2.7 Base: Remap Vs Sprinter Booster Vs Do Nothing ?

On 24/12/2019 at 13:16, sevenfourate said:

Have you managed to fit your Sprint-Booster: and test-drive it yet @Ben ?

Don't leave us all hanging......😁

Not yet, too much eating, drinking and rubbish weather! Hoping to get it fitted this weekend, will keep you posted 

OK. so Sprint Booster successfully installed and tested over the Xmas period....  and I have to say I am massively impressed.  To me, as with the lowered suspension, I think this is the way the car should have been setup straight out of the factory.  I'm running it on the standard middle setting - Sport 5 - and it seems to be just the right balance between immediacy of throttle response without being so sensitive that it's difficult to drive smoothly, and most importantly, the annoying 'lag' of the fly by wire is gone.  It feels like the car has an extra 50bhp off the line - which of course it doesn't - but the way the power is delivered so quickly now is amazing.   I've installed the little remote on the dash as I wanted to be able to change the settings back to normal so I could remind myself what a difference it makes!  :) 

Its a relatively easy install, which took about 45 mins for me, mostly due to trying to figure out how to remove the throttle cable connector.  This is a great guide to give a general overview of the process:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/196447-installed-sprint-booster-my-997-c2-instructions-w-pics.html

Only a couple of issues I found which may be of help to others, to add to Syers advice:

1. when removing the throttle pedal assembly, after removing the single screw, you have to pull the whole unit up and back, towards the bulkhead - I was trying to pull straight up and wondering why it was so difficult to shift (I was being a bit dim!)
  2. as others have mentioned, releasing the electrical connector is the biggest PIA - I found a suggestion else where to use adjustable pliers to prise the grey clip down, which worked perfectly for me - see here: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/accelerator-pedal-electronics-connector.231162/
  3. as previously mentioned, the included cable tie is far too small, so have a bigger one available to tie the unit out of the way behind the throttle pedal
  4. the wire for the remote can be easily threaded under the steering column to enable the controller to be installed next to the steering wheel, if you so desire!

For £150ish and less than an hour to fit I think this is an excellent mod!

IMG_20191228_154449.jpg

IMG_20191228_164958.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben said:

OK. so Sprint Booster successfully installed and tested over the Xmas period....  and I have to say I am massively impressed.  To me, as with the lowered suspension, I think this is the way the car should have been setup straight out of the factory.  I'm running it on the standard middle setting - Sport 5 - and it seems to be just the right balance between immediacy of throttle response without being so sensitive that it's difficult to drive smoothly, and most importantly, the annoying 'lag' of the fly by wire is gone.  It feels like the car has an extra 50bhp off the line - which of course it doesn't - but the way the power is delivered so quickly now is amazing.   I've installed the little remote on the dash as I wanted to be able to change the settings back to normal so I could remind myself what a difference it makes!  :) 

Its a relatively easy install, which took about 45 mins for me, mostly due to trying to figure out how to remove the throttle cable connector.  This is a great guide to give a general overview of the process:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/196447-installed-sprint-booster-my-997-c2-instructions-w-pics.html

Only a couple of issues I found which may be of help to others, to add to Syers advice:

1. when removing the throttle pedal assembly, after removing the single screw, you have to pull the whole unit up and back, towards the bulkhead - I was trying to pull straight up and wondering why it was so difficult to shift (I was being a bit dim!)
  2. as others have mentioned, releasing the electrical connector is the biggest PIA - I found a suggestion else where to use adjustable pliers to prise the grey clip down, which worked perfectly for me - see here: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/accelerator-pedal-electronics-connector.231162/
  3. as previously mentioned, the included cable tie is far too small, so have a bigger one available to tie the unit out of the way behind the throttle pedal
  4. the wire for the remote can be easily threaded under the steering column to enable the controller to be installed next to the steering wheel, if you so desire!

For £150ish and less than an hour to fit I think this is an excellent mod!

IMG_20191228_154449.jpg

IMG_20191228_164958.jpg

So pleased to hear you love it @Ben Thats great news. Brilliant aren’t they ! I ended up in Race 1 setting. About the Max I felt I could push it without getting all jerky - lol. Maybe I just don’t get on the gas as early as you 😂

Ha ! On getting the pedal out. Been there ! And to quote from my ‘Members cars’ thread:

”....then completely unbolted my throttle pedal (One single large phillips set-screw). Not sure you'd even be able to get to the wiring connector otherwise. And it pulls upward to remove it from the car......”

Do all us men never read instructions..... 😉

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
45 minutes ago, Scott1967 said:

Well my sprint booster arrived yesterday so I’ve installed it this morning 

following the instructions and a couple of YouTube videos 

simple enough really 

Ive always thought my 2.7 cayman was slightly lacking something so after fitting the Carnewal gt exhaust she really sounds sweet, a remap helped a little on smoothing out the acceleration with a bit more umph 
After reading and watching reviews I decided to set up the booster on sport 5 and race 5 

I’ve just got back from my first try and I can honestly say sport 5 feels fantastic I would say “as the car should have been as stock“ in my opinion
the power was there almost instantly especially when coming off a roundabout on a duel carriageway oooooph 

so I thought I’d switch to race 5 ...........

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh

for the first 1/2mile Then a roundabout then the noise coming from me turned into laughter.........unbelievable I can’t believe you don’t get one of these free when you buy the car

Pretty sure "Race 5" is where i ended up too (Set up and then removed controller)

Couldn't agree more on all points !

ENJOY. More so now 🙂 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Im currently torn between a remap and this sprint booster!
A lot of positive vibes coming from them.
When i first got my 2.9 the first thought was that it was lacking the urgency and responsiveness of my old S2000.
Remap claiming around 280bhp though is very attractive but the £500 price tag is putting me off a little, whereas less than £200 is very attractive.

🤔

1 hour ago, Craig Bradley said:

Im currently torn between a remap and this sprint booster!
A lot of positive vibes coming from them.
When i first got my 2.9 the first thought was that it was lacking the urgency and responsiveness of my old S2000.
Remap claiming around 280bhp though is very attractive but the £500 price tag is putting me off a little, whereas less than £200 is very attractive.

🤔

Having done both....either are great. And very noticeable. More so the SB.

Both attacking slightly different area's of course.

Deffo SB first IMO. You can still Remap after; with the SB in place if you so desire.

Good Luck.

I got both done.  First the FVD tune and then the SB.  I'd say get both 🙂

If normal drive mode is 1 and Sport mode is 2 and Sport plus is 3, the SB seems to be like a 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 although I've yet to try the 3.5. 

My SB is the 2nd Gen 3 mode version and I've settled on green.  It's very nice for city driving.