From hero to zero. The story of replacing your manifolds.

I had terrible experience with Top Gear, finally got the cat back system off the car and into the tip. The gaskets didn't align properly with the stock manifolds, the brackets snapped in half twice. They didn't offer a replacement or to fix the broken brackets and fobbed me off 5 times by phone and even their managing director gave me a load of grief. 

Hope you have better luck with them though! 

Just now, jcm987 said:

I had terrible experience with Top Gear, finally got the cat back system off the car and into the tip. The gaskets didn't align properly with the stock manifolds, the brackets snapped in half twice. They didn't offer a replacement or to fix the broken brackets and fobbed me off 5 times by phone and even their managing director gave me a load of grief. 

Hope you have better luck with them though! 

Well, at the risk of this going off-topic, but just for info...I've recently fitted Topgear 200cel manifolds to my 987 Gen2, no issues with the quality, fitment or the awesome sound track that accompany them. These fitted perfectly, and thankfully were a cinch to remove, to the Remus cat-back I'd previously installed. Although I did need a single lambda sensor, a sod to remove and to route!

• Like 1

Had the same problem as you with my 986 a couple of years ago.

I had 8 of 12 snap off , left side was 5/6 so no way of fixing a jig on. I had some mini jigs made that screwed onto the stub of thread left sticking up and allowed me to drill a 3mm centre hole, then I worked up in 0.5mm increments and tapped the remainder out.

Took about 3 weeks on and off, nasty job and I have a lift. Terrible design by Porsche, should be SS from the factory.

I've got loads of photos I could upload but they're all too big (2MB) and I have no idea how to make them smaller.

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

Edited by Stephen Auty
  • Like 1

Might be an idea to rent that jig out once you're finished with it.

I do the same with my IMS tools, it helps to get some cash back and provides a cheaper way of doing the job for fellow mechanics. 

Thanks all for the replies, 

Update is as follows:

-Topgear have finally made contact when I emailed them to question the fitment of the manifolds. Said that if they wanted to fit and adjust them then I'm happy to do that. Or just get another set that does fit sent out / exchanged. I'm dealing with Alexander one of the directors. 

- Emails have been sporadic but latest was that I've sent pictures to them as requested of the manifolds so they can investigate on their end. So as of yet they are still in the box. 🤣

- New hardware is fairing up well. We'll be properly checking it this bank holiday to make sure nothing has come loose or leaking

- Drilling jig is to be rented out so any interest do let me know. Its pencil booked for a couple of weeks starting next weekend. But let me know dates and I can organise how it will get to you. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So we finally have an update!! 

Been in discussion with Topgear about these manifolds and after exchanging some pictures they admitted that they looked wrong on the angle of the end flanges. Like they had been welded on at the wrong angle. 

So they said they had a new batch coming in a few weeks and they would be in touch when they arrive and check them. 

So today a fresh new set of manifolds arrived and they are looking positive from initial looks against the old set. The angle of the flange is now different and more in line with what I was seeing the issue with fitment to be. 

So plan is to hopefully get them fitted this weekend and I will report back with noise and if they go on correctly. 

But currently it's all looking good for the next phase. 

IMG_20190627_183544.jpg.2e5ef11033a4063661a4149f818885d6.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hiya - interesting experience shared here, thanks. I am replacing manifolds on a 987 Cayman S for track use and fully expect 12 out of 12 studs to snap - if I go into the job expecting this, any bolt that doesn't snap on me is a bonus. 

I have a question for you though as you didn't list your tools - what were you using to unscrew the original bolts? Did you use a ratchet wrench with extensions, or a breaker bar, or an impact wrench?

I warmed up the engine (so the casing would expand) and I then tapped quite hard with a small hammer all the bolt heads..remember there is no use whatsoever spraying release fluid on them, it wont get to the threads at all and basically the stuck bolts in mine had become part of the engine block.

I then used a small breaker bar and carefully applied pressure, they break off really easily because corrosion below the head has reduced the thickness of the bolt.

If like me you have 5 of 6 snap off on one side you can't use the stomski jig because you can't hold it in place..

It's a horrible job.  I have bought a Cayman now and really want to have a go at getting these ones out before they seize in forever if they haven't already.