Detailing - Pay for it or DIY? Where? How?

I've clayed a few cars and then spent time polishing and waxing, all by hand. 

It it took an age to complete, but the finish was fantastic. 

My current daily.. Not a Cayman... Needs doing, so I'll stick up some before and after pictures when we get a nice weekend of weather. 

36 minutes ago, Drew said:

I've clayed a few cars and then spent time polishing and waxing, all by hand. 

It it took an age to complete, but the finish was fantastic. 

My current daily.. Not a Cayman... Needs doing, so I'll stick up some before and after pictures when we get a nice weekend of weather. 

...or... you could give Nick a hand with mine and I'll do the videoing?? 

Just now, DJMC said:

...or... you could give Nick a hand with mine and I'll do the videoing?? 

Depends on what biscuits you serve with tea!? 

• Founder

So let me get this straight

Kev doing video

Drew eating biscuits 

Nick doing all the hard work

David gets a nice clean car...

I'm not entirely sure i'm convinced about the division of labour here

Now look, it's all very well others muscling in on detailing my car...

...no, really, it IS!

Edited by DJMC

15 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

Ah ha, only a real pro uses blue tape ;)  

OK, OK... so you need Kev for the taping up. I said I'd do the other taping (video) already, so that'll free him up.

Happy now? o.O

12 hours ago, Beanoir said:

More importantly have you bought some polish yet?? 

Why... is it THIS weekend you're all coming over!? :o

8 hours ago, Andy said:

Up for some biscuits though! 

Hold on... my biscuit quota could be effected by this! 

Would be interesting to see how much a full treatment would cost in various places, its never something I've thought of getting done myself but could be tempted. 

On 8 February 2016 at 21:13, Beanoir said:

Get something like a Meguires clay kit or Autogleam, they come with spray lube.  That's what I use.  It's only something you need to use a couple of times a year at the most, depending on how much you drive your car.  

Ive used meguires stuff for years. I rate there clay bar and lube highly. However don't be tempted to re-use it or worse still drop it and pick it up as some one I know did in there younger days when money was tight....ok I will own up it was me. I put a lovely scratch in the paint from a small piece of gravel stuck in the bar.  Replace the tiny piece of clay regularly and use lube, lots of lube ? Oh how am I sat here chuckling lol..

By the way, as far as lube goes the advice I got from one of the UK's top detailers, that really all you need to get the job done when claying is putting some of your car shampoo with water in any spray bottle, and that is more than good enough.  Sure it's lovely to use meguiars spray lube, or Swissvax Quick Detailer, but it gets pretty expensive if you use it a lot.  It's not like you will get a gleaming finish after claying the car.  You still need to rinse it and then go over with cleaner fluid anyway, so using an expensive lube spray is just unnecessary.  I use Swissvax Paint Rubber as clay, and I have a ton of their products.  However, since buying all that stuff 3 years ago, the detailing products market has moved on significantly and you can buy a lot better stuff at much cheaper prices.