Is it okay to home service your cayman?

@zcacogp

Ah! ... On the 5 speed box you'll need a 17mm hex & a 16mm star drive bit (bloody ridiculous if you ask me!!)

This linky describes it 😉 

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid.htm

34 minutes ago, Mavrik said:

Just changed out my CS Gen1 6 speed gearbox/transaxle oil (on 66k miles now)

Used Motul 300 75w/90 bought 3L but capacity is 2.8L so a bit spare for top up if needed.

I used a Dremel with cutting disc to make a 2in square hole in the skid plate rather than remove the cross-members etc... Fitted a plastic grommet/tube insert to cover the hole :1_grinning:

I used a 1L capacity fluid pump to refill which was a doddle

Whilst under the car I decided to degrease the entire rear end with Gunk degreaser & jet washed off... Lots of clean Ali now :Banane21:

Saved myself a fair few quid & all receipts filed etc etc...

Good stuff. 

Do you know what oil was in there / when last changed ?

Just stuck the same in mine. Having other work done right now - so not driven. So be interested to hear if you notice the / any difference with an oil "refresh".......

@sevenfourate

I have pretty comprehensive history on my CS & no indication that the tranny oil has been changed before... My CS is on 66k miles now (13yrs) ... the recommendation is to change at 12yrs/120k miles but I'll be changing it out again after around 3yrs I'd imagine... The oil that came out was pretty stinky but still a dark golden colour with zero debris!

Took it out for a spirited "shopping run!!" & tbh feels exactly the same :35_thinking: but peace of mind anyhow...

Edited by Mavrik
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mavrik said:

@sevenfourate

I have pretty comprehensive history on my CS & no indication that the tranny oil has been changed before... My CS is on 66k miles now (13yrs) ... the recommendation is to change at 12yrs/120k miles but I'll be changing it out again after around 3yrs I'd imagine... The oil that came out was pretty stinky but still a dark golden colour with zero debris!

Took it out for a spirited "shopping run!!" & tbh feels exactly the same :35_thinking: but peace of mind anyhow...

Ha ! Absolutely. 

The major mechanical bits you can't see are way more costly / important than the limited glamour you see on outside. And the peace of mind is entirely worth it - agreed.

My mechanic said mine was a 'good colour' too with no obvious particles (13 years and 46k). I've no idea when it was done and didn't look at records etc; just seemed silly not to change while g/box was off for RMS / IMS seals.

Health to enjoy yours Sir !

• Like 1

probably me ....but i think the non-dremel modded cars are more sought after than the dremel modded cars ....and this is sarcasm /humor....well to a point anyway 

16 hours ago, Mavrik said:

@zcacogp

Ah! ... On the 5 speed box you'll need a 17mm hex & a 16mm star drive bit (bloody ridiculous if you ask me!!)

This linky describes it 😉 

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid.htm

Thanks Mavrik, that's very helpful. 

Assume Porsche Mechanics never snapped a bolt head?

Would rather have a dremmel modded car than a porsche with full service history that’s obviously been running for a few k miles with a faulty AOS and putting oil in ports...

Just sarcasm/humour.. well to

a point anyway extanker...

• Thanks 1