My first Porsche... Cayman 2.7 PDK

DJMC

On 11/03/2016 at 11:24, DJMC said:

Here's a few "coasting" facts... if you take your foot off the gas the gearbox disconnects so you coast, apply the brakes and it re-connects to give engine braking.

Take your foot off the gas quickly and the gearbox doesn't disconnect so as to aid emergency braking. Apparently doing this also lightly applies the brake pads to the discs in  preparation for emergency braking.

Clever, these Porsche designers.

Going down steep inclines coasting is prevented - but fuel is shut off.  Not sure if PSE overrides that (don't have PSE) - but if not you won't get the farting that many seem to like.  Coasting is disabled in manual and (I think) Sport mode (don't ever use sport personally).  You can  stop coasting by selecting a gear with the paddles.

Edited by bcr5784

2 minutes ago, bcr5784 said:

Going down steep inclines coasting is prevented - but fuel is shut off.  Not sure if PSE overrides that (don't have PSE) - but if not you won't get the farting that many seem to like.  Coasting is disabled in manual and (I think) Sport mode (don't ever use sport personally).

Yes, Sport disables coasting.

I use Sport occasionally but actually prefer the low down smoothness and "graunchy" whirrings in normal PDK mode, especially in traffic.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update to say I've now done over 10k miles in the last 8 months and apart from the cracked Pirellis (changed), and stone chipped rims (goodwill gesture from Porsche GB), I've had no other issues. Just back from a 1000 mile round trip to Scotland during which it averaged just over 40mpg on a mix of motorway, fast A and windey B roads. 5 1/2 hours today, with a brief stop off, and it makes for a relaxed comfortable cruiser too (PASM, 14 way seats).

Has also used no oil, not one drop, during those 10k miles.

Love it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DJMC said:

......and apart from the cracked Pirellis (changed), and stone chipped rims (goodwill gesture from Porsche GB), I've had no other issues........

I won't mention the brake caliper bolts then. Oops, sorry, looks like I just did :$. What was the final outcome of that anyway?

Seriously though, it sounds like your car has done you proud.

11 minutes ago, twopointnine said:

I won't mention the brake caliper bolts then. Oops, sorry, looks like I just did :$. What was the final outcome of that anyway?

Seriously though, it sounds like your car has done you proud.

Ah yes. Bought some rust converter from Halfords. Painted this on all four bolt heads, then painted them black. Didn't bother to take the wheels off. About an hour to rectify.

Porsche GB wanted £250 per calliper (50% contribution) to replace the front calipers. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of stone chip touching up today, using paint from https://www.paints4u.com

Getting quite good at this. My short-sightedness helps a lot! I'm using the little plastic pointed sticks they supply. Just have to make sure it's just the very tip that goes into the paint or too much can get applied.

They supply a solvent to clean the chips in their Master Kit, so if it goes wrong you can wipe off and start again. Not yet tried the "proper" way of painting proud and then rubbing back with the 2000 grade paper supplied. 

Lots of small chips behind rear wheels on bottom of arches. Plastic panel so no worry of rusting. I guess I'll just keep dabbing the paint on as time goes by as it's not the most viewable area on the car.

• 1 month later...

I build the paint up with a few applications until it sits proud of the chip, allow a few days for it to dry. once dry I very carefully shave the top of the painted chip before using the wet and dry followed bu a polish and wax.

• 1 month later...