987 S Track Car Build Thread

Sounds like a good (and expensive) plan.

I keep getting close to pulling the trigger on a Wavtrac diff, but then end up spending the money on suspension bits or tyres or a track day or two.

Hopefully I'll get around to it over the winter.

Car looks fantastic BTW.

1 hour ago, jcm987 said:

Back into the garage she goes for some work, after doing 2,000 miles and 5 track days in a couple of months, she's faster than ever, but needs a rest. Also I forgot I started this thread. 

Prior to track season we replaced the rear engine mount, added side sills, fresh oil, enlarged brake cooling ducts and added the H&R rear anti-roll bar again. Oh and new R888R tyres, 245 front and 275 rear.

Finally tried new suspension settings, softer and lower at the front, and stiffer at the rear. This took some adjusting to, but much better. Craner curbs at Donington is now comfortably 100+mph :) 

The winter job list:

RSS engine mounts

Gearbox mounts

More oil

De-gunk and clean radiators

Cylinder compression check

Front splitter build (will take some time)

Paint the rear deck properly with the correct paint and wrap

Make the handbrake work

New PFC brake pads (£££££££££)

Future jobs: Limited Slip Diff. Wavetrac or Quafe? I hear pros and cons of both. 

combe.jpg

Winter 'to do' list doesn't sound too wallet-busting / drastic. So you've obviously had no reason to think theres any major work needing doing. Good going after some effectively hard miles i'm guessing ?  Good luck with all that.

You on 19" wheels ? Standard width too ?:

How has the new tyre width worked out ?

@Dougle_turbo Cheers that was Castle Combe, the photographers there are really good. MSV need to take note and stop taking 20 pics of the same corner on a sighting lap.

Let me know how the LSD goes if you get started before me. We were planning on doing it when the clutch needed changing seeing as it will take some time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Splitter finally done. I planned this a year ago, but finally got round to it today.

Still a few bits to modify, but I'm happy with how it turned out. And yes, it will take the weight of a human standing on it, so it should be functional and help balance the massive cup car wing. 

Side note: We discovered the car was crashed head on by the previous owner :( Slightly cracked front impact bar, dented chassis and a bumper with date codes 3 years after the car was manufactured. The good news is the air con radiators, coolant pipes were changed only 3.5 years ago, so maybe it was a good thing? 

g52532.jpg

• Like 1

Really cool build this. Had spotted it a few months ago on Instagram. 

Looking to pick up a 987.1 S very soon to replace my M235i as my track car, so will be headed down a similar path to you. 

@jcm987 Don't get me wrong, very capable car just not a very fun & engaging drive. Could probably set faster laps than a Cayman but just fancy going back to a manual and try the mid engine, N/A layout. The M2 would be the one to have if you were to go for the BMW route.

• 1 month later...

Back from a soaking wet, yet amazing day at Brands Hatch. Thanks to Michelin Pilot sport 4 tyres the snappy Cayman is tames, I now can't wait for wet track days. Also Driver 61, Scott Mansell driver tutorial on driving the wet line was so useful (and free).

The tyres are incredible, comfortably the fastest car all day even lapping race cars to the point 3 people asked for passenger laps. I'm probably late to the party with the pilot sport 4 tyres, but Im just amazed at how good they are. 

The original purpose was to test the new front splitter we made, but torrential rain made that difficult. Although the car now makes a nice rooster tail at high speed, so clearly it works. Also when the track dried out and I put the semi slicks on, all understeer is gone and I accidentally set one of my fastest times. It may be home made earo, but now the cup car wing is balanced.

Next to make a diffuser from scratch... how hard can it be? 

48918646148_930edcb590_o.jpg

48919019156_12bdeda2af_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Salty Gritty winter roads: Found myself behind the bloody salt gritter on the way to Brands Hatch and after the track day noticed the car had collected around 3kg of salt/dirt. It was so thick I had to scrape it out of the brake cooling ducts, radiators, suspension and even the air vents, not ideal for a track car. Even the exhaust tips turned powder white. 

Has anyone else come across this in winter? 

dirty cayman.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_931.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The winter build has started. Took the plunge and ordered a Quaife LSD, new clutch, track rod ends, oil seals and brake pads. £££££££££.

Just started preparing to take the transmission out ready for the diff and new clutch, not something I'm looking forward to. 

In the process found a broken rear control arm, didn't see that coming. 

Suspension turned out to be an easy fix, just a new adjustment cog and pliers. Still not sure how it broke, but found it stuck on maximum bump stiffness, so should have completely unsettled the car. 

This is going to be a long process so no track days for quite some time :(

If anyone has advice on the best way to take the trans out give me a shout. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Loving this thread, lots of good information. Thanks for posting.

Just a quick question about your baffled sump. Did you fit baffles that bolt to the existing sump, something like this:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/997107243EBSRK.htm?pn=997-107-243-EBSR-K

Or was it a completely new sump/baffle arrangement?

Hi @peteslag Thanks. 

No I have a deeper baffled sump similar to this one that replaces the existing one. 

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt856_859_2371_-cma81-cmo121/Porsche/Cayman-987C---981C/Oil-Sump/

The actual one I bought is from FVD Brombacher, but can't find it one their website anymore. 

That was the other one I was eyeing up actually, thanks for getting back to me.

My car is almost completely standard so I think that will be sufficient for my needs. My first few track days were on old cracked bridgestones so not much chance of high cornering g. My next few will be on brand new PS4's so it will be good to have peace of mind.

I'm at the Silverstone Porsche club track day in August, can't wait!

On 14/01/2020 at 20:44, jcm987 said:

In case you wondered what a Cayman looks like without a gearbox. 

Quaife diff arrives next week and then the daunting task of putting it all back together begins. 

Reading other build threads I've noticed all the US Caymans seem to be spotless and clean underneath! Maybe it's the weather, but seeing as this car is kept in a garage, the dirt, salt and grime collected is unreal. Probably spent hours simply cleaning, probably 2kg lighter now. 

engine.jpg

trans.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_978.jpg

Have you got any photos from the LSD fitting process? Fancy doing mine??????