Trunk Clunk Fix - 'How to Guide'!

5 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Ok, I see what you mean. Use the wide wedge to generate some downward force on the edge of the trim. At the same time, lever the upholstery tool in at the base of the clip against the painted metal of the hood itself (I've masked off the paint with tape to protect it).

So I'm basically levering the two tools in opposite directions to each other to double up on the downward for on the clip... if that makes sense...

Sounds like it should do the trick 👍🏻

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to replace the #2 rubber spring buffers on leading edge of the lid . I've got the replacements but can't figure out how to remove the insert that seems to screw into the lid. Looks like a special tool required 

IMG_20211126_124018.jpg

• 2 months later...

I just bought a 2008 Cayman and it didn't take me long before I was searching the web for the source of that clunking sound! Very happy to have found this thread. I'm ordering the trim tools, but have a question about the vibration damper weight: if you are adding the foam do you really need to replace it (even if it has torn rubber)? I was thinking that the foam alone would fix the clunking, without having to replace the weight?

Hi flying fish. 

Glad you found us 👍🏻

i guess you’ll be best able to decide for yourself once you’ve removed the trim and can inspect the damper weight. If it isn’t torn / split then don’t replace it. 

you could try just fitting the foam and see if that works first. 

good luck with the doing the job, let us know how it goes. 

Jason

• 6 months later...
On 27/07/2020 at 16:02, Windymiller said:

I've created a step-by-step guide complete with pictures for removing of the trunk / boot lid trim so you can access the vibration damping weight to sort out the dreaded 'trunk-clunk'.

See attached .pdf file. 

Hope anyone who needs it finds it useful and helpful.

Windy

PORSCHE Cayman 987 Trunk Clunk Fix - How to Guide.pdf 884.33 kB · 238 downloads

Hi,

Is this guide still available? I don't seem to be able to download it anymore.

49 minutes ago, Graham said:

Hi,

Is this guide still available? I don't seem to be able to download it anymore.

Hi Graham,

it seems to be as I just clicked on it on page 1 of this thread and it opened up straight away for me. 👍🏻

Good luck sorting your trunk-clunk out. 

Windy

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Instructions look comprehensive, but seem to omit some important aspects.

The images show the U-shaped trim around the window remaining in situ. But there's no mention of whether it has to come out first or not. When I went through the process, that part of the trim was coming away with the main lower cover. I think there's a white plastic pin that attaches the U-shaped window surround with the large lower piece, viewable below:

IMG_0603Large.jpeg.87c6ad2a3c79fea664e3f1d511881fae.jpeg

It was also unclear whether it's OK to push trim tools through to release the two clips nearest the brake light, what with the wiring etc for the brake light. I got all the other clips released except those.

Anyway, I stopped and clipped everything back up, I didn't want to end up breaking anything and end up with more noise than I started with, which i think is a significant risk. If you're not fairly practiced in removing car trim, I'd probably advise paying someone for this job. I am sure it's a fairly quick job for an experienced indy and so not expensive and thus alls into the category one where you're probably better off paying someone.

Nope, no steps missing.  You don’t need to remove anything other than what the guide includes - I certainly didn’t remove the trim around the window itself. 

However it’s an amateur guide, not an OE maintenance manual - therefore you should only do what you feel competent / comfortable doing yourself. 

Edited by Windymiller

There are definitely steps missing. As you can see from the image I posted, the trim around around the window is attached to the main boot trim and comes away with it as you pull the main trim down. The picture shows where the two pieces connect and as you can clearly see the are attached and both pieces are moving away from the tailgate together. I think the white plastic pin is holding them together, but not sure.

There's no step to indicate how to detach the two pieces of trim and prevent the window trim from being pulled down with the main trim.

4 hours ago, MartinF6 said:

There are definitely steps missing. As you can see from the image I posted, the trim around around the window is attached to the main boot trim and comes away with it as you pull the main trim down. The picture shows where the two pieces connect and as you can clearly see the are attached and both pieces are moving away from the tailgate together. I think the white plastic pin is holding them together, but not sure.

There's no step to indicate how to detach the two pieces of trim and prevent the window trim from being pulled down with the main trim.

Nope, there definitely aren’t steps missing. I know because I did the job to completion and took photos as I went and authored the guide. 

You can see in the guide, on the page with step 5, if you look at the image of the inner boot lid with the trim removed and all the red sticky tape segments attached adjacent to the holes that the ‘U’ trip around the window is not removed. There was no need to remove it. Similarly, I had no need to touch the high-level brake light in the window. 

You may wish to remove more trim as you feel necessary, but to do the trunk-clunk fix only (assuming your clunk is being caused by the same issue that I had) then this guide is a complete how to. 

And no, I can’t tell you how many ft-lbs of downward force to apply to the trim tools to get the clips to release - my best suggestion is ‘2-white knuckles worth’…. 

I had no problem getting the clips to release, as I already said. The problem is that the trim around the window was coming away with the main trim piece, again as clearly visible in the picture I posted.

It's not about "needing" to remove those bits of trim, simply they were attached to the main trim piece and they were being pulled off whether I liked it or not. So without a step describing how to detach them / prevent them being pulled off I didn't want to break anything by just tearing it off.

To clarify, in the image below, the piece with the red 'x' is the main trim piece and the part with the blue 'x' is part of the window trim and is coming away with the main trim.

IMG_0603.jpg.1009abe68d5a39173f5b840290dc0f13.jpg

• 6 months later...

Thanks Windy for the comprehensive guide. In which ATA100 chapter will I find this maintenance reference 😉?

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2024 at 08:14, Stixy said:

Thanks Windy for the comprehensive guide. In which ATA100 chapter will I find this maintenance reference 😉?

I made it tri-service accessible by publishing in JSP100… 😉😆👍🏻