987 front brake disc options.

1 minute ago, pstarkey said:

I use this kit from Freaky Parks done 12 track days with CL5+ pads and a marked improvement over standard, kit comes with larger disks.

IMG_0202.jpeg

They look great! Someone had drawn my attention to some negative posts about these on Boxa.net. The poster was unhappy because the pad on the inside of the caliper wasn't making 100 percent contact with the disk (see picture) and therefore braking efficiency was actually reduced. Have you noticed the same?

Screenshot 2020-05-11 12.57.55.png

Screenshot 2020-05-11 12.57.47.png

Screenshot 2020-05-11 12.57.40.png

5 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

They look great! Someone had drawn my attention to some negative posts about these on Boxa.net. The poster was unhappy because the pad on the inside of the caliper wasn't making 100 percent contact with the disk (see picture) and therefore braking efficiency was actually reduced. Have you noticed the same?

Screenshot 2020-05-11 12.57.55.png

Screenshot 2020-05-11 12.57.47.png

Screenshot 2020-05-11 12.57.40.png

Yes I know exactly what they mean, noticed it when i tried to take the pads out and there is a ridge of unworn pad material on the inside of the inside pad.  Not sure if the Porsche discs will be better so will check when i need to replace them.  I don't think braking was reduced though, would overall say better, but I did fit the pads at the same time.

Probably more cosmetic, but i did not like the multi fit/holed disks always looked a bit odd although in reality I expect no impact on performance.

Edited by pstarkey

• 2 weeks later...

To ask an obvious question - what is the benefit of a bigger disc, if your caliper and thus pads remain the same size?

arent you just still applying The same Amount of friction material (ie, pad) surface area to the same contact surface area on the disc? 🤔

is the bigger disc benefit from simply having more material for heat transfer from The braking?

if I could only remember my mech’ engineering learnings from 30 years ago I’d be able to work out if applying a clamping force to a rotating mass further out on the radius from its centre afforded greater stopping force.... 🤔

what have You decided to go for in the end?

have you upgraded the master cylinder too Doug?

Edited by Windymiller

50 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

To ask an obvious question - what is the benefit of a bigger disc, if your caliper and thus pads remain the same size?

arent you just still applying The same Amount of friction material (ie, pad) surface area to the same contact surface area on the disc? 🤔

is the bigger disc benefit from simply having more material for heat transfer from The braking?

if I could only remember my mech’ engineering learnings from 30 years ago I’d be able to work out if applying a clamping force to a rotating mass further out on the radius from its centre afforded greater stopping force.... 🤔

what have You decided to go for in the end?

have you upgraded the master cylinder too Doug?

Mainly leverage. Have you ever tried closing a door pushing with your finger near the hinges? Move the finger further away and it gets simpler.....

More surfaces also means more heat dissipation.....

20 hours ago, Andrea said:

Mainly leverage. Have you ever tried closing a door pushing with your finger near the hinges? Move the finger further away and it gets simpler.....

More surfaces also means more heat dissipation.....

Ah-ha, I knew there would be an obvious explanation, thanks Andrea 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just circling back on this topic as my discs also need replacing as now have small cracks appearing between the holes, these were Brembo OE discs which I replaced these about 3 years ago and have done about 12,000 miles and this includes I think 6 track days. Each time I have swapped in and out Pagid RS29 with titanium heat shields for the track and then back to Textar for the road, so they have had quite a hard life and the rears are now blue.. Annoyingly there is plenty of meat left on the discs but are cracked so must go. 

After much searching around I've gone back to the Brembo OE disks as they are a known quantity, on Ebay Eurocarparts sell all 4 Brembo discs using the voucher code for £162 delivered!  Also found a full set of Textar pads front and rear for £57. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only ever done Sebro discs / Textar pads combo myself too

Got mine from CarParts4Less (ECP's E-commerce side) - they had a 30% promotional discount on - £360 Delivered (F and R) never had any problems with warping etc...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recommend the Mtec discs. You can have them grooved, dimpled drilled, hooked etc and they seem to do the job very well. 

I have Mtec discs and performance friction pads on my 2.7 (smaller discs) and the stopping power on dry roads with warm tyres is almost uncomfortable. Yet to try them on track but I have Thruxton at the end of the month so can give an opinion then