Radio/cd player stuck on mute “fix”

Buggyjam

Hi all, 

i very (very) occasionally have to deal with a minor issue. It’s so minor, and likely a glitch that I live with it. I found this “fix” on a forum somewhere in the US so I thought I’d share incase you ever had it.

i have the bog standard CDR30 in a gen 2. On 3 occasions in 2 years I’ve come back to the car and the radio/CD is muted. I mean no hiss, nothing. It’s like the speakers have been disconnected. 

If you get this the fix makes you look utterly insane to an observer but I quite like that. Makes us cayman owners even more mystical. Bet 911 owners don’t get to do cool stuff like this. Get out of the car, lock it using the press button, then walk out of key fob range (I usually walk around a corner). Then come back, unlock and it returns to life.

i swear  with having to walk away from your Porsche out of eyesight, and the occasional Somme like smoke on start - always on high streets, these are built in features to make observers look at Porsche owners like we own clown cars.

(My Dad joked when I did  the key thing and said “I’m sure the car can’t see you, although it’s watching like Herbie, try now”)

• Like 1

......Sounds like you’re in need of a new Air Oil separator too.

Mine had one or two minor ‘puffs’ when I first got it. A new AOS made them disappear altogether.

Treating them like Turbo car - and always letting them idle for 30 seconds to a minute after running can pretty much eliminate a smoky start up.

Good luck !

The AoS is ok, it was replaced. It just puffs occasionally on start.  It’s a flat six thing.

it only occasionally does it. I’m cool with it 😄. I think it’s the cars way of protecting me from unsuitable dates who might see it ha.  Cheers for turbo style tip,I’ll try that one! 

Edited by Buggyjam

On 16/09/2019 at 11:43, GlosRich said:

Dont you just hold the power button down for a few seconds to mute or un-mute it?

Doesn’t seem to work in this instance, the radio is muted by itself when you turn on the ignition and won’t unmute. 

• Thanks 1

Can you see the mute icon on the screen? With my radio, I have a little speaker with a line through it to show it's muted.

I think the amps are a common problem with 987s. It could be this. Mine is on its way out, it's a bit of pot luck whether I get into the car and there is sound out of the speakers or not. 

20 hours ago, Bukbuk said:

Can you see the mute icon on the screen? With my radio, I have a little speaker with a line through it to show it's muted.

I think the amps are a common problem with 987s. It could be this. Mine is on its way out, it's a bit of pot luck whether I get into the car and there is sound out of the speakers or not. 

No radio appears normal visually. It’s so rare it does it. I think 3 times now. I’ve “fixed” it every time using the going out of range of the key fob method. It’s proper weird. 

Edited by Buggyjam