987 S Track Car Build Thread

@Sam@IoM Thanks. 

Thats good to know, were they good at dealing with extreme heat on your car? I use the PFC 08 compound pads.

The cage is by Heigo sourced from FVD Brombacher in Germany. www.fvd.net 

On 21/10/2018 at 13:00, jcm987 said:

BRAKING NEWS!.....Sorry couldn't resist.

Finally got round to upgrading all the discs and brake lines. After cracking the standard discs again we realised that we need proper performance grooved discs.  Because the PFC brake pads are so amazing and PFC also make brakes for the Cayman GT4 MR and GT3 Cup car, we figured the PFC front discs will be worth it. The rears are Sebro and seem to be pretty good value and popular with other Cayman owners.

The brake lines were eroded and seized together and took more than a week to properly replace with Goodrich braided lines. It looked like 10+ years of dirt and grime had taken its toll. This was also the reason for missing the breakfast meet yesterday. 

Now we need to get the car on track to see how much stopping power we really have.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_73e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_737.jpg

Nice work! I tackled this one last weekend, thankfully it was all pretty straightforward. I went for Sebro high carbon discs up front, with standard discs at the rear. Pad wise I went with DS1.11s all round. I also changed the lines over to Goodridge items. Looking forward to testing the new setup at Silverstone on the 5th Nov.

• Like 1

@Dougle_turboSounds good, let me know how you find the new Sebro discs on track. 

I just tested the new brake upgrades at Castle Combe yesterday and we clearly didn't bed them in enough. Maybe it was the PFC discs not the Sebro, but it took a while for them to come alive. Also new discs on old pads wasn't ideal.

• 1 month later...

Evening ladies and gents, I was going to wait until it was installed and painted etc... But here is my Christmas, New Years, Birthday and any other celebration day present (to myself). Winging its way over from the US. This is the race wing from a GT3 Cup Car, adjustable uprights and inter series ducktail base. Basically the wing that started my Cayman obsession. 

I will upload pictures when finished, but this will be paired with a new front splitter (currently in the workshop) for some real aero. 

Any suggestions on the Martini stripes, do they keep going over the wing or just the ducktail?

IMG_0032.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Test fit complete, now time for paint and wrapping. 

To save weight and because they're no longer needed, the rear wiper and rear wing motor have been removed along with all the rear deck trim. All together they weigh around 25kg, so some pretty big savings. 

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

@Dougle_turbo Probably going to be early March at either Castle Combe or Brands Hatch. Too much travelling for work means limited time to play. Still need to fit new brake pads, oil change, splitter, fire extinguisher and get a fresh track geometry/alignment from Parr. 

Thats a shame, i didn't realise yours was so loud! It's a great track for pushing the limits of grip.

How many DB is your car?

Came across this on youtube the other day. Not a sure about the presenter, but the car sounds incredible.

13 minutes ago, Dougle_turbo said:

I'm also interested in the 245 front tyres he's put on. Any thoughts on that? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had 245 Mich Pilot SS on the front of my Cayman S.1 (265 rears) but I found they gave too much lift off oversteer... I went back to 235 front (swapped to Yoko AD08R all round) giving much more balanced stagger imo...

Edited by Mavrik

10 minutes ago, Mavrik said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had 245 Mich Pilot SS on the front of my Cayman S.1 (265 rears) but I found they gave too much lift off oversteer... I went back to 235 front (swapped to Yoko AD08R all round) giving much more balanced stagger imo...

Interesting...so they did give you a lot more front end grip. have you still got the 245s?

@Dougle_turbo It's all to do with engine placement imo... Like I said I found the 245 fronts created too much lift off oversteer for the mid engined set up... Conversely I have 245/265 on my 350z GT 313HR but as it's a FR set up i.e front engine/rear drive it's more balanced with that stagger.

In this clip its clear (to me, anyway) that the 245 fronts created too much lift off oversteer... I've not had the same issue with the 235 fronts!

@Dougle_turbo At Brands hatch with no baffles it was over 104db, with baffles and shifting at 6.5K its 98db. Will do Bedford one day as it isn't too far. 

I think I met that guy at the Cayman meet at Caffeine and Machine, going to give the video a watch I remember his car sounded good. 

Tyres - I fitted 245 Toyo R888 on mine and because the car is quite low it was rubbing the wheel arches at the bottom of Paddock hill bend at Brands Hatch. Even with > 2.7 degrees of negative camber it was a bit of an issue rubbing. I loved the sharp turn in and front end grip and never experienced lift off oversteer. Maybe that was because I don't turn in to a fast bend lifting off as it unsettles the balance of the car. 

I went down to 235 Too R888R and they feel better. So going to a slightly narrower front tyre was probably the best for my setup with 275 rears. 

On 19/01/2019 at 14:26, jcm987 said:

"Maybe that was because I don't turn in to a fast bend lifting off as it unsettles the balance of the car"

------------------------------------------------

Interesting... Do you left foot brake then? :35_thinking:

Edited by Mavrik

On 19/01/2019 at 07:40, Dougle_turbo said:

Thats a shame, i didn't realise yours was so loud! It's a great track for pushing the limits of grip.

How many DB is your car?

Came across this on youtube the other day. Not a sure about the presenter, but the car sounds incredible.

Is name is Dan, I have same setup on my Cs and you just can't believe how great these cars sound tho. But indeed there is a risk of being black flagged at the track tho....