Tozerman's Red 2.7

Tozerman

1 minute ago, Andrea said:

Also have you considered which oil to go with? RBF660 is a good one....

Good shout ! I've got RBF660 and ATE Type 200 "In Stock" in my reserves; as i also checked that earlier.

Used both for some time on all my vehicles - and had no issues (Road use only) with either fluid.....

I had ATE Typ 200 last year and liked it, just went a bit ‘soft’ at the end of a hard days use on bedford Autodrome’s GT Cct in Jan this year (but had been in the car a year nearly by then with 5 trackdays use in 10 months). 

Now using RBF600 (and had GT3 MC fitted in March) - pedal feel on normal road driving is very nicely firm and with far more initial bite at top end of pedal travel than before. Done one track evening so far with the RBF with no fade at all (but shorter session as only an evening). 

Back to Bedford on the 17th for a full day on the GT Cct (with ~1mile straight) so that should be a good test of the fluid. 

6 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Already purchased for Autodoc this am. Got impatient you hadn't answered in 3 milliseconds 😂

Thanks guys !

Dude it was an hour later 😁😁

Your lucky as I can go a couple of days without visiting here.. 

Yes still happy with it...

However my thoughts are that the servo is not strong enough to operate that size MC efficiently 🤔

If I had my time again there is a 26mm MC available which is likely a good compromise. 

But no regrets on the 28mm one. 

Porsche want shooting for releasing a 160mph car with such sh*t brakes.. 

46 minutes ago, Tozerman said:

Dude it was an hour later 😁😁

Your lucky as I can go a couple of days without visiting here.. 

Yes still happy with it...

However my thoughts are that the servo is not strong enough to operate that size MC efficiently 🤔

If I had my time again there is a 26mm MC available which is likely a good compromise. 

But no regrets on the 28mm one. 

Porsche want shooting for releasing a 160mph car with such sh*t brakes.. 

Ha ! It was sarcastic humour 🙂 ***Me and Mavrik were involved in some chat with others on a Facebook group reference the very same topic. So once i knew what i needed to; i bought one.

You now saying you're not entirely convinced this is "the" solution ? Are you thinking of trying the 26mm version. Sounds like you are to me.......

***I've not been here in weeks. But when i came on today to search "GT3 Master Cylinder" this very topic was right at the head of the found listings !

38 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

Ha ! It was sarcastic humour 🙂 ***Me and Mavrik were involved in some chat with others on a Facebook group reference the very same topic. So once i knew what i needed to; i bought one.

You now saying you're not entirely convinced this is "the" solution ? Are you thinking of trying the 26mm version. Sounds like you are to me.......

***I've not been here in weeks. But when i came on today to search "GT3 Master Cylinder" this very topic was right at the head of the found listings !

Hi Syer, no problem I love sarcastic humour 🤣

I am not going to try the 26mm MC as it is the best part of £300 fitted and I wouldn't be able to get that past SWMBO 😁

I've no regrets at all. The Gt3 MC is light years ahead of the standard one. Be interested in how you get on.. 

How do you mean that the servo is not strong enough? You mean it requires too much pedal pressure?

Do you have a part number for the 26mm MC? I'm yet to do this mod but may add it to my list... (I still have various parts in my shed waiting for a nice, free, weekend - Bilstein B8s, new engine mount, new gearbox mounts etc etc)

2 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

How do you mean that the servo is not strong enough? You mean it requires too much pedal pressure?

Do you have a part number for the 26mm MC? I'm yet to do this mod but may add it to my list... (I still have various parts in my shed waiting for a nice, free, weekend - Bilstein B8s, new engine mount, new gearbox mounts etc etc)

Hi Lenny, 

Basically yes you are correct, in my opinion the pedal pressure could do with being slightly lighter. A more powerful servo or a slightly smaller MC would maybe solve the problem. 

There was an old thread on PistonHeads that gave the part number of the 26mm version. I will see if I can find it later... 

• 5 weeks later...

Nice work. It’s great when you succeed in completing a job yourself. You also save lots of Porsche or beer tokens.

• 3 months later...

Great read Tony your car looks great.

Very to interesting to hear your thoughts on the GT3 master cylinder, I have always felt the stock pedal was a little spongey.

I may have to give one a try myself. 
Steering wheel looks good too.

I can already tell this forum is going to be bad news for my wallet!

2 hours ago, JAJ123 said:

Very to interesting to hear your thoughts on the GT3 master cylinder, I have always felt the stock pedal was a little spongey.

The brake feel in the 986 is a lot better than the 987 and the only difference is the servo size. I *think* changing the servo may be a better solution than the master cylinder but I am yet to find somebody who has tried this. I'm tempted to give it a go next year

16 hours ago, JAJ123 said:

Hi James, the GT3 master cylinder is without doubt worth doing. The pedal bite is nice and high/firm. 

As Lenny alludes to  a different servo would be the perfect partner, this would take away the effort needed from your foot. 

Would  GT3 servo fit I wonder 🤔

Tony, do you have braided lines?

There was a noticeable improvement when I had mine installed (although part of this may be due to fresh fluid / bleeding) It was almost if I could feel the texture of the drilled disks when braking hard.

A larger servo is an interesting idea, it would need to be sized appropriately as it would be a shame to 'over servo' the system.

It would be nice to know the size of say 986 vs 987 vs GT3

I do find the stock pedal height works well for heel and toe at moderate braking pressures. I imagine it is probably too low when braking hard on track though.

On 16/11/2020 at 09:10, JAJ123 said:

Tony, do you have braided lines?

There was a noticeable improvement when I had mine installed (although part of this may be due to fresh fluid / bleeding) It was almost if I could feel the texture of the drilled disks when braking hard.

A larger servo is an interesting idea, it would need to be sized appropriately as it would be a shame to 'over servo' the system.

I do find the stock pedal height works well for heel and toe at moderate braking pressures. I imagine it is probably too low when braking hard on track though.

Hi James, 

Just the standard rubber hoses. Unless the car is tracked hard I don't see the point TBH. 

Having said that if I ever need new hoses then I probably would go braided but that's all. 

Personally having a higher brake pedal makes heel and toe trickier 🤔

On 16/11/2020 at 09:10, JAJ123 said:

My suggestion was actually to use the normal master cylinder with a smaller servo (as they did in the 986). it is the only thing changed from 986 to 987 and yet the 986 brake feel is far superior. 

I actualiy find the pedal height and travel perfect for H&T on track, it is just that initial travel/vagueness I'd like to remove

I have a few small winter jobs planned like most people have. 

One of them is the centre console🤔 starting to look a tiny bit shabby (OCD kicking in) 

I have thought about either painting it or maybe getting it covered in Alcantara or similar 🤔

Then I thought about FLOCKING it. 

What's the general opinion of the collective? 

Cost wise I think about £150 ish so probably cheaper than the other options.. 

• 1 month later...

My winter jobs have continued. I have managed to get some garage time in over xmas.

My exhaust has always looked a bit scabby and rusty and ever since I had new exhaust clamps fitted the tail pipes never sat perfectly square in the aperture in the rear bumper,  this never sat well with my OCD.

there was only one thing for it, remove whole exhaust system and clean paint and refit and tweak to get it sitting right.

Removal was easy enough..

IMG_20201226_145101.JPG.00a0b9ffbce4b881651c6880065a2f85.JPG

IMG_20201226_145108.JPG.cad645357a43c9b0fd9739f59ce5339f.JPG

IMG_20201226_145114.JPG.df10d2f80e005ac1496c09bc537dfd12.JPG

IMG_20201226_145949.JPG.3230ab831de87d8e51ce66ef6741360c.JPG

Bizarrely what looks like rust actually isn't. I think it may be some kind of stainless steel as it is not magnetic so in theory it cant be actual rust.

Any way it will Be taken for a gentle bit of vapour bead blasting to remove the surface corrosion then it will be treated to some VHT silver paint.  This will mean new exhaust manifold to system gaskets. Having had a coronary at the prices charged on eBay for 2 of these gaskets, Euro Car Parts came to the rescue for £7.39 😀

Unfortunately whilst under the car I realised the oil leak from the IMS/RMS seal has got worse. I was aware that it was leaking again slightly but it is worse than I though.

IMG_20201226_145211.JPG.ccb6de5119c35bc8718e95920da2a586.JPG

Bearing in mind that these seals were only done in April 2018 and I have only done about 10k miles since then !! I am quite pissed of to be honest.  So once spring arrives I will be getting them done next time by Cavendish Porsche (my nearest indy) I fricking hate oil leaks.

Also on the agenda is getting the wheels refurbished, gun metal grey I think.

New hub centric spacers, 5mm rear and 7mm front to help dial out a bit of understeer along with new bolts.

Only other thing really is to remove the centre console and get it flocked. The prices people pay for a painted or trimmed console makes my eyes water.  I think flocking will cost about £200 or so..

That's it for now, will update next when the exhaust is refitted :)

IMG_20201226_145240.JPG

Edited by Tozerman
  • Like 1

Feel your pain on IMS and/or RMS Tony. Been there - got the shirt. We won't be the last with issues / problems either. Good luck getting properly sorted this time around !

The exhaust debate / thoughts are interesting. People say its 'cheap Stainless'. How does that even work ?  ***I deal in and work with 17.4, 303, 304 and some 'Medical grade' 316 stainless at work. And none of it rusts for our uses (Well; only really on the surface if contaminated by mild steel grinding dust etc). So i'm kind of curious what it really is ?

Also leads me on to getting a bit more noise out of a 987 - which i aim on doing in the new year. TBH spending £500 on a Carnewal [As much as the sound / concept is ace] in light of the previous 'topic' seems perhaps 'mad' (?) long-term; when a decent new, full stainless rear system can be had for £750 upwards.

I'd be really interested to see what yours looks like after vapour blasting........

Keep the good work and 'updates' coming 👌

• Like 1