What FIVE things do you love/hate most about your Cayman?

DJMC

Will keep this open:

Love

1) The noise

2) The looks

3) The power

4)

5)

Hate

1) PCM. No dab and no Bluetooth pass thru for music.

2) Lack of luggage space

3) Annoying rattles. Both of mine had them and both are in different places.

4) Not being able to drive to London and back on a single tank even when driven angelically.

5)

Edited by graham.reeds
Update

Love

1. The noise, especially with a tubi

2. The feel of the steering it is wonderful

3. It's a real headturner

4. It feels like a much more expensive car than it really is.

5. It's surprisingly practical 

Hate

1.  How sensitive the key is to opening bonnet and boot.

2. No dipstick! Don't trust digital 

3. I'm afraid of parking it anywhere

4. People almost take offence that you have modified a Porsche lol

Don't have any others I dislike.

It is most definitely my favourite car I have owned despite having owned 911's, loads of M cars (still currently own an M3 also) etc 

Wonderful little car that makes my weekend, every weekend

1. overall body shape/ styling.

2.engine, especially on cam above 5000 rpm

3. handling.

4. build quality

5 kerb appeal.

improvements I'd like to see:

1. wider arches and wider track.

2. improved steering with less bumpsteer/ twitchiness.

3, more power.

4. better in car entertainment

5. a better choice of cheaper body styling kits that fit properly. 

6. even more power!!

After 15 months and 10k miles in my sporty spec 718 CS PDK.

Good:

Much faster, and with a more accessible power delivery than my previous Cayman R Manual. 

Looks. Particularly the side profile.

Exemplary handling. More grip, wider track, -20mm PASM, quicker steering, better brakes, wide 8.5" & 10.5" 20" alloys.

Porsche Sport Exhaust. (it has a better exhaust note.)  

Just as playful on the track as my Cayman R.

Latest evolution of PDK and Sport Chrono is the best of both worlds. Shorter gearing too.

In-car technology at a new higher level.

Michelin PS4S N0  tyres.

Bad:

Electric handbrake.

Stop/start function. (I use Sport mode all the time which disables it)

Motorway cruising speed exhaust drone at certain speeds.(I live in the Scottish Highlands where no motorways exist, so not a major issue for me.)

Brian

I agree with the dislike of the electric parking brake.  Neater cockpit maybe and more suited to an auto than manual, but still not keen.  

Also agree about the stop/start.  I would prefer to be able to set it to off as a personal preference, rather than trying to remember to use Sport mode each time.  

Would also prefer dipstick to check oil level. 

Maybe my being so old is the real problem.

John,

You can switch off the Stop/Start directly on the 718 using a button on the console. I use Sport mode all of the time so it's almost like an selection automatic for me. 

Having experience the laborious process of accessing the 718's engine bay to replace the air filter element recently, a dipstick may not be a practical solution.....unfortunately.

One other thing I love on my 718 CS, Sport Chrono allows the driver to select a Sport PSM mode by depressing the console switch for two seconds. A message on the display panel confirms PSM is in Sport Mode. When selected, this significantly backs off the electronic intervention of PSM, and is much appreciated on track days. It still allows slidey "playfulness" when exiting slow corners, but retains the safety net at the extreme end of the dynamic range. It's very effective in my experince. I can also switch PSM "off" altogether by holding the console switch down for more than two seconds. Alas, as in all previous Caymans, the PSM is never truly "off".

Brian

• 1 month later...

Love

1) The Handling.  I've driven some much much more exotic stuff and felt anything but disappointed returning to the R.

2) The noise.  6 cylinders and NA is a good combination

3) The carbon bucket seats.  Extremely comfortable and supportive, if a bit of a pain to get out when you don't have room to open the door much

4) It's ability to upset much more expensive and powerful things - punches above its weight

5) That it's relatively analogue - manual, mechanical LSD, hydraulic steering, suspension not controlled by a computer

Hate

1) Rattles.  The rattle from the rear passenger side trim is particularly tedious

2) The engine map.  Starts promising at low revs and lots of fun at high revs but a mid range that feels like it has all the get up and go of a corpse

3) Paint that falls off the inside of the arches and chips with an astonishing ease

4) The radio - lots of hiss even when the sound is muted.  Speakers that are at best mediocre, the worse hands free quality of any car I have owned by a country mile

5) The sense that it doesn't feel as well built as it should.  Exhaust clamps that last five minutes, exhaust tips that corrode with comical ease, the aforementioned trim rattles, the force to shut the doors being just a bit more than should be necessary, the gas struts for he boot that seemed tired and lethargic by the time the car was 3.....  Porsche are meant to be a premium brand but honestly I think my 60k mile Mondeo has worn it's miles better than the 25k Cayman - and the Mondeo is used and abused where the Cayman is looked after....

5 hours ago, Cayman R Paul said:

1) Rattles.  The rattle from the rear passenger side trim is particularly tedious

That couldn't be the passenger's seat belt latch, could it?  When on my own in the 981, after my wife has used the passenger belt, I always tighten the passenger belt latch up against the panel with the plastic clip; otherwise it rattles continuously.   

Brian - I  do sometimes use the start/stop cancel button rather than the Sport mode; sometimes simply forget.  Probably a paranoia that the starter will fail earlier if I allow the stop/start. 

See you on the 19th? (Anglesey). 

On 11/05/2018 at 16:40, John Whalley said:

That couldn't be the passenger's seat belt latch, could it?  When on my own in the 981, after my wife has used the passenger belt, I always tighten the passenger belt latch up against the panel with the plastic clip; otherwise it rattles continuously.   

Brian - I  do sometimes use the start/stop cancel button rather than the Sport mode; sometimes simply forget.  Probably a paranoia that the starter will fail earlier if I allow the stop/start. 

See you on the 19th? (Anglesey). 

Sadly not.  It seems to be from the plastic trim that surround the rear strut top mounts or one of the neighbouring bits of trim.  I've never been able to get the exact spot.  My rather poor solution is to wedge a jumper in the gap between the top mount trim and the roof pillar.  This works.  But when it's a hot day and I don't have a jumper to stuff in there it is annoying. And yes, I probably should have explored a better solution by now....