987 S Track Car Build Thread

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of people asked what I do for brake cooling, so here are some pictures. 

The rear cooling ducts are damaged after catching a speed bump courtesy of a Shell petrol station. Seriously, why put speed bumps inside a petrol station, how much speed can you build up from pump to exit?? 

Oh and the magic bin lid thing, (Mathey Racing inspired vortex generator) isn't finished yet, needs moving forward. Does it work, no idea...maybe. 

84222C5D-57B0-49F8-ADA0-AF95B0548418_1_105_c.jpeg

7093003E-6B3D-482D-9F04-F9788EF4705E_1_105_c.jpeg

E13BEE62-1501-41DE-9504-0657B2A0B508_1_105_c.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Poorly Cayman! :(  

Luckily just an O2 sensor snapped off, engine is fine! Managed just 12 laps of Thruxton before limping home with the sensor held in place with magic wire. Not a good day, but could have been much worse.

Anyone know how to change their O2 sensors? Any advice would be great, I hear the connectors are tricky to reach. I have a track day booked for Tuesday and only have 2 days free to fit it, so without sounding dramatic - this is a race against time. 

B573641E-A60A-4DA6-A428-3B0FECE068F1_1_105_c.jpeg

Having done this in the past, my advice would be to take it to an exhaust place (that is what I ended up doing). The sensors weld themselves to the exhaust and in many cases need to be drilled out. I paid £100 for a local place to do it for me after eventually having to admit defeat. That said, others have been lucky so, "you feelin' lucky?"

@Lennym1984 You're right, my previous cracked manifold cats did seem to weld to the old 02 sensors. I couldn't afford new ones so bought used manifolds with lower mileage and it looks like the thread for the O2 sensor might  be OK. I have Brands Hatch booked on Tuesday so don't have time to go to an exhaust place, maybe an engineering bodge job is required fitting the new O2 sensor. Yeah I'm feeling quite lucky! What could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, jcm987 said:

@Lennym1984 You're right, my previous cracked manifold cats did seem to weld to the old 02 sensors. I couldn't afford new ones so bought used manifolds with lower mileage and it looks like the thread for the O2 sensor might  be OK. I have Brands Hatch booked on Tuesday so don't have time to go to an exhaust place, maybe an engineering bodge job is required fitting the new O2 sensor. Yeah I'm feeling quite lucky! What could possibly go wrong?

Do you have an o2 sensor socket? If not and if you're near Oxford, you can borrow mine

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm done for the year, might as well end it on a high. Racked up another thousand track miles this year and somehow he/she keeps going strong. In what can only be described as one of the worst years on record, this cayman project has been a ray of sunshine. Anyone else refer to their car as a he/she? Sometimes I just refer to it as 'the cayman', often it's 'the old girl' and occasionally it's 'He's an expensive bastard!' 

Lap times have dropped at all circuits without working the car harder. Sub 55 second Brands Hatch time is now achievable without revving past 6K. The engine rebuild is inevitable given how I use the car and I won't complain (much) when it finally goes. Hopefully this thread is enough to disprove the internet hype that any 987.1 engine will go wrong. 

CH-200929-BH-Cars-0768.jpeg

CH-200929-BH-Cars-3063.jpeg

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update: The master mechanic surpassed himself fitting the accusump in time for Snetterton. This was a very time consuming job, involving lots of wiring, trim removal, plumbing, charging and testing.

I had two jobs to do: Fit the new oil filter and the sump power switch. I somehow managed to cock that up and mount the switch upside down, so flicking the switch actually turns it off :(

The whole point of the sump is to maintain oil pressure in high g corners and avoid oil starvation and at Snetterton it seemed to do just that. We deemed this a necessary modification as the engine is 'ageing gracefully' and we have slicks on order. 

Next week Oulton Park which will mean 1200 miles in 3 weeks....

BC102C52-88E4-455F-812A-D0575FE27DA1_1_105_c.jpeg

DA6D327D-EFC3-4C8C-AF87-E9DB3BD12CEA_1_105_c.jpeg

• 11 months later...
On 17/01/2019 at 22:12, jcm987 said:

Test fit complete, now time for paint and wrapping. 

To save weight and because they're no longer needed, the rear wiper and rear wing motor have been removed along with all the rear deck trim. All together they weigh around 25kg, so some pretty big savings. 

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

Probably the most boring part of your amazing build project to ask about - sorry - but what did you use to blank the hole when removing your wiper? Keen to take mine off but unsure what size blanking plug/grommet would be suitable. Did you buy something specific for the job or was it a B&Q type thing? Be super helpful if you have a link and apologies again for such a dull q!

Superb thread. I often wondered with the Mid engine if a Cayman could keep up with the big 911's on corners, this is sterling work.

I'm about 30 mins from brands - if anyone wants pics of their track days I can always pop down for the cost of a tea/beer with a bit of notice. Helps me too as practice always good - some example below which are good but not superb.

IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5980_Mark.JPG

IMG_6641.JPG

Lordes_TC.JPG

On 07/06/2022 at 07:35, Niall said:

Probably the most boring part of your amazing build project to ask about - sorry - but what did you use to blank the hole when removing your wiper? Keen to take mine off but unsure what size blanking plug/grommet would be suitable. Did you buy something specific for the job or was it a B&Q type thing? Be super helpful if you have a link and apologies again for such a dull q!

@Niall No worries mate, not a boring question because it took ages! Definitely in the B&Q category. 

We used basic filler for the most part, thin wire mesh first, then building up a few layers and sanding back. Then first paint was the wrong silver, GT not artic silver. Then wrapped over the top of it. It's pretty strong and waterproof, but not exactly a 5 min job. 

9 hours ago, futureechos said:

Superb thread. I often wondered with the Mid engine if a Cayman could keep up with the big 911's on corners, this is sterling work.

I'm about 30 mins from brands - if anyone wants pics of their track days I can always pop down for the cost of a tea/beer with a bit of notice. Helps me too as practice always good - some example below which are good but not superb.

IMG_5814.JPG

IMG_5980_Mark.JPG

IMG_6641.JPG

Lordes_TC.JPG

Thanks @futureechos to be honest I forgot about this thread until day. Plans have changed sine I bought a Honda Integra race car, so haven't touched the Cayman in ages. 

From what I've experienced over the years, a well setup 987 S (brakes, suspension and geo) will be quicker than 99% of 911 on a normal track day. But, go to a circuit like Silverstone or Thruxton and a 991 RS or new 992 will fly past you on the straights like you're standing still. :( 

Great pictures by the way, I'll give you a message next time I'm at brands. 

• Like 1