Cayman R Chat

• Founder
27 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

Naive question, but why is an N reg plate cherished? Just curious as was thinking of getting a cheap'ish registration. 

A 'cherished' plate is any plate you like basically, if you cherish it that is what makes it 'cherished' 

10 hours ago, Julian987 said:

My VIN details that my R was built at Stuttgart Zuffenhausen. Am I right to believe that some were from the Finland plant, and having it built at Stuttgart HQ is an anorak bonus! :)

Mines from Stuttgart not sure if Rs were built in Finland but have heard of some Boxsters Caymans built in Finland.

On 14/08/2020 at 18:56, swanny71 said:

After a very quick wash, I love GT Silver.

7C433C39-B6E7-4F78-A6FC-6AFA66C43BC2.jpeg

How's your first few days been with the R? Do you have any interior pics please. Would love to see. 

15 hours ago, Julian987 said:

A 'cherished' plate is any plate you like basically, if you cherish it that is what makes it 'cherished' 

I always assumed a cherished plate was one where you couldn’t tell the age of the car from the plate.  Hence a N reg isn’t going to be the correct age of a Cayman.  I have a cheap ‘cherished’ plate on my Cayman which is R## CAY. Not sure why I’m hiding the numbers but there not relevant anyway!

1 minute ago, Caymanr said:

I always assumed a cherished plate was one where you couldn’t tell the age of the car from the plate.  Hence a N reg isn’t going to be the correct age of a Cayman.  I have a cheap ‘cherished’ plate on my Cayman which is R## CAY. Not sure why I’m hiding the numbers but there not relevant anyway!

They are usually referred to as "Dateless" plates

3 hours ago, Julian987 said:

How's your first few days been with the R? Do you have any interior pics please. Would love to see. 

Excellent (the car, the driving) but frustrating (the weather, the battery issue).

I’ll be updating my “members car” thread with thoughts etc. soon.

30 minutes ago, swanny71 said:

Excellent (the car, the driving) but frustrating (the weather, the battery issue).

I’ll be updating my “members car” thread with thoughts etc. soon.

I think you really scored, as from what I remember of the spec, it seems better than the one that other silver manual which sold within a day for circa 45K. The new wheels look great on it. I've stuck with black against my black, for a stealthy look, and gives me an option to refresh it to silver later in ownership. Works well on your car. 

3 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Good Manuals certainly are flying at the moment.

yep, to the point where I think one could easily add £5k - £8k just for the scarcity of them. The one that lasted a day before (presumably now) sold, wasn’t that great of a spec, bar the manual and it no doubt having official warranty.

£45k, no buckets, no Chrono, no leather dash, no extended leather, (think it had PSE), circa 30k miles (an average benchmark) but with the holy moly manual, that is quiet something. 

Edited by Julian987

10 hours ago, Julian987 said:

yep, to the point where I think one could easily add £5k - £8k just for the scarcity of them.

Hi, they certainly sell quicker and don’t come to the market as often but they are not rarer.  The number of manuals and PDKs out there in the UK is about the same.  A good PDK also won’t stick around long if a buyer is being picky wanting everything to include low owners and low mileage.

Hi all - looking for some advice on 2 R's located in Dick Lovett's Bristol and  Swindon - does anoyne know these 2 re: history and provenance

Recently drove an R with buckets, PDK and she felt so planted plus the ride was just right not too firm and  am know in the market for one - thanks for reading

11 hours ago, Julian987 said:

yep, to the point where I think one could easily add £5k - £8k just for the scarcity of them. The one that lasted a day before (presumably now) sold, wasn’t that great of a spec, bar the manual and it no doubt having official warranty.

£45k, no buckets, no Chrono, no leather dash, no extended leather, (think it had PSE), circa 30k miles (an average benchmark) but with the holy moly manual, that is quiet something. 

I think the market has just realised how good the CR really is and with limited supply of decent Rs we know what that wll mean.

I have had mine over 7years and there is not much I could replace it with unless I put 30/40k

Possibly for small gains over the R.

6 minutes ago, Crooky said:

Hi all - looking for some advice on 2 R's located in Dick Lovett's Bristol and  Swindon - does anoyne know these 2 re: history and provenance

Recently drove an R with buckets, PDK and she felt so planted plus the ride was just right not too firm and  am know in the market for one - thanks for reading

Sorry can't help with the two you mentioned. I am sure coming from Dick Lovett

They have a good history.

All the best with your search.

14 minutes ago, Crooky said:

No idea on the provenance or history. Wouldn't the OPD's be able to detail that? As PDK's go, the black one is very nice but is it that more nice than the AutoStore one for circa 7K less? maybe? maybe not?

Hi. Trust all is well. On my R it comes with the option of VEHICLE TRACKING SYSTEM PREPARATION. 

Unsure if that is a custom option or standard. Either way, I just wanted to ask if anyone had good or bad experience of the Porsche Official Tracking system. It seems good value for the peace of mind. Any side effects, drains battery too much or? anything bad about it, as it all seems good. If all good, then all great! :)