Doug's Gen 2 987 Cayman S

Dougle_turbo

Just got the car back after having the rear coffins arms and control arms replaced. The Nurburgring took its toll on one of the coffin arms (started squeaking on the way home), so decided it was time to get them and the control arms done.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes at Anglesey on Monday. I decided it would be rude not to take a two day road trip through Wales beforehand, can't wait!

• 1 month later...

Hi Dougle,

Cool video. About to do my first track day, can you help with a couple of questions?

Which android app is best Harrys or RaceChrono?

What bracket do you mount the camera between the seats with?

Thanks

Rich

• 5 weeks later...

Nice update.

That's mental on the braided line. A rare failure indeed. Not that that's much help to you ! Thank goodness you got out of it ok. That could have been so-so much worse as you rightly say.......

Edited by sevenfourate

• 3 months later...

Nice update.

Brake failure on track is bloody scary! Good on you for not parking it in the barrier! Looks like corrosion on the hose, possibly due to the outer sleeve having a hole in? Will replace with like of like or try a different brand?

Any pictures of the camber? I am really tempted to fit adjustable LCAs to the R just need the courage ha! What tyres are you running?

The hose was less than 6 months old, so I'd be surprised if it were a corrosion problem. They replaced the lines so I decided to keep with the same brand. Fingers crossed.

I'll take some pictures of the camber for you at the weekend. I'd highly recommend going adjustable, it really has transformed the car, despite it being very good to start with!

• 4 months later...

Self employed do i take it ?? I've kept away from the news / social media the last couple of days as there's a lot of scaremongery and crap around. I'm well aware how obviously dangerous this is - and have been keeping myself to myself. I gather theres news of self-employed workers from Boris tomorrow ?

Anyway - sounds great on the car. Looking forward to seeing the bumper vent especially !!!  "A slight upside having a little time to indulge right now"........

Take care buddy 😎

• Like 1

Great update.  That's one very sorted car.  Have you went down the route of a quick shift at all yet?  Our cars seem to follow a similar direction and that was next on my list lol

Hi Pete,

Thanks, the car is really coming on now. Think I'm going to put on the H+R roll bar kit on for good measure while I'm waiting for the hoses.

Yes I have already fitted a quick shift unit. I think I did a little write up on it, not a difficult task but certainly time consuming. The most difficult bit was separating the actual gear knob from the existing unit! 

16 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Self employed do i take it ?? I've kept away from the news / social media the last couple of days as there's a lot of scaremongery and crap around. I'm well aware how obviously dangerous this is - and have been keeping myself to myself. I gather theres news of self-employed workers from Boris tomorrow ?

Anyway - sounds great on the car. Looking forward to seeing the bumper vent especially !!!  "A slight upside having a little time to indulge right now"........

Take care buddy 😎

Something like that - hopefully these measures are effective and we can crack on with some work.

• 3 weeks later...

Coming along super nicely Dougle!! 

Regarding the front radiator normally you need to cut a section of the under trays/cover to let the air escape as the radiator is facing down.  As you said there is an alternative inverted bracket to make sure the air points upwards. Otherwise the GT3 smile is pure aesthetic and no function. 

I've read somewhere you are running -3 degree of camber at the rear, I wouldn't go that far, you might find the rear end a bit too floaty on hard breaking. Instead a maximum of -2.5 rear and -2.8  front is ideal. Hope this helps. Obviously depends what caster angle you are going for (non adjustable VS adjustable LCA bushings) and toe overall toe of course.

Stunning motor man!

Thanks  @Andrea!

I have put some packers into the existing radiator bracket that should now channel the air out of the smile vent. It's a bit of a bodge, but I'm hoping it'll work (I'll take some photos.)

I have gone for -3 all round for the camber under the recommendation of Chris @ Center Gravity. The car is running adjustable LCAs and toe control arms all round, I'll see how it goes. Chris will dial it back for me if it's a little loose under braking.