987 S Track Car Build Thread

Hi Mavrik, last outing early February was 56.8 sec, but that was a very cold winter day (5C) and had to raise the ride height because of wheel arch rubbing (wrong size rear spacers, my fault). 

23 hours ago, jcm987 said:

Hi Mavrik, last outing early February was 56.8 sec, but that was a very cold winter day (5C) and had to raise the ride height because of wheel arch rubbing (wrong size rear spacers, my fault). 

56.8 :8:

I also tracked my S at Brands Indy in Feb... Was raining all day!! Only managed a 1:02 :4fvgdaq_th:I need bigger nads!! lol

I'm back there on the 24th April... Hoping its dry!

• 1 month later...

I've got one in the box waiting for me to find the time to install, can't wait!

I think at 11 years old, the bushings and other bits in the shifter could do with a refresh, and this is what I got the SSK for, the 15% reduction in throw is a bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

Positive  build update: I uploaded a video to instagram @jcm987 of a lap comparison of stock v KW Clubsports suspension and after only 1 session it was already 4 seconds a lap faster. But I got the bump and rebound settings all wrong and the car was bouncing all over the place and not suited to bumpy Castle Combe.  I have some homework to do and read the KW manual more. If anyone on the forum has experience with suspension settings on their Cayman please let me know.

Bad  build update - the car had a small incident at Castle Combe last week. I share track day driving with my Dad and unfortunately it was got wet and he hit a tyre wall out of the chicane. So car has some damage and requires the front left corner having some work, new splitter, canards, maybe left fender, inside wheel arch liner - re-allignment. All adding up to quite a big repair bill, so roll cage is going on hold for now. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi @Dougle_turbo Yeah I remember, that looked nasty, glad you're ok. I've seen 2 more people role at paddock since then, so you're in good company. That was a dangerous track day, I  span on the ice and took the front splitter off. 

Like you I was a Renault Sport person before the Cayman, but glad I made the step up to a cayman.   

Big price jump from an S to an R. I think all the R owners here will tell you it is worth it, but for a track car I would go for an S and spend the rest on upgrades.

• 3 weeks later...

GOAL COMPLETE: It is now much faster than a 997 GT3

Our first time at Donington park for a track day finally gave us the opportunity to face a 997 GT3 driven by a really good driver and it didn't disappoint. The original goal was to turn a stock 987 into a GT3/GT3RS beating machine for less than half the price, that goal is now complete. GT3 is still the dream car, but the little Cayman is proving to be so great I don't think I'll ever part with it.  

Build update: The Heigo half cage is in! It was not a quick job. Partly my fault for being thick trying to use the existing harness eye bolts and also my fault for believing people on other forums. 

Small Issue: Cracked another set of brake discs. Apart from Giro does anyone know some good grooved disks for track only use?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_720.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_71a.jpg

• Like 1

No we overtook it a few times on track. I'm told I did a 1:24. It was our first time at Donington so still learning it.

Yes the plan is to keep it road legal and drive it to the track.

That's awesome! 

What would you say was your best modification you have made.

Does the cage intrude on the seating position at all? I want one for mine but at 6ft4 I need the seat all the way back

@PMGPete Best modification - probably the suspension. It is the biggest performance gain/handling improvement.

The cage doesn't intrude on seating position at all with my GT3 seats. The passenger seat is as far back as possible and doesn't hit it, but the GT3 seats are so thin that might be why.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just read through your thread, good work ? 

PFC front discs look good, I ran them on my race car until the GT3 Cup car set up went on. They certainly improved the durability. 

Where did you source the rear cage from?