What FIVE things do you love/hate most about your Cayman?

DJMC

Love:

1/ The LOOK of the car.

2/ The NOISE it makes.

3/ Handling.

4/ PASM.

5/ 14 way memory seats + electric steering column. 

Hate:

1/ Skipping tyres at hard lock.

2/ No auto wipers.

3/ Erm...?

4/ Um...?

5/ Hmmm...?

• Like 1

• Founder

Love:

1/ Bucket Seats

2/ The way it goes up the Stelvio pass

3/ Turn-in on corners

4/ When you feel the LSD work out of the corner

5/ Rarity (not on this forum mind)

Hate:

1/ What, No cupholders?

2/ Magnet for stonechips

3/ No PSE :( hurry up Gert ;) 

4/ PSM

5/ i'm out, give up. 

Why do you hate PSM? Having been shown how much it can save my skin at PEC in December I'm a fan!

Can't you just switch it off?

• Founder

Because it hinders progress, particularly in hairpin bends!  When you switch it off it's not actually completely off.  It makes things very iritating on track and driving up mountains.

At Silverstone I drove around the various tracks with it on, then tried to with it off. Toward the end of the day, on the reduced friction track, I was able to get out of a slide slightly quicker with it off as I'd learned to predict what was happening. With PSM on it would have "taken over" from me.

However, that's with me trying to slide and recover so I knew to anticipate the slide. In everyday motoring, I'm much happier to have PSM intervene and keep me safe. You?

• Founder
2 hours ago, DJMC said:

At Silverstone I drove around the various tracks with it on, then tried to with it off. Toward the end of the day, on the reduced friction track, I was able to get out of a slide slightly quicker with it off as I'd learned to predict what was happening. With PSM on it would have "taken over" from me.

However, that's with me trying to slide and recover so I knew to anticipate the slide. In everyday motoring, I'm much happier to have PSM intervene and keep me safe. You?

Yes, my Boxster doesn't any PSM or TC and I like the to be in absolute control and responsible for my actions, it's the only real way to get to know your car IMO.  Having a nanny watching over me annoys me.  

19 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

Yes, my Boxster doesn't any PSM or TC and I like the to be in absolute control and responsible for my actions, it's the only real way to get to know your car IMO.  Having a nanny watching over me annoys me.  

But... it might one day save you from spinning off on a damp road, like this chap from Boxa.net...

• Founder
46 minutes ago, DJMC said:

But... it might one day save you from spinning off on a damp road, like this chap from Boxa.net...

412147697.jpg

Another Cayman Cabriolet bites the dust! Poor chap. 

I agree with Moose (welcome by the way Jeremy), knowing your car inside out is better than relying on driving aids and not truly knowing the limits of the car.  It's also not going to save you in any given situation either.  

I'm not suggesting I'd never want or need it ever, but I'd certainly like the option to turn it completely off, because 90% of the time I'd probably leave it on, except for when I'm in an environment where I want to explore the limits of the car and learn it.  

• Like 1

Personally I don't mind a bit of a helping hand with my driving, wouldn't say I love nor hate traction control though.  

Love:

1/ The noise on full chat

2/ Positive gearshift

3/ Brakes

4/ Driving position

5/ Boot space (yeah i'm sad)

Hate:

1/ rear window wiper ruins the look

2/ Black paint!!

3/ Rattle from the boot lid

4/ Stereo sounds a bit rubbish 

5/ Struggling for 5 too! 

Finding out what trouble I could get into with PSM switched off at the PEC, and also trying to drive the car "on the edge" with it off, I'd need many hundreds of hours on a track with no spin off obstacles to hit in order to get to grips with the car's limits.

All I could do in 2 1/2 hours was to find its "safe" limits with PSM enabled. But the instructor was keen to show me it usually slows you down when it takes over whereas once you know the car you can drive smoothly with PSM off.

51 minutes ago, PhilCS said:

Hate:

1/ rear window wiper ruins the look

Phil, if you have a rear wiper, this article will make you feel a million dollars: https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/the-rear-wiper-a-vital-strand-of-porsche-dna/

I put a deposit down on a 981 with a rear wiper (it was in an accident on the way to my 111 point check so I didn't buy it) and I was kind of disappointed I'd lost this "real Porsche owner's" icon when the next one I found didn't have it.

Stand proud! I'm now in the latter, camp: "What would you prefer driving: an automobile displaying tangible and functional evidence of its robust heritage, or a mechanical fair-weather pretty boy?"

2 minutes ago, eponymoose said:

No, you really, really wouldn't need nearly that long.

When it's warmer, dryer, and I've changed out of my Pirellis I'll press on some with PSM off. B|

Now that I've done a few miles in my 2.9

Love:-

1. The power delivery, it needs work, but I love working the gearbox to exploit those lovely sounding revs.

2. The engine sound at higher revs, just needs a little more exhaust.

3. Steering feel, good to be back in a car with hydraulic steering and a light nose.

4. Handling, 

5. hugging sports seats.

Hate:-

1. Standard headlights are a bit pathetic and miles away from the LEDs on my other car.

2. No cruise control, don't realise how useful it is on motorways and those 50mph zones until you don't have it.

3. Wipers are very poor, will try changing them, any recommendations?

4. BOSE isn't that great, glad I didn't pay for it.

5.  The ride on 19s, far too firm for me.

Are you going to have cruise fitted?

My OE wipers are very good on the 981, but I've no idea what make they are. Maybe try some new Porsche ones if they aren't too dear (ha ha)?

I will look to get cruise fitted but not at OPC prices.  

Think the Porsches wiperd are about £35 from design911 probably twice that from Porsche themselves!

• 2 years later...

Good:

1.  Stability - no initial roll understeer - cornering power

2.  Brakes - good enough for track days without modification

3.  Engine

4.  Gear change - good, although not terrific

5.  Low(ish) weight

Not so good:

1.  Manoeuvring speed tyre thump - little or no Ackermann steering? 

2.  Limited legroom for tall drivers

3.  Poor headlights, (Halogen dipped)

4.  Limited tyre choice, (if under warranty)

5.  Skimpy standard equipment

1/ looks. 

2/ How it is to drive, noise, handling, all that.

3/ mid engined layout - feels special, like a racing car

4/ colour on mine. Totally marmite.  It’s cheeky, cheerful and makes people smile lol

5/ People take photographs of it (12 year olds). Provided they’re not going to steal it, won’t deny I like that :8_laughing:. Shameless I know.

1/ Poor thought by Porsche on protecting vulnerable painted steel areas from stone impacts, sill edges etc.

2/ have to constantly watch where I park it.

3/ Porsche bolts on the grubby bits seem to be very eager to corrode. Could just be lower ride attracting more salt and dirt etc.

4/ It looks faster than it actually is, leading to challenges by cars I know would embarrass me like M5s (I leave them to it lol)

5/ Oh yeah, stock ride height just wrong in my opinion of course lol.

Edited by Buggyjam

On 08/02/2016 at 19:45, aslan said:

Now that I've done a few miles in my 2.9

Love:-

1. The power delivery, it needs work, but I love working the gearbox to exploit those lovely sounding revs.

2. The engine sound at higher revs, just needs a little more exhaust.

3. Steering feel, good to be back in a car with hydraulic steering and a light nose.

4. Handling, 

5. hugging sports seats.

Hate:-

1. Standard headlights are a bit pathetic and miles away from the LEDs on my other car.

2. No cruise control, don't realise how useful it is on motorways and those 50mph zones until you don't have it.

3. Wipers are very poor, will try changing them, any recommendations?

4. BOSE isn't that great, glad I didn't pay for it.

5.  The ride on 19s, far too firm for me.

Just replacing the blades for new (Bosch) ones makes a world of difference. 

Should change blades annually really as the rubber is a perishable ‘consumable’. 

Best annual safety ‘service’ step you can take for £20. 

Re headlamps, many of us have gone for the night eye LEDs as an upgrade and the difference is remarkable. 

See Bushmans post in the 987 section. 

Love

1) her looks & curves (especially those rear quarter ‘hips’ when viewed in the wing mirrors)

2) the sound of that flat 6 howling above 5000RPM

3) the handling through twisties

4) the acceleration and pace

5) only having 2 seats and practical luggage space for a trackday wknd away (for 2)

?

’hate’

1) magnet for stone chips

2) magnet for dead flies

3) the constant ‘fear’ that I’ve bought a dud and something horrendously expensive is bound to go wrong any moment now.....

4) b3ll 3nds that feel a need to prove that their 10+ year old S3/ST/M3/too fast, too furious chav-mobile is faster than a Porsche.

5)......

?

Edited by Windymiller