Cayman R Chat

I run a pdk but have never had a brake issue, they have a longish pedal, some upgrade to a GT3 brake master cylinder with a bigger internal bore and quicker initial bite if that's your thing !

Edited by Ian Jones

R's are underbraked for track work. 

I run Girodiscs, pagid front pads and GT3 cooling ducts. Since doing this I've had no problems. GT3 Master cylinder is tempted to improve the pedal response...... maybe in the spring. 

@Prestonese I wanted a PCCB car but none were available when I bought mine :(  I've done a few trackdays in GT3s & GT4s with PCCB and they are immense. I've also done a fair amount of work on Aston Martins with Carbon brakes, they are immense on track. 

Edited by Sam@IoM

• Founder
On 29/11/2019 at 19:45, Windymiller said:

That seems like a very reasonable price for your old

one Nick if it’s still got the Ohlins suspension and Carnewal exhaust fitted 🤔

I never fitted Ohlins, running the standard R suspension.  Spacers and other bits were also removed, so it's just the Carnewal on that car.  I still have the original factory exhaust for it, so if somebody does buy it and wants it.  

Its interesting to see where prices of these are, I sold 2 years ago for a lot more than the current asking price and it's barely done any miles since.  I'd buy it back in a heartbeat if I was in a position to do so, the Lotus was a mistake...  

• Sad 1

• Founder
On 29/11/2019 at 23:12, Prestonese said:

By the way, has anyone on here owned one with PCCBs? Any interesting views to share?

I've also read elsewhere the R is a touch underbraked? Rarely hear that about a modern Porsche.

I only know of one owner that had PCCBs on an R, they are as rare as hens teeth!  

Anyone on here with a Black Cayman R? Spotted one at Tesco in Mold N. Wales the other day. Looked like a cherished "N" reg plate but it passed before I could clock it properly. Don't see many around here !

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

I only know of one owner that had PCCBs on an R, they are as rare as hens teeth!  

I don't think they were popular back in the days. Even when I had a GTS with them, people were quite surprised. There were only about 15-20 981 GTS with PCCBs from what I heard. I think the costs and potential maintenance just put people off. Would you need them for an R though?

• Founder
24 minutes ago, Prestonese said:

I don't think they were popular back in the days. Even when I had a GTS with them, people were quite surprised. There were only about 15-20 981 GTS with PCCBs from what I heard. I think the costs and potential maintenance just put people off. Would you need them for an R though?

No, I don't think you need them at all.   I know a lot of guys swap out their PCCBs on their GT3s for Alcon steel discs.  

Upgrade the pads, master cylinder and the brake fluid and you'll be fine for most track outings.  Personally, I never had a problem with the standard brakes in any given scenario, but i'm not particularly heavy on the brakes.  

2 hours ago, Beanoir said:

I never fitted Ohlins, running the standard R suspension.  Spacers and other bits were also removed, so it's just the Carnewal on that car.  I still have the original factory exhaust for it, so if somebody does buy it and wants it.  

Its interesting to see where prices of these are, I sold 2 years ago for a lot more than the current asking price and it's barely done any miles since.  I'd buy it back in a heartbeat if I was in a position to do so, the Lotus was a mistake...  

What do you not like about the Lotus, if you don't mind me asking?!

3 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Oh, I thought you’d put the ohlins road and track susp’ on yours?

aye lots of prices of the ‘keepers’ seem to have depressed a little lately - several 981GTS with <30k miles going for <£50k now too 🤔

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Yeh, spill the beans Nick - just trade the lotus in for another Cayman (R / GTS / GT4), you know it’s where your aching heart still remains and longs to be.... 😍😉👍🏻

45 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

Yeh, spill the beans Nick - just trade the lotus in for another Cayman (R / GTS / GT4), you know it’s where your aching heart still remains and longs to be.... 😍😉👍🏻

This! I recently drove a well sorted S1 that I used to own and I wouldn't swap my R for it. 

• Like 1

• Founder
15 hours ago, Ben said:

Its a great car for a fun Sunday morning blast or a track day, great steering feel and really very switched on.  They're quick too, it's as quick as the CR and handles incredibly well out of the box.  However, spend 4 hours+ in the car and it starts to wear you down, the road and wind noise are very intrusive too.  It's not weatherproof either, which is a chore!  

Its not that it's a bad car, it's more about it not fitting my needs to be fair.  I like doing long distance foreign road trips and I wouldn't be wanting to drive the Elise down to the Alps for a week thats for sure, i'd be a broken man!  

If I had the space (garage) and funds for 3 cars then i'd consider it as a weekend blast/track car, but that's all it'd be. 

The Cayman R was a good middle ground, comfortable enough to do the long distance, but set-up good enough as a weekend and track car with just a few tweaks. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I think I have found an R which ticks all the boxes. Manual, buckets, PSE, Xenons and climate. 

The market is very soft at the moment and the listed cars in the classifieds seem to be hanging around a lot longer than expected. The white one at Ashgood (not the one I'm looking at) is ideal spec but seems to be sticking. There is also one at Swindon which looks nice and has a 2 year warranty.

There must be some good haggling to be done out there. 

• 3 months later...
On 06/04/2020 at 23:28, Ian Jones said:

What width wheel spacers if any are people running and camber angles front and rear?

Not sure I have the answer to your question but the previous owner of my CR ran spacers at the front, told me I had the log bolts to go with them and I bought some Eibach ones. Tried them for maybe 50 miles and went off the idea preferring the originality without. Therefore I have a pair of Eibach spacers gathering dust. Numbers on spacers state 91207001 184088 and on the box states Pro-spacer 114,3/130/5 - 75,5 - 167,5 S90-2-07-001. I believe this makes them 7mm spacers. I understand the previous owner had the car set up to -1.2 front camber and 'less toe-in'. Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^^ I know that @swanny71 has now sorted a great R.

Now I'm the one looking for a manual R as currently have a lovely 987.1S and looking to move upwards

So please get in touch if you are thinking of selling: andy.irwin@irwinacoustics.com

I am NI based but looking at options available throughout the UK.

Edited by Andyoz

Hi All

Looks like this will be my only place to post from now on, following a spat with CMoose on PH, I have been banned from all of PH and the CMoose is still starting arguments in the R thread. He must be a mod, 

Unbelievable.

Anyhoo, most of you are in here anyway.

I was about to try and organise a Cayman R South east meet up to see how many R's we could get together?

Anybody got any ideas of somewhere we could all meet up?

I thought maybe,

The Piston Works detailing emporium - Good parking, seems appropriate and we can all say hello to Nick and buy some products.

From there we could all go for a drive out, grab some photos and something to eat?

What do people think? imagine 10 or more R's in a photo, be brilliant.

Of course if people have other ideas about where to meet up feel free to make suggestions, as long as it doesn't include machine or caffeine in the title.

Too far north.

• Like 1