About to become a Gen 2 Cayman S owner

10 hours ago, Porsched eggs said:

Car looks great.

ive been watching the 987 market in general lately and prices seem to be firming up, in some cases they are even on the rise (gen2) so I don't think it's cheap but you haven't over paid.

Thank you, picked it up this morning and have driven it to work! Just want to go out for a drive! Lovely car though. 

I was looking at Gen 2's over a year ago and the prices haven't changed since then, like you say, if anything the prices are fractionally higher than I saw last year. 

Be good to be in a car that doesn't depreciate massively, haven't owned an appreciating car since the S2000.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2019 at 11:25, Childsy said:

Thank you, picked it up this morning and have driven it to work! Just want to go out for a drive! Lovely car though. 

I was looking at Gen 2's over a year ago and the prices haven't changed since then, like you say, if anything the prices are fractionally higher than I saw last year. 

Be good to be in a car that doesn't depreciate massively, haven't owned an appreciating car since the S2000.

Nice car, and definitely different to the S2000. I had two S2000's; an 03 plate which I then swapped for a runout GT100. I bought my 987.2 S last September and prices seem to be the same now as then.

You mention appreciating cars; I PX'd my GT100 against a C63 in 2014, and got £12.5k for it. Last time I saw a GT100 for sale it was £20k plus. Oh well...

Enjoy the Cayman, its a lot less frustrating to drive in "normal" conditions than the S2000.

On 28/06/2019 at 16:07, The-Wanderer said:

Nice car, and definitely different to the S2000. I had two S2000's; an 03 plate which I then swapped for a runout GT100. I bought my 987.2 S last September and prices seem to be the same now as then.

You mention appreciating cars; I PX'd my GT100 against a C63 in 2014, and got £12.5k for it. Last time I saw a GT100 for sale it was £20k plus. Oh well...

Enjoy the Cayman, its a lot less frustrating to drive in "normal" conditions than the S2000.

Thank you, barely driven it since I've bought it but a trip to Carnewal this coming weekend will add some much needed mileage under my belt :D 

Loved the GT100, certainly worth a pretty penny now for what could've been paid for one only a few years ago. The S2000 was a very raw driving experience in comparison, loved it for that but tiresome after some time. The Cayman makes a cracking all rounder, even makes a good GT 👌

• 1 year later...

Have neglected this thread so am trying (and failing) to add some photos of how my Cayman looks today. Can’t seem to upload any of my images due to file sizes being too big....

Anyway some additions to the car are:

- Carnewal GT Exhaust with Cayman R exhaust tips

- Cayman R/Spyder Wheels 

- Apple Car Play stereo

- Alcantara steering wheel, armrest and handbrake cover

- Porsche Red Seatbelts

- Cayman R headlight surrounds 

- Front and rear grilles 

- Desnork Mod

- Removed rear windscreen wiper

- Black Cayman S badge

Pretty much now looks like a black edition car. Love it.

8D3CFFB4-23A8-426F-ACFC-CB0D876ADF2D.jpeg

Edited by Childsy
  • Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 10:05, Childsy said:

Hi all. Quick background on my previous cars.

I have had a S2000, R32 Golf, 430 bhp stage 2 M135i and a 2.0 Zetec 190bhp Westfield. Photos to follow. 

I am now about to be a proud owner of a 2009 Basalt Black Gen 2 3.4 Porsche Cayman S and can’t wait! The garage is preparing the car, servicing detailing etc so just got to wait for it. Excitement is building!! 

Spec is:

19” Carrera Sport Wheels

PCM3 Sat Nav

Sports Suspension

Sports seats

PSM

Rear parking sensors

Heated seats

Mileage is 50k and it has full main dealer service history. I paid £24k, does that seem reasonable? Seems the going rate for a gen 2 from what I have seen online.

E7E3D397-92B4-4815-86CA-0DA2B176524F.jpeg

To add my Cayman has PDK with Sports Chrono. Sports Chrono has to be a must with the PDK. Throttle response is great and almost gives a boost when you change gear. Clever bit of engineering and use of Software by Porsche 👌.

Nice! I’ve been toying with the idea of retrimming my wheel and handbrake in alcantara too, looks really good. Any reason why you didn’t do the gear stick? Very similar to my interior even down to the red seatbelts 😄 Who did the retrimming for you? 
Chris 

• 3 months later...

I’m using the money towards a bigger house. Will definitely miss it though :(..... I’m sure I’ll be in a 987.2 again at some point. Probably the R though as that’ll be a keeper for me.