sevenfourates 987.1 Meteor Grey Cayman.........

sevenfourate

Painting (Complete bonnet - and blended into wings, a deep scratch of the lip of passenger rear wing, a mark under the passenger side sill and the inside lips of the rear bumper from stones / debris being thrown up) is well under way.... [Short video below]

https://vimeo.com/363620371

Sprayer also said whilst moving the car - the sticky lifter cleared itself / re-primed with oil and engine was 'quiet as a mouse' 🙄. Pretty much as we all thought - but i'm forging ahead with new Porsche approved (A40) oil. This time in 5w-40 grade; as many dealers. indy's and owners suggest this for a used car....and as opposed to the 0W-40 that is currently in the car - and Porsche fill with from new. Obviously doing oil filter at the same time while we're there, and ordered 5 new crush washers: for this time and future use......

BdCjxRF.jpg

Next up: Remap after a bit of pondering. Most definitely not for any BHP increases per-se - but for the smoothing out, throttle response etc and real World driveability.  Then once it's pretty much layed-up for the Winter i shall attack the refinishing of the centre console, handbrake and gear lever. Most certainly in leather and not alcantara.

Then i shall be getting very close to my vision of how i want the car to be. But then all modders say that at every stage..........

Cheers.

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1

Brilliant news about the engine noise disappearing 👏

Bonnet looks awesome,  you'll be paranoid about stone chips now. 

Being a fussy sod I could really do with my bonnet and bumper painting, think I might struggle to get it passed SWMBO 😩

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Tozerman said:

Brilliant news about the engine noise disappearing 👏

Bonnet looks awesome,  you'll be paranoid about stone chips now. 

Being a fussy sod I could really do with my bonnet and bumper painting, think I might struggle to get it passed SWMBO 😩

Yes thanks. TBH the lifter noise disappearing is probably much-much better news than the current state of the spray-job going to plan ! However much assurance you get that "it will all be ok / is completely normal' - that doesn't take away the niggling doubt. Regular use seems to be the way going forward.......

Oh i hear you on SWMBO. That's why i say as little as possible and keep all things Porsche to myself. It's too cold to get kicked out and have to live in the shed in Winter 🤣

Looking good! I should really get this done to mine too at some point. Have you also sprayed the bottom of the  front arches, which suffer from similar stone rash? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

Looking good! I should really get this done to mine too at some point. Have you also sprayed the bottom of the  front arches, which suffer from similar stone rash? 

Thanks. Yes....we'll see how refreshed it comes out looking !

And just HA !!!! ***My paint guy wanted to do the bonnet first while it was easy to get to with the car on the floor. Then do the the rear bumper, passenger sill, mark in rear arch etc with the car raised. For the same reason of access - and to stop the risk of blowing up 'rubbish' from the floor when spraying.

Bonnet completed; he got the car up in the air to paint the lower parts - and after all prep work had been done for the lower parts (Or so he thought) and noticed exactly what you mention. So while the car is there we are now doing both sides; as he said it the right time now to catch it.

A "simple" bonnet respray may have run away with 'us' very slightly........😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Looks great, what sort of cost?

Thankyou very much. 

I kind of gave the painter an open chequebook to start with; with us definitely not aiming for ‘perfection’ or a completely flaw free car - but aiming on getting rid of the major glaring signs of 12 years use whilst tidying it up.

I have an idea of what costs might run to - but his might be different to mine !! We’ll see 😎

1 hour ago, sevenfourate said:

Thankyou very much. 

I kind of gave the painter an open chequebook to start with; with us definitely not aiming for ‘perfection’ or a completely flaw free car - but aiming on getting rid of the major glaring signs of 12 years use whilst tidying it up.

I have an idea of what costs might run to - but his might be different to mine !! We’ll see 😎

😬Hopefully they are in line with your expectations!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a bright, dry day at the weekend and i'm not working !

Took advantage of the extra hour this morning; by taking in a pleasant Sunday drive......

aBHfcsm.jpg

Then had a sympathetic clean-up of the old girl:

Uwczonk.jpg

And revelled in the reflections from the new paint........

8gjRM65.jpg

***Re-map happening this week maybe. Basically - on the first dry day i can get away from work early 😂

• Like 1

Can also confirm the Cosmos (Award Winning in past years) indoor dust cover i bought for a bargain £34 delivered from Amazon: COSMOS MEDIUM INDOOR CAR COVER isn't a bad fit at all.

***Previously paid about £70 a few years ago for one for my Clio ! VERY soft, stretchy material, elasticated hem, fully breathable, comes in a storage bag etc etc

gO1zAyh.jpg

QnlYfTj.jpg

5ErS80d.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks 748 for the cover recommendation. 

I was going to get one of the carnewal ones, but at only £34 the Amazon cosmos ones a billy bargain - and just hit ‘buy’ now 😉👍🏻

Cheers, Jason

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Thanks 748 for the cover recommendation. 

I was going to get one of the carnewal ones, but at only £34 the Amazon cosmos ones a billy bargain - and just hit ‘buy’ now 😉👍🏻

Cheers, Jason

Pleasure to help Jason. Exactly why I always add links etc

Let me know your thoughts when it’s on and doing it’s thing !

Cheers - Syer.

On 28/10/2019 at 20:11, sevenfourate said:

Pleasure to help Jason. Exactly why I always add links etc

Let me know your thoughts when it’s on and doing it’s thing !

Cheers - Syer.

Hi Syer,

my cosmos cover arrived yesterday and is on the car now. 

For a ‘non-fitted’ cover it fits pretty near glove-like. 

Its plenty big big enough to cover the car completely and ‘hook’ nicely under the front and rear bumpers and down to the door sills, with room enough for the door mirrors. 

A nice soft soft feel to it so no paint scratching, and I’m sure it’ll be sufficiently breathable too. And even SWMBO said the car looks good in ‘her red dress’ 😍😁😉

At £34 delivered its absolutely perfect.

Thanks again for the recommendation. 👍🏻

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Hi Syer,

my cosmos cover arrived yesterday and is on the car now. 

For a ‘non-fitted’ cover it fits pretty near glove-like. 

Its plenty big big enough to cover the car completely and ‘hook’ nicely under the front and rear bumpers and down to the door sills, with room enough for the door mirrors. 

A nice soft soft feel to it so no paint scratching, and I’m sure it’ll be sufficiently breathable too. And even SWMBO said the car looks good in ‘her red dress’ 😍😁😉

At £34 delivered its absolutely perfect.

Thanks again for the recommendation. 👍🏻

Superb Jason ! Yea fit isn't bad at all. And quality is bloody good too i think. Did me proud previously on my Clio. For £34 this time around it's way more than you could ever hope for.

Glad you and the Mrs both like it 🤣

**Taking my cover to the Mother in Laws tomorrow (Ex seamstress) to have a sealed slit put in it; with a 'flap' above - so i can get access to the C-Tek charger loom on the battery without dust and cr4p geting under the cover.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too much happening here. Apart from had the car Dyno'd recently ahead of being re-mapped and was a little down on power (231hp). Which was a little surprising as it runs supremely well and i thought was all i should expect....

So just to keep this thread up to date - i've copied and pasted some initial thoughts from  a thread i started about "Knock sensor failure" :

So a few hours Googling tells me hydraulic VVT failure isn't entirely common as per the above. And a failure has very obvious and clear symptoms. Hunting, chuffing like a V8 on methanol, very poor running etc etc. Nothing like i have: which is a clean running and seemingly perfect car that slightly down on power (231bhp on the dyno) and wouldn't / didn't respond to any ignition advance changes......

And having checked my folder - the car did indeed have 6 new spark plugs and 6 new Beru ignition coils in May of this year. And seeing as it doesn't splutter, misfire, idle badly, lose a cylinder in any way - i'm kind of presuming it's unlikely to be a fault of either of these parts.

So: Knock sensors. Two in these cars. Porsche want £100'ish each. Couple of Porsche places online want £40-£45 each plus postage - and after researching: the original part is a Bosch item with part number 0261231173.......which relates to Porsche part no: 997 606 121 00.

My local motor factors can and is supplying two Bosch items for £50 all in and they will be arriving Monday. Going to get the car into my local indy before i go away Thursday and whatever the diagnosis - will have the two new knock sensors fitted anyway - as its highly likely access to the engine will need to be gained for something and it seems prudent (and a cheap insurance) to whack a pair in at this time.....especially when it's highly likely one / both of these may be part / all of the fault anyway.

Wish me luck !

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Before fitting parts, have you checked all the AFRs, fuel trims etc? It could be something simpler and cheaper

Thanks for your thoughts.

As far as i'm aware - a faulty knock sensor(s) would definitely lead the car going into some sort of 'safe mode' - knocking back timing....and not allowing it / responding to ignition advance situations. Which i what we are experiencing.

You think poor fuelling; leading toward possible detonation might be causing the car to do the same thing ?

• Like 1