Michelin N0 marked tyres.

DJMC

• Founder
15 minutes ago, DJMC said:

So do you really disbelieve that there is any joint development of tyre compounds, sidewalls or overall design as I'm being told directly when speaking with Goodyear or Michelin technical staff, or with Gordon Robertson at the PEC?

The technical staff go so deeply into the differences between manufacturer marked tyres and generic tyres that I find it impossible to believe they would go to such lengths to make up these differences. 

A chap like Jamie McWhir at Michelin has a long reputation in F1 and other racing tyre engineering that I doubt he'd be telling me porkies. He's been the tyre expert for quite a few other forums too. 

I shall keep an open mind but for now, having had the conversations I have had recently, I don't believe N marked tyres are simply generic tyres which Porsche have tested and stamped with an N. 

I don't disbelieve that, all I stick with is what in the real world works best for me. Simple. 

8 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

I don't disbelieve that, all I stick with is what in the real world works best for me. Simple. 

That's fair enough. If you've tried Pirelli, Bridgestone, Goodyear and Michelin PSS and your car's out of warranty you can make that call.

For me, I'm missing the PSS experience. Never had them. Dislike Pirelli & Bridgestone through bad experiences with both, but liked GY F1 A2 before.

So when my car is out of warranty at the next tyre change in 2-3 years I'll have another look at what Michelin have to offer and how the PS4s have been received.

Goodyears went on a few hours ago. 

I'm not saying I'll spoil it by fitting non N PSS for instance, but whilst my OPC tell me not to fit non N marked tyres, whilst I really rated the 19" GY F1 A2s on my TTS which I've just fitted in 20" to my 981, and whilst I wait to see how the N marked PS4s are received, I see no reason to go "off track" with non N tyres presently.

I'm sure the Goodyears will handle anything I can throw at them for now. Off out on a 80 mile round trip in a while. I'll see how they fair.

Porsche tested the PSS right at the start on the 997.

also:

In independent tests the Super Sport was 1.5 seconds a lap faster on a 2700m track than its predecessor, the Pilot Sport 2, while its stopping distance from 50mph to 6mph was reduced by 3m. Now that’s progress.

and

The new Pilot Super Sports represent a ‘step change’ in the capabilities of road-based performance tyres – equivalent to the alchemist’s trick of turning lead into gold. They’re a road tyre, but not as we have previously defined the breed.

Its been on every great super car for the last 4 years.

On 01/03/2016 at 15:09, DJMC said:
3 hours ago, DJMC said:

I'm not saying I'll spoil it by fitting non N PSS for instance, but whilst my OPC tell me not to fit non N marked tyres, whilst I really rated the 19" GY F1 A2s on my TTS which I've just fitted in 20" to my 981, and whilst I wait to see how the N marked PS4s are received, I see no reason to go "off track" with non N tyres presently.

I'm sure the Goodyears will handle anything I can throw at them for now. Off out on a 80 mile round trip in a while. I'll see how they fair.

Gordon Robertson, chief driving consultant at PEC Silverstone, just phoned me in response to a query I emailed yesterday.

He said that in a customer facing environment they can't have anything on the car that isn't Porsche approved. They would never mix tyres on different axles either, always the same all round. As for which is best, he said he couldn't choose between any of the N marked brands. There's very little difference as far as he's concerned.

Just thought I'd pass this on...

Interesting stuff - but I suspect predictable.  Robertson probably wouldn't like being quoted as saying Michelins are great and Pirellis iffy - even if it's true.  Likewise mixing on different axles - I'd be loathe to recommend it in his position.

I look forward to your findings on Goodyears.  80 miles may not be enough for them to show their true colours though - apart from the obvious scrubbing in period, the weather is a bit cold for them to show their best.

...yes, what with gales and rain it was difficult to feel for any differences. However on the way back in the dry (but windy) I did notice the Goodyears are somewhat quieter on the motorway than the Pirellis. I was getting some bump thump though, over small imperfections, which led me to think they'd been overinflated despite my being asked what pressure I wanted. Checked them this morning and sure enough three are over by 10%, with the other spot on.

Off out again tonight to try them in more bad weather by the looks of the forecast.

By the way, when the fitter was taking the cracked Pirellis off the front yesterday he ushered me over. As he bent the edge of the tyre with his machine to remove it, the cracks opened up alarmingly to quite a depth. From the photos I sent, the Pirelli engineer had said "there's no safety issue". I'm not quite so sure. Glad they're off.

Bump thump disappeared now pressures lowered. Out on dry roads today and Goodyears seem very capable.