Swanny71’s Cayman R

swanny71

Thanks gents.

Sun came out this afternoon for the first time since I’ve had it home. Play time I thought?

Battery had other idea’s - it’s dead 😩

Back on the Ctek, will try again tomorrow.

Car passed OPC health check on a Monday during major service, battery checked OK! Previous owner is being a real gent and offered to go 50:50 on cost if new one needed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, swanny71 said:

Thanks gents.

Sun came out this afternoon for the first time since I’ve had it home. Play time I thought?

Battery had other idea’s - it’s dead 😩

Back on the Ctek, will try again tomorrow.

Car passed OPC health check on a Monday during major service, battery checked OK! Previous owner is being a real gent and offered to go 50:50 on cost if new one needed.

Sorry to hear about battery bad luck probably the original .

Nice the previous owner is helping out Euro car parts do Bosch at reasonable prices.

Hope you get it sorted.

Edited by Cliff R

Tweaks and improvements to make it truly my car have started.

Silver wheels were followed by some work on the buckets.

Test fit for some DIY lumber support started today. This is to fix a long standing (sitting?) problem with my back, rather than any inherent issue with the buckets. I’ve done this on many of my cars with comfortable results.

It’s basically an inflatable door lifter slightly modified with a longer length of hose. The bucket seats make for easy installation because of all the loop Velcro in the back and base.

Blue tape is just to hold it in place during test sits, will use Velcro on rear of the bladder when I find the right spot. Inflate/deflate as required. Easily removable if OPC ever gets snotty over the ‘modification’.

A27A6481-D509-44F2-B1A2-A7B778467512.jpeg.e4ee90de7bd51de7d62c149e9b6fda41.jpeg717AFA9E-A547-4A15-B99E-2CA99B3C34E7.png.a7b44688b3ee966e5e3def6671f1cead.png

Edited by swanny71

Also acquired some bolster protectors. Stupidly expensive to buy from the U.S. but I got lucky with a 2nd hand pair.

Great quality, easy to fit and a good match for OEM leather. 

72C57FFD-7DA9-4AD6-A90B-2F7336F5F85D.png

Edited by swanny71
  • Like 1

So, it turns out my car isn’t GT Silver but Platinum..... some OPC‘S can’t read a spec sheet!

I checked because I’ve ordered some paint ready to repair the myriad screw holes in the front bumper. Why on earth dealers/owners do this I don’t know when there’s a plate plinth fitted as well?

All prep for a stick-on vinyl plate (legal) that’s going on.

1FA6CB7E-387B-44FB-9B64-472FDB1E5234.jpeg

3909870E-D3A3-4FBD-A31D-B0AD3AB2A965.jpeg

AB1FDE95-934A-4C03-9C02-88685D2D6E25.jpeg

Edited by swanny71

Yeah, the number plate plinth was neatly installed and if the correct length screws had been used on the various plates then damage to bumper could have been avoided.

Instead they’ve screwed all the way through the number plate, plinth and bumper 🤬

Repairs are progressing OK though, just waiting for paint to arrive - won’t be a perfect job, just enough to seal/protect and not be noticeable underneath a legally sized stick on plate.

I had the same issue with my bumper, but only one screw went through the plinth and into the bumper. Sorted it when I had the front end resprayed. 

I was going to fit a vinyl plate on mine too, but then found out that (technically) vinyl plates aren't legal because they don't conform to the relevant BSI standard, which includes something about minimum rigidity of the plate, and of course consequently they also can't show the BSI number on the plate. 

Realistically it's unlikely anyone would get pulled for a vinyl plate as long as the characters and spacing are legal and it's properly reflective, but a jobsworth MOT tester could fail the car for it, even though MOT stations aren't required to check BSI compliance. 

In the end I went with a set of plates from FourDot, which are made to be exact legal size based on the characters on the plate, which in my case, makes for a nice small plate, which is also handy given that the Rennline tow hook doesn't fit with a full size plate in place 🙂 

Great looking car by the way, and looks way better with silver wheels 😎

Edited by Draven
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got the bumper sorted (DIY), it’s not perfect but not visible through the vinyl plate. The plate is from an approved source, the correct size/shape, font size/spacing, reflective and has the suppliers markings etc. so fully road legal.

Reflections from the silver gauge surrounds annoyed me from the first time I drove one. Probably a controversial solution but I fixed that today.

Also had replacement battery and cruise control fitted at local OPC this week, 

E04E0E49-4217-4655-A576-18CDAE4D62C0.jpeg

1546C896-9C1E-4732-82C2-B7DACF52EB5B.jpeg

Edited by swanny71

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the exhaust clamps on the T piece/tail pipes today. Should be a simple job but was a bit of a pig.
Seems Porsche did everything in their power to make it awkward - crap quality fixings, spot welds, difficult access and zero clearance to back of diff.

New Mikalor W4 clamps on now and should last my ownership.

Manifold to back box triangular flanges still need doing, really not looking forward to them.....

Some bits for an interior change are arriving next week, might not be to everyone’s liking but I can’t wait to do it 😊 

Edited by swanny71

Garry at ClassicFX did the covers, simple DIY to fit them.

http://classicfx.net/porsche-seat-covers/

The seat base covers need a little tweak, I’ll post more pics once they are back and I’ve fitted them properly.

Edited by swanny71