PCM 3 bluetooth query

Julian987

1 hour ago, 24057 said:

Great! I still need a genuine Apple 30pin / lightening adapter, it refuses to work unless it’s genuine apparently.

also… I wonder how much the new OEM head unit will be , judging by 996 prices I’m not expecting much change out of £1800😬😬

Yep I know from other purposes that if it is not the genuine apple one then it can fail.

I reckon it will be £1500

The 996 one is £1300

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/99664259000-p602221-communication-management-plus-P602221?

so it'll probably be a bit more? say £1500? + installation £300/500 , so yep all in £1800/2000 ! nuts huh.

I still can't work out how they will manage it across the Gen 1 and Gen 2, silver fascia, black and are the sizes the same across the Gen 1 and 2, plus in Gen 2 there was the CDR-30 version. They'll probably work it out, but my hunch is they won't support Gen 2, just bring the Gen 1 up to date. Anyone here know if the sizes are the same across gen 1 and 2 and PCM, CDR-30 and the Gen 1 silver versions? I don't reckon they are.

3 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Yep I know from other purposes that if it is not the genuine apple one then it can fail.

I reckon it will be £1500

The 996 one is £1300

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/99664259000-p602221-communication-management-plus-P602221?

so it'll probably be a bit more? say £1500? + installation £300/500 , so yep all in £1800/2000 ! nuts huh.

I still can't work out how they will manage it across the Gen 1 and Gen 2, silver fascia, black and are the sizes the same across the Gen 1 and 2, plus in Gen 2 there was the CDR-30 version. They'll probably work it out, but my hunch is they won't support Gen 2, just bring the Gen 1 up to date. Anyone here know if the sizes are the same across gen 1 and 2 and PCM, CDR-30 and the Gen 1 silver versions? I don't reckon they are.

Crikey I have no idea. I really hope they offer a solution to .1 and .2 cars for both 997 and 987, it’ll be a shame if they only support .1 versions. 

11 minutes ago, 24057 said:

Crikey I have no idea. I really hope they offer a solution to .1 and .2 cars for both 997 and 987, it’ll be a shame if they only support .1 versions. 

What ever they do for the 997 will work for the 987, economies of scale would make that logical, even more if they find a one size fits all across Gen 1 and 2's. 

I guess before all this happens, they'll need to be certifying the 997 and 987 as 'classics', which is on the cards I believe. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Martin Hamilton said:

Hmmm being able to play the music services from your phone on the PCM3.0

there’s a thing for that 😂

CarPlay fo PCM3.0

Many poor reports on it, buggy as hell. 

Considering:

the price of the aftermarket kit

+ fitting (though you could fit it yourself yet looks very complex)

you are in for a grand.

vs

its only 6/8 months before Porsche release a classic car PCM update for the PcM3/987/997, like last years 996 one. 

and for what I suspect will be £300 - £500 more, I'd rather have the real deal and most importantly an HD res screen.

• Like 1

Brilliant

1. that is my video of my PCM3.0

2. I fitted it myself - the instructions are very clear and methodical 

3. it’s buttery smooth

4. cost £500 - so a lot less than other options (Porsche will be more than double or treble that + more for fitting)

5. Vendor support is excellent 

6. I’m driving a car why do I need HD? I was pleasantly surprised at how good the quality of a 10 year old device was - actually removed a HD Sony head unit to go back to this 

7. wired and wireless CarPlay is flawless, recent firmware update has resolved all the minor niggles I had 

8. from my testing, even the modern Porsche stuff has bugs and issues with CarPlay and connectivity 

9. nothing like keeping the stock look 

10. It has an EQ which was a bonus - it make the audio via my ASK amp so much better 

possibly my favourite upgrade to my 987.2 Black Edition 

Don’t knock something until you actually see it and try it yourself 

Edited by Martin Hamilton

9 minutes ago, Martin Hamilton said:

Brilliant

1. that is my video of my PCM3.0

2. I fitted it myself - the instructions are very clear and methodical 

3. it’s buttery smooth

4. cost £500 - so a lot less than other options (Porsche will be more than double or treble that + more for fitting)

5. Vendor support is excellent 

6. I’m driving a car why do I need HD? I was pleasantly surprised at how good the quality of a 10 year old device was - actually removed a HD Sony head unit to go back to this 

7. wired and wireless CarPlay is flawless, recent firmware update has resolved all the minor niggles I had 

8. from my testing, even the modern Porsche stuff has bugs and issues with CarPlay and connectivity 

9. nothing like keeping the stock look 

10. It has an EQ which was a bonus - it make the audio via my ASK amp so much better 

possibly my favourite upgrade to my 987.2 Black Edition 

Don’t knock something until you actually see it and try it yourself 

That is good its worked out for you. I did meet up with a 997 owner who did it, and i tried it and wasn't impressed, so I am knocking something I tried.... but hey we cant all like the same thing! would be boring otherwise. Happy for you that your install has worked out. Best regards

• 6 months later...
On 14/06/2021 at 15:41, 24057 said:

Great! I still need a genuine Apple 30pin / lightening adapter, it refuses to work unless it’s genuine apparently.

also… I wonder how much the new OEM head unit will be , judging by 996 prices I’m not expecting much change out of £1800😬😬

Hi Julian, I've read a couple of times through this thread. Congrats. You had one hell of a long journey to get there and I'm afraid I will have the same, which I'd love to avoid - but I  think what you did is what I want to do, as the cheapest route. 

Could i possibly ask you to confirm what bits you bought, in the end, to get success? I'm pretty sure my starting point is exactly the same as yours, same car, same console, same non-working of bluetooth connection between phone and car for music.

Eddie

12 hours ago, Eddie1996 said:

Hi Julian, I've read a couple of times through this thread. Congrats. You had one hell of a long journey to get there and I'm afraid I will have the same, which I'd love to avoid - but I  think what you did is what I want to do, as the cheapest route. 

Could i possibly ask you to confirm what bits you bought, in the end, to get success? I'm pretty sure my starting point is exactly the same as yours, same car, same console, same non-working of bluetooth connection between phone and car for music.

Eddie

hi Eddie.

yep i got there in the end 😀

I went for this y cable

https://www.design911.com/Multimedia-Connecting-Cable-for-Porsche/prod21580/

what threw me is that it doesn't mention pcm 3, but it is indeed compatible for pcm 3 and that set of plugs we have in the arm rest.

I got it from a Porsche main dealer (worked out a bit cheaper actually and they confirmed it was what I need).

i then got this ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bovee-Wireless-Bluetooth-Interface-Integration/dp/B00B52LLJ6https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bovee-Wireless-Bluetooth-Interface-Integration/dp/B00B52LLJ6

... and followed what was going on in this video ...

...and hey presto it works great!

It was the first time I put my speakers to the test in my R and I was amazed how great they sound and I don't even have Bose. 

Let me know how you get on!

Best regards

julian

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Julian987 said:

hi Eddie.

yep i got there in the end 😀

I went for this y cable

https://www.design911.com/Multimedia-Connecting-Cable-for-Porsche/prod21580/

what threw me is that it doesn't mention pcm 3, but it is indeed compatible for pcm 3 and that set of plugs we have in the arm rest.

I got it from a Porsche main dealer (worked out a bit cheaper actually and they confirmed it was what I need).

i then got this ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bovee-Wireless-Bluetooth-Interface-Integration/dp/B00B52LLJ6https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bovee-Wireless-Bluetooth-Interface-Integration/dp/B00B52LLJ6

... and followed what was going on in this video ...

...and hey presto it works great!

It was the first time I put my speakers to the test in my R and I was amazed how great they sound and I don't even have Bose. 

Let me know how you get on!

Best regards

julian

That's brilliant. Thanks a million. I will proceed with confidence and revert when it's all up and running.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie1996 said:

Got the Bovee (£99) and the y-cable (£38) and they're working pretty good, just in time for a long drive up to Norfolk this weekend 🙂

Ace! glad it worked out. Though when you say 'pretty good'  - so not great then? are you experiencing unexpected behaviour? 

21 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

Ace! glad it worked out. Though when you say 'pretty good'  - so not great then? are you experiencing unexpected behaviour? 

ha ha, yes, there's a background whine which alters in pitch with the engine - not so bad as to spoil the music but it's there, but I haven't fiddled around with things yet to try and eliminate. Do you get this?

4 hours ago, Eddie1996 said:

ha ha, yes, there's a background whine which alters in pitch with the engine - not so bad as to spoil the music but it's there, but I haven't fiddled around with things yet to try and eliminate. Do you get this?

That I did not get, nor have, at all. 

Any other devices using Bluetooth frequencies nearby? from the house if on the drive or garage?

https://thegadgetbuyer.com/why-is-my-bluetooth-speaker-making-a-static-noise/

maybe try disconnecting from the BlueTooth and reconnect. Are you using an iPhone or Android?

any other apps running simultaneously using bluetooth? 

14 hours ago, Julian987 said:

That I did not get, nor have, at all. 

Any other devices using Bluetooth frequencies nearby? from the house if on the drive or garage?

https://thegadgetbuyer.com/why-is-my-bluetooth-speaker-making-a-static-noise/

maybe try disconnecting from the BlueTooth and reconnect. Are you using an iPhone or Android?

any other apps running simultaneously using bluetooth? 

Sorted. There was a cable plugged into the AUX socket and unplugging that miraculously removed the engine feedback.

Where the cable leads I've no clue - I've had the car a year and know of no extra instrumentation in the car. I must investigate further.

11 hours ago, Eddie1996 said:

Sorted. There was a cable plugged into the AUX socket and unplugging that miraculously removed the engine feedback.

Where the cable leads I've no clue - I've had the car a year and know of no extra instrumentation in the car. I must investigate further.

😀 great! you are all set then. It is a good solution isn't it. I am very content with it until an official PCCM+ retro unit is released. 

17 hours ago, Julian987 said:

😀 great! you are all set then. It is a good solution isn't it. I am very content with it until an official PCCM+ retro unit is released. 

Yup, totally solves the problem.