Cayman S 987.2 Lowering

Nis200K

So if I have this clear in my head, a PASM equipped S sits 10mm lower than non PASM and the CR sits 20mm lower that an S (my assumption being a PASM S) so in theory fitting 35mm drop springs should only put it 5mm lower than a CR. I think that’s the answer for me on my budget at the moment. I’ve taken heed of the advice ref spacers too. I’ll seek further advice but I’m assuming the suspension geometry should be settable somewhere close to original apart from perhaps a little more negative camber at the back?

On 2/25/2018 at 21:12, UKtom said:

They are a 35mm drop, I’m also running 15mm spacers rear and 7mm front - without them, your wheels do look lost in the arches!

Also if I’m honest, a 10mm drop would look no different to stock in my opinion.

Tom

@UKtom... Do you have issues with speed bumps etc? ... My 350z Convertible is lowered 35mm with Vogtland springs & it grounds out on EVERY speed bump... I have to negotiate them at an angle :4fvgdaq_th:

CH_170425_BH_Cars_Evening_1183gg.jpg

Edited by Mavrik

@Mavrik I rarely have issues with speedbumps and scraping - I do slow right down for them and take them carefully though. I dont think the cayman on 35mm springs sits as low as your 350 looks like it does!

Tom

Edited by UKtom

7 hours ago, UKtom said:

@Mavrik I rarely have issues with speedbumps and scraping - I do slow right down for them and take them carefully though. I dont think the cayman on 35mm springs sits as low as your 350 looks like it does!

Tom

Cheers for the reply... I'm considering using the Vogtland 30mm lowering springs on my Gen1 Cayman S

Anyone used these?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vogtland-Lowering-Performance-Springs-Porsche-Cayman-Type-987-incl-S-11-05/302520799334?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Model%3ACayman&hash=item466fa51066:g:3MkAAOSw10NZws6i

As I mentioned, I have similar on my 350z and the handling & ride quality is fine, if a little too low for speed bumps!

On 23/02/2018 at 11:23, PMGPete said:

Probably on air.  You guys need to drive something that is fitted with performance series air ride.  Completely adjustable set up for camber, damping etc.

A friend of my replaced his KWV3's with a performance air set up and I was genuinely blown away.

More comfortable than standard, better body control yet at the touch of a button the car and raise up for appalling roads or at a show etc it can sit nicely, then a different setting for fast road driving.

It's something I would certainly consider but at £4000+ it isn't cheap

I don’t have a problem with speed ramps at all on 35s if it helps mate, i’ve been over some fairly large ones. It’s only the little rubber wind deflectors that make a slight swoosh sound and they’re designed for it. Only time I’ve had an issue with it being lowered was when I dragged the chin on the ground by reversing the back end up an insanely steep drive, that was firmly “user error” ha

• 1 year later...

Late to the party on this.....but am debating the lowering springs thing on my PASM 987.1 CS. Was the linear versus progressive spring rate thing discussed here? I hear that linear is best for PASM cars re protecting the shocks?

On 16/09/2019 at 15:25, Craiglm68 said:

Late to the party on this.....but am debating the lowering springs thing on my PASM 987.1 CS. Was the linear versus progressive spring rate thing discussed here? I hear that linear is best for PASM cars re protecting the shocks?

I don't know the answer to that one Craig, but I just bit the bullet and bought the h&r springs as there is a code on ebay which brought them down to under £200! I imagine fitting will cost a fair whack mind... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I don't know the answer to that one Craig, but I just bit the bullet and bought the h&r springs as there is a code on ebay which brought them down to under £200! I imagine fitting will cost a fair whack mind... 

Let me know how you get along Ben re both titment and the ride thereafter....I'm putting a Maxton splitter on the front soon, and I suspect it will be closer to the ground than the current flexible affair I have installed, let along if i drop things a few more cm's!

• 1 month later...
On 23/09/2019 at 19:34, Ben said:

How did you get along in the end with the fitment, ride quality change etc Ben?

22 minutes ago, Craiglm68 said:

How did you get along in the end with the fitment, ride quality change etc Ben?

‘Firm’ would be my assumption of ride I’m guessing - if they follow the normal H+R trend on other cars. Not that that’s a bad thing 🙂

But listening with interest !

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ben said:

Springs and spacers being fitted on Tuesday chaps, along with a full geo setup, will update when complete! 

Sounds like a proper job then Ben !

Did you get a quote on the spring fitting. Is it a big job on a Cayman ?

Look forward to your thoughts......👍

@sevenfourate I'm fitting my H&R -35mm springs tomorrow 😉 Got them from Design911

I fitted Vogtland springs on my 350z GT HR & took me 2 days all told. On my driveway but in summer lol

There's a couple of decent guides on Youtube.

As long as you are fairly confident with spannering & have a decent trolley jack, ball joint splitter & spring compressors (I find 3 are easier than the usual 2) then its a doable DIY job... as long as you don't get a couple of seized bolts!! 😣

Gotta be around £500 labour for fitting at an Indi I would wager? :35_thinking:

Edited by Mavrik

I also had a pretty unpleasant experience with Regal Autosport with a simple exhaust replacement. I won't criticise them too much, because the staff are very helpful and knowledgeable, so maybe just an off day or one individual being sloppy. But when an exhaust bolt falls out within 20 miles that isn't a good start! End result a blowing exhaust, but a simple fix I did on the drive way. 

15 hours ago, Ben said:

Slightly ropy pic of the car in the rain, will try and get some better before and after pics over the weekend

IMG_20191113_190335759_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Looks ace Ben !!!

There’s no denying a standard 987 - despite however flat it corners as standard and however well it handles - does have a slight tinge of ‘tractor’ to its appearance.

And your arch gap is pretty much perfect IMO. Enough to close that gap, not enough to scrape, not low enough to scream “stance”  / lowered / OTT modified - and for a clean freak like me: just enough room to get a low profile sponge in there 😉

Looking forward to your thoughts once you’ve gotten a few dry miles in together and under your belt 👌

• Like 1