Dash cam installation

Brian

Anyone else get a dash-cam for Christmas?

Nice gadget, but now I have to work out how to install the thing

Both 12V outlets (aka cigar lighter sockets) are permanently on in the 981. The camera requires a switched supply or it never turns off

So, question to the more practically minded - any tips on routing a wire around the windscreen in a neat way or where to find a switched 12V supply? 

Thanks

I have a 987 so not sure how relevant it is. I haven't done it yet due to the weather and having to work outside but I just went out with a multi meter, removed the fuse box cover and looked at the list of fuses and tried to find something I don't have installed that I thought would be switched live. 

I dont one have a rear windscreen wiper or headlamp wash jets. Sticking a probe in the empty fuse slot soon revealed a switched positive. Remember though only one side of the fuse holder (not the fuse, this is difficult to explain) is live if you have no fuse fitted. I think it's the top but don't quote me on that. Search eBay for a fuse piggyback if you don't have a spare or a fuse pickoff if you intend to use a spare slot. 

Something similar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/231359714815 

987 is standard sized fuse, 981 you will have to check. Then it's just feed the cable round and tidy up 

Edited by markbarry1977

markbarry1977 - thank you. Very kind of you to go to so much effort

Like yourself, I'm waiting for a break in the weather

Thanks for the tips, I haven't even looked where the fuses are yet

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 19:23, DJMC said:

I take it that it doesn't have a USB connector? 

Thread here on mobius install may help with routing?: http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?/topic/64705-981-dashcam-easy-install/

Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately, I'm not a member of boxa.net, so can't read that yet

The camera does use a USB connection, why is that significant?

27 minutes ago, Brian said:

Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately, I'm not a member of boxa.net, so can't read that yet

The camera does use a USB connection, why is that significant?

Power it from the USB socket in the glove box, as per the Boxa.net (free to join) thread?

• Founder

Is the USB a permanently powered or switched on with the ignition? 

The he install on the Boxa thread is a bit messy, I'd have (have done for my DAB aerial) removed the A pillar trim and hidden the wire rather than having it visible around the screen.  

Thanks again,

Yep, signed up with Boxa.net easy enough. Looks a nice forum, I shall enjoy reading through some of those threads

Using sticky pads to hold the cable to the windscreen looks fairly tidy - might try that

The USB is always powered, just like the 12V outlet. So ne real advantage there

Once I get some time and dry weather, I'll see if I can locate a switched supply in the fuse box. There's probably some info in the owner manual when I get time to study it

• 1 month later...

Depends on how far you wish to go with the wiring, a permeant solution would be to pick up a switched live from the ignition wiring, I would probably opt for the use of a Fuse Tap / Piggy Back as suggested above. 

This will be easy to install and remove if required, having spare ways on the fuse board will make it an easy job too as any connections can be made out side of the car before the cable is run. 

I used a Fuse Tap on my MK5 Golf as it runs a CANBUS system which is a pain for installing any electrical gear.  

The 981 12v power sockets are turned off 30 minutes after the ignition, so I'm happy with the one in the glovebox for power...

Might be useful for those short stops at the supermarket etc.

There are SO many cams out there it's tricky to know what to buy! Front and rear facing would be ideal.

Thanks, I saw that.

I also watched Techmoan's multiple dash cam reviews and it's a close call between the G1W-C and the updated version of this one: 

Updated version due out soon: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119-car-dvr-factory-sample-tests.16905/

The reason I like this one is it's very discreet, with a lens close to the screen to minimise reflections.

I'll run the cable around the screen into the glovebox 12v supply until out of warranty, and then may try to hook up to a feed in the overhead console, as this chap has:

Stumbled across this video too, for amusement/tears...

Edited by DJMC

I have a mini 0806 waiting to install when I get a warm day that I can work outside. 

I did did some research on my 987.1 and found a couple of switched lives so that's my plan. It's just work, courses and weather holding me up at the moment. 

On 21 February 2016 at 00:42, markbarry1977 said:

I have a mini 0806 waiting to install when I get a warm day that I can work outside. 

I did did some research on my 987.1 and found a couple of switched lives so that's my plan. It's just work, courses and weather holding me up at the moment. 

...are they in the fuse box or the overhead console?

Another contender, the 0806. Good review here: