Anyone else started planning a return to track days?

jcm987

On 02/06/2020 at 16:36, jcm987 said:

My first time at Thruxton as well, but I have Brands Hatch this Thursday and Castle Combe the following Friday. So assuming the car survives, I might have to take it easy at Thruxton. 

My Dad used to race at Thruxton and had a big off, so I'm sure his advice will be take It easy and don't lift off mid corner. 

Where did he go off?

Was it the high speed corners around the back of the circuit - Goodwood, Village and Church?

Yeah definatley requires smooth actions around there at high speeds.

@Dougle_turbo Nice one, traffic at Brands Indy is always an issue. I just got back from my Brands track day today, it was busy, but a lot of fun. Most people were using their mirrors and social distancing, apart from a group on young Chinese kids in supercars, oh dear is all I can say... :(

11 hours ago, jcm987 said:

@Dougle_turbo Nice one, traffic at Brands Indy is always an issue. I just got back from my Brands track day today, it was busy, but a lot of fun. Most people were using their mirrors and social distancing, apart from a group on young Chinese kids in supercars, oh dear is all I can say... :(

Glad you had a good day, it was great being back in the seat. I was going to Whatsapp you to see how you got on.

How was the car with all the changes?

Getting back behind the wheel after a 6 month break was fun, I was very rusty though. Most of the day was spent checking all the winter mods, mainly the diff to see if everything was working. But had issues with suspension geo, brake pads and control arms. Not sure what happened at the garage, but for some reason they reduced my front camber by 1.5 degrees, so now we can't run the low front ride height anymore without rubbing. 

Managed to sneak into the 55s when traffic died down, but doing paddock in 4th and shifting at 6K. Hence the 114mph top speed. When I'm confident the geo/brakes are sorted I'll have to go full send and see what she can do!42E3CA0E-D8B1-429B-9A07-AD8D0812911E.jpeg.01ab3585d80bda3ec4890ae05e00777c.jpeg

Great stuff, looks like a 53 might be doable then - thats rapid! I always take Paddock in 4th - in 3rd I find the throttle response too aggresive and it unsettles the car. But I'm still wary of that corner since 'the incident'.

Got Bedford tomorrow, unfortunately it's going to be wet. Was looking forward to seeing what the times would be like in the dry.

Edited by Dougle_turbo

Think 53s might be asking too much of me and the car, but maybe one day. Of course I remember you 'incident' I'm not surprised you're a bit wary going through paddock. 

Good luck for tomorrow! Shame about the weather. But I find wet track days a lot of fun as often the track is empty. 

@jcm987 Just had an email from Motorsports Events saying there are some roadworks on Church corner, and they will be running a chicane there to avoid them.

Bit annoying, but maybe safer for me as I wont be able to lose it there!

@GlosRich Yes I just got the same email. That is a real pain as it's one of the fastest corners in the UK. They'll most likely use traffic cones really close together. Oh well, it's better than nothing. 

17 hours ago, jcm987 said:

@GlosRich Yes I just got the same email. That is a real pain as it's one of the fastest corners in the UK. They'll most likely use traffic cones really close together. Oh well, it's better than nothing. 

My thoughts also, better than nothing, and it was only £159.

Also want to get on track this year, it's why I bought the Cayman.

Booked Prescott hill climb drivers school for May, but that has been postponed until September, so Thruxton would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Good day at Thruxton on Monday, met  up with James and his Dad and their awesome Cayman.

The roadworks at Church spoiled it a bit, but if was a great first track day,  in my own car, for me.

I've got some in car footage of when James comes flying past me, I'll try and post a pic up.

Here it is, just coming up to Campbell the first corner.

James.jpg

Edited by GlosRich
Photo
  • Like 1

Nice picture Rich, agreed it was a good day. Always fun to meet up with another Cayman owner. 

Only downside was the nail in my rear tyre that caused a puncture. I was so lucky to catch it at the end of the day, not at 130mph on the back straight! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jcm987 said:

Nice picture Rich, agreed it was a good day. Always fun to meet up with another Cayman owner. 

Only downside was the nail in my rear tyre that caused a puncture. I was so lucky to catch it at the end of the day, not at 130mph on the back straight! 

Sorry to hear about the nail, I seem to have escaped fairly unscathed, a couple of chips and some scuffed tyres. Pressure were spot on when I checked them yesterday. Think I've used some oil also.

Good speed on the straight, I struggled to get up to 105mph or so.

I had a great morning at Goodwood today, they run a tight ship and despite keeping the numbers down in each group, I must have managed 6 or seven sessions from 9am - midday. Met some fascinating characters there too.

• Like 1