Cayman 987.1 3.4S remap?

12 hours ago, Andrea said:

Depends: 987.1 and 987.2 have different set ups.  987.1 has 2 cats in the headers and 2 in the catback. 987.2 has all 4 cats in the headers.......so more gains to be had with just headers alone, while on the GEN1 best is change the whole exhaust. 

Indeed. I think I'm right in saying the Carnewal GT back section I have means the rear x2 cats have been removed. So coupled with the 200cel headers it's as free as you can make it without being straight through...? The improvement the headers made was very noticeable which isn't surprising when you look at the standard design which is horrid. 

Will be interesting to see what the dyno says...

10 hours ago, Edmundo2 said:

Indeed. I think I'm right in saying the Carnewal GT back section I have means the rear x2 cats have been removed. So coupled with the 200cel headers it's as free as you can make it without being straight through...? The improvement the headers made was very noticeable which isn't surprising when you look at the standard design which is horrid. 

Will be interesting to see what the dyno says...

Sort of....because "freedom" isn't just the lack of cats.....the actually catback inside has routes and could have a resonator, baffles and so on. 

Straight pipes it's literally just that.....catless manifolds and simply pipes till the rear tips. Mind you some company do have a small resonator in the straight pipes catback too.......it's complicated 😅

My dreams set ups for catback is the Fabspeed Tracktech because it has the valves before the back boxes, effectively you can go from straight pipes to "loud catback" at a push of a button!  It would be the best of both worlds for trackways and road, except that I don't have DB measurements to confirm how loud it would be at the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from today's visit to Chipwizards. Have to say i was really impressed with Wayne, his knowledge and his set up..

To recap, the car is a 987.1 S. Engine was rebuilt by PARR around 55k from memory , ( now 92k ). Only mods to engine are de-snork, BMC filter, Topgear 200 cel stainless manifolds, Carnewal GT cat back, AWE tips. Otherwise stock.

As expected there wasn't much to gain but the starting point was pretty disappointing at 291bhp, ( vs 295bhp stock ). The main reason I swapped the manifolds was for noise but hoped they might have yielded a bit of extra power..However it transpired the vacuum pipes to the flaps in the left bank inlets were not properly connected. With these sorted it finished up at 298bhp. 

So 7 bhp gain which takes it to just 3bhp more than stock. What I don't know is where the power was before the headers and filter were fitted ..I think it would be fair to think power would be less than when new so perhaps the headers have raised power up to the 291 I was at..? 

What was more pleasing was that in the mid range power was 16bhp better than on arrival which is great to see as this is more usefull than peak power...

For the record I had previously fitted 82mm TB and IPD plenum but was underwhelmed and Wayne advised that he never sees them improve things so I removed them.

On the drive home the car did feel marginally punchier around the 5k mark so all good.

To sum up I'm glad I did and that it went to Wayne as his wealth of knowledge is clear and helped to quickly identify the lack of vacuum and therefore sort the issue. 7bhp top end at 16bhp at mid range seems like a good result for a few hours work and it's clear that a more expensive remote/plug-in remap would not have found the problem ..

That said it's clear also that extra power is hard to come by. 

Next stop GT3 master cylinder..

• Like 1