iMAC and Apple Photos

markbarry1977

Hi guys i am having a problem uploading pictures from my IMac, I'm new to OS X, although i ca do it via the iPhone, i can't figure out how to do the following from my imac

I have a new iMac and use the OS X capitan Photos application for managing all my pictures (which i am rapidly falling out with), i want to know how to upload a picture to the website without having to use something like photo bucket.

When i click on the choose files.... it brings up finder, i navigate to pictures and then i can see my library package. The problem is i am running a non-referenced library (required by apple to allow iCloud syncing across all my apple devices) so there is no file structure to navigate too. I then tried opening the photos app instead and tried to drag and drop the pictures, this also failed, infact it crashed the safari web browser and i had to force quit. I can't seem to copy and paste out of the apple photos app as this is not an option..

Is there anybody on here using an iMac and Photos that can tell me how to upload pictures to the forum. Surely it can't be that hard to do. 

Sometimes i regret my move to apple...It was so much easier when you could just see the files you wanted. I realise iMac are supposed to be easier to use.....Give me DOS 6.2 and win 3.11, those were the days when the computer just did as it was told.......LOL just kidding....

Finally what a bloody pain the ass that is.... After some reading it appears you can't do it directly, the photo app on iMac won't let you cut and paste out of it. Also there is no file location for the file so to speak of its just scored within the photo library software package, in the end i came across a solution. 

For anybody else having the same problem here is how i have done it.

1. Open the Photos app on your iMac 

2. Navigate to the photo you wish to upload and select it

3. Select from the menu system     File>Export and then select a location. (I created a folder called temp export in the same sub folder as the photos application is stored) I just kept all the other settings as in file name, file type etc as per the default.

4. Return to safari and navigate to the forum/thread that you wish to upload the image

5. Click on choose file....

6. Navigate to the location you exported the file too in step 3 within the finder application that is launched.

7. Select it and hey presto, the image starts upload.

8. As a house keeping issue i then delete the file created when i exported the image out of the Photos app.

All i an say is what a bloody royal pain in the ASS. I realise this could be mitigated by opting to use a reference photo library but by doing this you lose the iCloud sync and sharing functions that are so benificial. sometimes i do wonder if progress has made us better. This would have been so easy on my window xp machine where i just stored everything in folders with recent names and then just used windows media to create the library 

Anyway for those going to the february caymanOC meet this is my wives "datsun"

IMG_1386.jpg

Edited by markbarry1977
  • Like 1

• Founder

My very quick advice (on the move) is not to use iPhoto.  I upload the photos straight to the computers hard drive into the file system from my iPhone using the Airdrop function.  

If im posting photos to a forum then I always use a remote photo hosting service like Photobucket, using their app from my iPhone then posting the link to that hosted photo into the forum thread. 

On 13 January 2016 at 17:01, markbarry1977 said:

Finally what a bloody pain the ass that is.... After some reading it appears you can't do it directly, the photo app on iMac won't let you cut and paste out of it. Also there is no file location for the file so to speak of its just scored within the photo library software package, in the end i came across a solution. 

For anybody else having the same problem here is how i have done it.

1. Open the Photos app on your iMac 

2. Navigate to the photo you wish to upload and select it

3. Select from the menu system     File>Export and then select a location. (I created a folder called temp export in the same sub folder as the photos application is stored) I just kept all the other settings as in file name, file type etc as per the default.

4. Return to safari and navigate to the forum/thread that you wish to upload the image

5. Click on choose file....

6. Navigate to the location you exported the file too in step 3 within the finder application that is launched.

7. Select it and hey presto, the image starts upload.

8. As a house keeping issue i then delete the file created when i exported the image out of the Photos app.

You're seriously doing it wrong. Its simple. 

Open photos. Select photo. 

(Shortcut option) hold down cmd, Shift and E (its the short cut to export) 

Select the format of picture you want to export it as (png, jpg etc) 

click export. 

select location where you want it saved. 

Done. 

upload to site. 

Double done. 

9 hours ago, Red Square Images said:

BTW Photos for mac sucks ROYALLY. I use lightroom. :)

I totally agree Kev, it does suck, but I do love the iCloud integration and sharing options. When I moved to Mac about 6 months ago and photos was in its infancy I mistakenly thought, well Apple has bodged it but it will get better as they developed it more. 

Whilst i I like the sound of Lightroom, to get all the cloud and cross device sharing you need to subscribe to a monthly package and I'm afraid I have no interest in  paying £10 a month for Adobe Lightroom CC. So ultimately I can't think of anything better at the moment. I am hoping with El Capitan and the introduction of extensions third party developers will improve it much quicker. 

Sadly not. Its core is locked down and a lot of the professional community moved away from Aperture (it's predecessor) when they created this crap. To be fair to Apple you're being your experience on a PCs before it. Photos is a container for photos that can be organised by events. It's file structure is designed to be internal as it provides a front end for sharing. In this case that front end doesn't accomplish what you need which is where you're having to go and export. Lightroom is less than 10 quid but comes with photoshop too. However if it's just storing images you need and sharing why not look at Flickr or google ?