Pirellis cracking up...

DJMC

Just noticed my P Zero fronts have cracks in the tread grooves in addition to the shoulder cracking I'd spotted when buying the car. I took it to OPC Reading before purchase and they said "they all do that", as usual.

412226441.jpg 412226439.jpg

They have 4-5mm tread left, so I phoned Pirelli who said to get one of their dealers to send them back for inspection and a pro rata refund if they're faulty. OPCs are not Pirelli dealers, but my OPC will fit four Goodyears at a good price. As the Pirellis are original fit, and the car is under warranty, should I argue it out with Porsche, OR ask them to take the displaced tyres to a nearby Pirelli dealer, OR just go collect them (a further round trip in the A3) and take them to a dealer myself? 

I guess some of you with Pirellis will say "they don't look too bad" but in nearly 40 years of driving I have never seen this on any tyre before, so to me it looks a little iffy. The tyres were manufactured end of 2013.

Rears are OK crack-wise but almost worn out, and the only sensible option is to replace all four with Goodyear F1 A2 N0. My OPC have confirmed in writing that my warranty will be invalidated for "drivetrain/transmission" if I fit non N marked tyres, and Michelin PS4 N0 is not yet available in 20". Bridgestones are a N0 N0 as I can't stand them either. Goodyear F1 A2s were excellent all round on my previous TTS.

Any other suggestions how to deal with getting some cash back on the Pirellis? I'll be glad to get shot, but at 50% worn I don't see why I should fund the wastage even if they are the most crappy tyres on this Earth!

Edited by DJMC

Spoken to Pirelli again and they advised the OPC should complete a complaint form and send the tyres back to them via their wholesalers. OPC had said yesterday they'd just scrap them but I've spoken to someone different and he knew the process so they will deal with the two suspect tyres once removed tomorrow and replaced with the four Goodyears. The transition to GY F1 A2 from Toyos on my TTS was remarkable. I don't think it will be that marked from the Pirellis but I'll report back once they're on and I've given them a fair run.

Sorted... almost. 

Slight delay, as Pirelli came back to me and asked me to keep the tyres on the car until an engineer had come out to inspect them on the car.

The engineer then phoned to say he'd been passed the photos and agrees the tyres do need replacing, although not a safety issue.

He's now going to come out next week and recover them when the new ones are fitted. So a little delay on new tyres but a bit of cash back from the half worn Pirellis makes a little waiting palatable.

Pirelli will pay pro rata to the tyre wear which is about 50%. Not sure whether they use RRP or some other price to calculate the return.

If I'd wanted another pair of Pirellis I'm fairly sure they would just have handed me a pair of new ones. I explained I was fitting Goodyears this time and the engineer didn't argue, just said they'd send me a refund. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pirelli engineer has been. He measured the fronts at 6mm, so 2mm wear in 18,000 miles.

Pirellis will cover the cost of my two replacement Goodyear tyres, so £298 all in. Cheque should be with me in a couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

good result. Do you know if its a common problem with Pirellis as my brother-in-law has them on his 911 and hes not the type to check tread etc very often. I think I may have to pay him a visit this weekend ;)

That's a good result :)

Nice to see good customer service from a large company.

I've had loads of sets of P-Zero and never seen this. They worked really well on my 420bhp 135i. I'd need new rears about every 6k miles :$

When we found them on our new GTS, I wasn't concerned at all. Indeed, the new car feels amazing!

9k miles now, so rears need replacing soon! 

How do you find the Goodyear, now you've driven on them a little? I found them soft of construction and a little floppy feeling on the BMW. Great grip and traction though, just not direct feeling. 

Is that not the case on the Cayman too? 

I've found the "feel" has improved compared to the Pirellis but this may be somewhat down to them being new and not dodgy/cracked! (19k miles on them - 50% worn at the front, down to the markers rear).

Pirellis were worrying in the cold and when cold. Goodyears seem far grippier in all temperatures. I had the same 35 aspect ratio on the TTS with 19s and they were great. And after 10k miles they'd worn just 1-2mm. I'd expect to get at least 30k miles on the rear of the 981, more up front, based on this. We'll see!

9k on yours and they need changing! What are you doing... racing!? What size/aspect were the 135i Goodyears?

Once the new N marked PS4 is out in my sizes I'll switch to them at the next change if reviews in the interim appear favourable: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/What-is-happening-to-the-Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport.htm

Mmmm...I've never really tested their grip until quite warm (tyres) but would be interested to try some Goodyears on the 981 at some point too! 

On the 135i, I was on a front 225/40/18 and rear 255/35/18.

fronts lasted exactly twice as long as rears regardless of brand.

I used Miichelin PS3, Conti CS3, the P-Zero and some Goodyears over the 4 years I owned it. 

So two sets of rears and a single set of fronts, per year. 

The rears have lasted a good bit longer on the Cayman, I guess because of the comparative lack of torque and taller gearing.

The 135i developed over 420lb/ft from 2000-odd rpm, so was always un sticking its rear amusingly. It was a predictable though, so I never had a 'Code Brown' moment in 50k miles :)

I do like the the way the Cayman can fully deploy 1st gear though, so the taller cogs some complain of, do actually have some real benefit! 

They turn a formally useless gear, (in the BMW) into a usable one!

Re tyre wear rates.....

I do like to feel a car move a little and have been accused of making reasonable progress from time to time. I guess that's the difference between 10k a set of rears and a more frugal 20k+ that some achieve :$

I'll get some more P-Zero for the rear this time, but will also be looking keenly to see the N rated PS4 reviews and 981 owner experiences. Newt time, I'll be needing a set of four.

Loved the PS2 in its day, so really do have high hopes for the 4.

(Never had PSS, as they were more like 260, not 255, so caused arch contact) 

When I went to the PEC in December the instructor advised warming up the P Zeros before any antics, but he'd most likely have said the same for any tyre.

Not one of their 200+ Porsches have PSS on, contrary to common belief.

I do mostly motorway miles (sad in a Porsche, but a such nice place to be!) so this will help greatly with tyre wear.

On 01/04/2016 at 21:10, Red5 said:

How do you find the Goodyear, now you've driven on them a little? I found them soft of construction and a little floppy feeling on the BMW. Great grip and traction though, just not direct feeling. 

Is that not the case on the Cayman too? 

I've tried Goodyear too - bought a set of 18" wheels to fit winter tyres to and they came with barely scrubbed Goodyears.  So I tried them.  On balance no more impressed than the Pirellis - but how much is due to the change from 19 to 18" wheels and how much to the tyres is difficult to say.  They feel a lot "looser" than the Pirellis and lose the planted feels  Can be entertaining at lower speeds but less confidence inspiring at higher ones.  A bit better ride - but that might well be the wheel size more than the tyre.  I'm hoping my Pirellis will last until PS4 comes out.

The only other choice for 981 with 20s , whilst under warranty, is currently Bridgstones I think? Not nice!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been out in the Cayman R today. Noticed same cracks in the centre of the tyres (Good years) . Was your result through OPC or direct with the tyre manufacturer? I can see a phone call in my future. 

On 07/04/2016 at 23:24, StevieP said:

I have bridgstones on my Cayman, and when needing new think I'll stay with them as excellent grip 

I have Bridgestone Potenza on my Cayman. Ive never been a fan of Bridgestones but after today I may have to rethink that. An enthusiastic hoon round north yorkshire found them very grippy and predictable. I was intending to change to Michelin Pilot Sports soon, but Im not so sure now. Next test will be Croft on 3rd May.

• Like 1

On 17 April 2016 at 13:25, Red Square Images said:

I've been out in the Cayman R today. Noticed same cracks in the centre of the tyres (Good years) . Was your result through OPC or direct with the tyre manufacturer? I can see a phone call in my future. 

Direct with Pirelli. OPC said they would have passed the tyres to Pirelli had they changed them. I'm happy the engineer came out to me direct though. Cut out the middle man - OPC!

• 5 months later...

Noticed the same issue on my Cayman, front near side on 20" P-Zeros. Still original front tyres, although I bought the car through a leasing company so expect will get no help form OPC.

Anyone got a direct Pirelli contact?