987 S Track Car Build Thread

3 hours ago, peteslag said:

That was the other one I was eyeing up actually, thanks for getting back to me.

My car is almost completely standard so I think that will be sufficient for my needs. My first few track days were on old cracked bridgestones so not much chance of high cornering g. My next few will be on brand new PS4's so it will be good to have peace of mind.

I'm at the Silverstone Porsche club track day in August, can't wait!

It was one of the first mods I made, in fact before I even went on track I think. The PS4's are amazing tyres, you will probably notice a big difference. 

I don't think I have pictures of the fitting process, just these ones of the diff comparison. I'll check my work computer if there are any more. Have you ordered one? I can't wait to try it on the track. My old man was the master mechanic doing most of the work on this. I was basically the tea boy!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_980.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_97f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_981.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_982.jpg

1 hour ago, jcm987 said:

It was one of the first mods I made, in fact before I even went on track I think. The PS4's are amazing tyres, you will probably notice a big difference. 

Yes, a good friend of mine put me onto PS4's, not had a chance to see how good they are yet.

This is me at silverstone, completely standard everything! I've put better pads in, better tyres and will have the baffled deep sump. I'm really looking forward to investigating the differences.

1 hour ago, jcm987 said:

I don't think I have pictures of the fitting process, just these ones of the diff comparison. I'll check my work computer if there are any more. Have you ordered one? I can't wait to try it on the track. My old man was the master mechanic doing most of the work on this. I was basically the tea boy!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_980.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_97f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_981.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_982.jpg

Love it! Not ordered one yet......

Did the back lash etc need measuring or was it a case of swappinging the ring gear and bearings over and making sure they are fully home?

Everytime I watch this video, it seems like a fairly straight forward process.....

• 1 month later...
On 13/06/2020 at 17:46, jcm987 said:

Update time:

2 track days down since the winter work was completed and the car feels better and faster than ever. In fact, I think it's now done, complete, finished, no more performance related modifications.... 

Sitting in torrential rain in a traffic jam on the way home convinced me not to go full race/track car. I need music, air conditioning and some comfort on the long journeys. So now the goal is reliability and maintenance, how boring! So here's a picture of me yesterday lifting a front wheel at Castle Combe. 

26AEF567-694B-4DF5-9DDD-49FB89202DD5_1_105_c.jpeg

It looks like you are flying around that track..............literally! 

Great photo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well depends if the strut brace has made enough difference, I'd expect the camber makes a more noticeable difference than the brace.  

If you drill slots in the strut brace, will it still be as effective?

What camber were you running before? I may have a solution that will allow you to keep the strut brace but you'll be limited to 1.5-1.75 depending on how low you are

ETA: scratch that, I see you already have the gt3 LCAs

Edited by Lennym1984

3 hours ago, Hunty said:

Well depends if the strut brace has made enough difference, I'd expect the camber makes a more noticeable difference than the brace.  

If you drill slots in the strut brace, will it still be as effective?

I can't tell any difference with the strut brace. Yes it should still be effective as it the goal is to just alter the holes to allow the top mounts to move a few mm inwards. 

11 hours ago, jcm987 said:

I can't tell any difference with the strut brace. Yes it should still be effective as it the goal is to just alter the holes to allow the top mounts to move a few mm inwards. 

If you have adjustable LCAs, why don't you just add more shims? 

46 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

If you have adjustable LCAs, why don't you just add more shims? 

Because they're already maxed out with shims. 

Yes you can, but you will also need to move the top mounts inwards, which is now restricted by the strut brace, I had up to -3 before. 

• 2 weeks later...

What was the front tyre wear like with that camber? I had mine on track on Friday (running similalr front camber to you) and I was pleasantly surprised (stil got shoulder wear but much improved over stock).

2 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

What was the front tyre wear like with that camber? I had mine on track on Friday (running similalr front camber to you) and I was pleasantly surprised (stil got shoulder wear but much improved over stock).

It was pretty good, I didn't notice any considerable wear considering how hot it was.