987 S Track Car Build Thread

I wondered if the odessy would be man enough to run the other systems. 

I’d love carbon brakes, and could be tempted by a set a sensible money, but the disk replacement cost is a worry.

the Recaro poles I put in saved 18kgs over the stock seats. I also run the spider 19’ wheels which I believe until recently were some of the lightest wheels Porsche made.

The easiest weight loss would be be drinking less red wine!

2 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

I’d love carbon brakes, and could be tempted by a set a sensible money, but the disk replacement cost is a worry.

the Recaro poles I put in saved 18kgs over the stock seats. I also run the spider 19’ wheels which I believe until recently were some of the lightest wheels Porsche made.

A friend of mine is selling a "used" set of ceramic disks for a bargain price if you are interested! Let me know and I'll ask him

• Founder
2 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

I read an interesting article today about Porsche's view on using ceramics for track.  

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1122279_carbon-ceramic-brakes-best-for-track-use-think-again-says-porsche?fbclid=IwAR0aJZWrGJnvZ6SIRBcjQrdNXMGs_Qz1S3cVyjVYkaVygbpXmb_-40LwYWw

16 hours ago, Andrea Frasky said:

A friend of mine is selling a "used" set of ceramic disks for a bargain price if you are interested! Let me know and I'll ask him

Are they the same callipers? I assume not.

15 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Sounds like if you can afford the replacement discs then they are still be best option. And you get good cool points for ceramics.

On 28/03/2019 at 11:40, Mavrik said:

---------------------------------------------------

A few guys with deep pockets use the Tillets in their bike engined kit cars (BEC).

I've tried 5 differ not seats in my car and the ear the best for my shape by miles.

35492085013_c2fce09877_z.jpg

Edited by Porsched eggs

On 27/03/2019 at 10:45, Dougle_turbo said:

That’s an easy win on weight reduction, nice work. Where did you get it from and what was the damage?

@Dougle_turbo Got it from Merlin Motorsports around £140.

On 27/03/2019 at 08:34, crafty1 said:

Nice weight saving, I am thinking about doing the same soon. Which battery and bracket did you go for please ?

@crafty1 The battery is a Extreme racing PC950 with the bracket from Merlin Motorsports. It requires some altering to get it to fit. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Looking great!!! 

Wing looks like a bigger Getty? How did you find ordering it from them if it is?

Edited by Equinox

Cheers, love the dairy milk purple! Yeah its a Getty cup car wing, ducktail with tall uprights. Ordering was easy, Mark was very helpful with dimensions, instructions and international shipping prices. 

On the Suspension geo could you let me know what settings you went for?  Taking my track focued Cayman in for a setup soon and a baseline would be useful, camber toe etc.

Cheers

@pstarkey I accidentally lost the suspension geo spec sheet which is a pain, but I know camber is around -3.2 front and -3.5 rear. I can check again with the camber gauge and let you know exactly, also rear is spaced 10-15mm. I basically have Parr's stage 2 track focused geo and to iron out understeer the ride height is dropped to 9cm with a 5 degree rake angle. 

17 minutes ago, jcm987 said:

@pstarkey I accidentally lost the suspension geo spec sheet which is a pain, but I know camber is around -3.2 front and -3.5 rear. I can check again with the camber gauge and let you know exactly, also rear is spaced 10-15mm. I basically have Parr's stage 2 track focused geo and to iron out understeer the ride height is dropped to 9cm with a 5 degree rake angle. 

Many thanks helpful.

• 3 months later...

Back into the garage she goes for some work, after doing 2,000 miles and 5 track days in a couple of months, she's faster than ever, but needs a rest. Also I forgot I started this thread. 

Prior to track season we replaced the rear engine mount, added side sills, fresh oil, enlarged brake cooling ducts and added the H&R rear anti-roll bar again. Oh and new R888R tyres, 245 front and 275 rear.

Finally tried new suspension settings, softer and lower at the front, and stiffer at the rear. This took some adjusting to, but much better. Craner curbs at Donington is now comfortably 100+mph :) 

The winter job list:

RSS engine mounts

Gearbox mounts

More oil

De-gunk and clean radiators

Cylinder compression check

Front splitter build (will take some time)

Paint the rear deck properly with the correct paint and wrap

Make the handbrake work

New PFC brake pads (£££££££££)

Future jobs: Limited Slip Diff. Wavetrac or Quafe? I hear pros and cons of both. 

combe.jpg

• Like 1