DAB radio in a CR

ian964

My CR has PCM, but I would like to add DAB. Does anyone know if it's possible to retrofit this to PCM 3.0, or can anyone recommend an after-market system? Ideally I'd like to be able to see and control it via the PCM screen.

The other option is to get a Bluetooth adaptor (Viseeo Tune2Air), I have mine plugged in to the iPod socket and stream radio from my iPhone...I assume you have the audio interface built in to your armrest cubby hole?

It also means you can stream Spotify or whatever else takes your fancy. 

• Like 1

I do have the iPod / USB / Aux connectors in the cubby, also Bluetooth phone connectivity - I'll have a play around with these. I also saw this - http://www.dension.com/products/dab-solutions/dabu - I wonder if it would work via the USB port? However the Dension compatibility list only mentions PCM 1 to 2.1, so not sure.

27 minutes ago, Red Square Images said:

Where did you buy this? Can't seem to find them for sale in the U.K.? 

They stopped making the WMA1000 and replaced it with the WMA2000 which is USB, which is fine.  

Amazon UK sell the new model.  

4 hours ago, PhilCS said:

They stopped making the WMA1000 and replaced it with the WMA2000 which is USB, which is fine.  

Amazon UK sell the new model.  

Does the new model display the names of the songs on the PCM? 

42 minutes ago, Red Square Images said:

Does the new model display the names of the songs on the PCM? 

I couldn't say for sure as I use the old version, but i'd be surprised if it didn't.  Mine is great, displays the names of songs from Spotify, radio station names and info from Tune-in radio.  My USB I have a portable hard drive plugged in and that displays the song, album and artist names.  

Why do you want DAB?

I have it in my 981. Loses reception often. Loses reception in tunnels. Can't see the appeal over FM? 

Why bother?

• Like 1

And here be the reason why I also run a radio app from my iPhone to my car stereo.  

DAB is rubbish IMO although it does offer more choice of stations these days than FM but signal is not great.  

But TuneIn offers any radio station you please. 

• Founder

I've got the Viseeo dongle in my cars, works great with the PCM3, also works with the Pioneer radio in my Boxster, very handy indeed.  

Kevin - there's a couple (WMA1000) on eBay at the moment.

On 12 January 2016 at 21:22, Krobar said:

Expensive but a proper MOST based solution is available from a company called Mobridge.

Hmm, I want DAB, but not that much!

On 13 January 2016 at 00:37, jmcc42uk said:

Looks interesting

On 13 January 2016 at 18:35, DJMC said:

Why do you want DAB?

I have it in my 981. Loses reception often. Loses reception in tunnels. Can't see the appeal over FM?

Why bother?

There are quite a few digital-only stations I listen to (e.g. 6 Music)

11 hours ago, Uncle Dave said:

And here be the reason why I also run a radio app from my iPhone to my car stereo.

DAB is rubbish IMO although it does offer more choice of stations these days than FM but signal is not great.

But TuneIn offers any radio station you please.

I'll give this a go, with any luck it'll work via the PCM Bluetooth.

My radio reception is so bad I don't even use the radio. Just Bluetooth music. I have a feeling one of the two A-pilar amps is duff. But at a couple hundred quid  each on a hunch I'm not going to start fixing them for something I don't really miss. 

1 hour ago, Mathmos said:

Evening all...I've just bought a Cayman S 2013 plate this week and I've been doing quite a bit of research into DAB solutions.  Since the car doesn't have LW and I want to listen to the cricket then 5 live sports extra through DAB is the only way to go.

The problem with just about every solution I looked at is that it requires some plumbing in to the car.  There are some really neat solutions that can be connected to the FM aerial with a physical connection that skips a MOST connection.  But the big problem is that I don;t want to mess with my warranty at the moment.  If this doesn't worry you or your car is no longer covered then The dension or Autodab solutions look good, Pure also have a solution with a nice looking controller.

I looked at the dension Dab+u (the USB connected DAB) but I was put off when I looked at the instructions and read that it can take between 15-40 seconds to buffer before playing a station, I think this happens every time you change a station..... 

I've just ordered an AutoDab Connect - http://www.autodab.com/Product/CONNECT.aspx

If you have a 981 with PCM it means you can plug directly into the 12v power in the glovebox and it works by re-transmitting on an FM band to the radio, so no plugging in or installation required.  May not be perfect but I am hopping this works!  Should be here next week and I'll report back on how I get on.

Great first post!  

Welcome and looking forward to hearing how you get on.  

• Founder
4 hours ago, Mathmos said:

Evening all...I've just bought a Cayman S 2013 plate this week and I've been doing quite a bit of research into DAB solutions.  Since the car doesn't have LW and I want to listen to the cricket then 5 live sports extra through DAB is the only way to go.

The problem with just about every solution I looked at is that it requires some plumbing in to the car.  There are some really neat solutions that can be connected to the FM aerial with a physical connection that skips a MOST connection.  But the big problem is that I don;t want to mess with my warranty at the moment.  If this doesn't worry you or your car is no longer covered then The dension or Autodab solutions look good, Pure also have a solution with a nice looking controller.

I looked at the dension Dab+u (the USB connected DAB) but I was put off when I looked at the instructions and read that it can take between 15-40 seconds to buffer before playing a station, I think this happens every time you change a station..... 

I've just ordered an AutoDab Connect - http://www.autodab.com/Product/CONNECT.aspx

If you have a 981 with PCM it means you can plug directly into the 12v power in the glovebox and it works by re-transmitting on an FM band to the radio, so no plugging in or installation required.  May not be perfect but I am hopping this works!  Should be here next week and I'll report back on how I get on.

Do you have an Aux input in the car?

10 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Do you have an Aux input in the car?

Not sure about other models but my 981 with PCM has a USB, Aux and 12v connector all in the glove box.  I did think about a solution using AUX but I've found that the sound quality tends to be poor compared  to an FM transmitter type...this is based on experience on my BMW.  That also didn't have DAB so I had an aftermarket BMW approved solution installed that used the FM transmitter solution and it worked really well...consistently good DAB reception and no problems with other FM stations breaking into the signal.

The other big issue with AUX is that you don't get a display of the DAB station you are listening to on the PCM screen.  With  an FM transmitter solution it will use the RDS to display the DAB station you are listening to.