at all with going about lowering my car / improving the looks / enjoying some improved road manners the cheap (Cheaper in your case ?? 🙂 ) way......

And yes - arch-gap on a stock Cayman always been a little too much,and as per many cars - the wheel inset a little too much also imo, So you've killed quite a few stones with your cheap 🙂 Springs and spacers. And i can tell you're genuinely enthused by them. Good stuff ! Continued health to enjoy buddy......

• Like 1

Also the car is booked in to have the caliper paintwork sorted next week, and Regal have told me they will pick up the cost, so I'm happy with that!

I can't fault the work they did on the suspension of the car, they obviously know what they're doing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben said:

Also the car is booked in to have the caliper paintwork sorted next week, and Regal have told me they will pick up the cost, so I'm happy with that!

I can't fault the work they did on the suspension of the car, they obviously know what they're doing!

That's good to hear Ben ! Not taken too long either......

Just scrolled back to look at your pics. What colour did you have the calipers done in ?

**Complimenting or contrasting 😁

On 27/11/2019 at 21:25, sevenfourate said:

That's good to hear Ben ! Not taken too long either......

Just scrolled back to look at your pics. What colour did you have the calipers done in ?

**Complimenting or contrasting 😁

They're yellow - zinc yellow to be exact!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Calipers restored to previous condition (and bill picked up by Regal Autosport, so full marks to them!).  And the more I drive it the more I love the new suspension setup.  I can't find any negative aspects to it.  They should come out of the factory like this.  Would definitely recommend!

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Calipers restored to previous condition (and bill picked up by Regal Autosport, so full marks to them!).  And the more I drive it the more I love the new suspension setup.  I can't find any negative aspects to it.  They should come out of the factory like this.  Would definitely recommend!

Brilliant !!

Your pictures of these fab looking and sounding calipers appear to be missing though Ben 🙂

14 hours ago, Ben said:

Couple of close ups of the calipers and the car in the daylight after springs and spacers install:

IMG_20191117_170622.jpg

IMG_20191201_155754.jpg

IMG_20191201_155906.jpg

IMG_20191117_170536.jpg

Stance is absolutely FANTASTIC Ben. Just perfect imo. If you know you know.......but at a glance doesn't smack you in the face of boy-racer, "modified", big-time lowered etc etc. And clearly driving great as you stated and a big improvement from stock Very nice and you must be stoked. How it should have come from the factory for sure !!

And the colour and contrast of the calipers looks really well. Clearly not copying red calipers of an S, And provides a welcome break up of 'normal' colouration. Brilliant !

Caliper painting quality looks fab. Have the decals been lacquered over for reference ?  Couple of small things would nark me if i'm 100% truthful; The over-spray on the brake lines (Or have they done all of them....were the calipers done whilst 'on the car' ?......and the re-fitting of the old nipples for the sake of not many quid a corner; when you could have stuck some nice stainless ones in there. But very likely that's the over-critical, over-thinking and completely anal me 😕