Cayman R Chat

On 20/08/2020 at 22:10, Budflicker said:

No issue at all Julian,  it will be fine.

On 21/08/2020 at 07:46, Cliff R said:

None at all as been said can be left longer if a battery conditioner is put on keeping the battery in tip top order.

Thank you both. 

What I discovered today, being a newbie, and assume this is the norm, if the car hasn't been unlocked for X days (maybe 5?) then one has to unlock it with the key, and I assume quickly start the car within Y secs. As this morning that is what happened to me. Is X = 5 days and 7= 10 seconds?

My R is approaching 30K miles. Whilst I had a 111 recently done and its got a fresh MOT from end of July, am I right to assume there is a 30K service needed. I ask as some websites don't list the 30K one and some do. 

• Founder
6 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

My R is approaching 30K miles. Whilst I had a 111 recently done and its got a fresh MOT from end of July, am I right to assume there is a 30K service needed. I ask as some websites don't list the 30K one and some do. 

The service intervals are every 20k, then depending on which multiple of that depends on how much is included in the recommend service items.  Then factor in the age related requirements for things like brake fluid.  

This thread covers most of it, the Cayman R is no different to any other 987 in the service intervals.  

4 hours ago, Beanoir said:

The service intervals are every 20k, then depending on which multiple of that depends on how much is included in the recommend service items.  Then factor in the age related requirements for things like brake fluid.  

This thread covers most of it, the Cayman R is no different to any other 987 in the service intervals.  

Oh thank you! I did notice on the display it said in 24days a service is needed, and it is coincidentally about 24 miles away from 30K, so earlier I misread it. That said, good to know on the schedule. I guess in this case though, is it time dependent and time for a service then. Which is fair enough. What the display says is gospel right? Sorry to ask, I still a newbie R owner of approx a month.

Thanks

Julian

16 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Thank you both. 

What I discovered today, being a newbie, and assume this is the norm, if the car hasn't been unlocked for X days (maybe 5?) then one has to unlock it with the key, and I assume quickly start the car within Y secs. As this morning that is what happened to me. Is X = 5 days and 7= 10 seconds?

After a few days the car goes into sleep mode i.e one has to use the key to unlock the car you need to get the key in the ignition a bit sharpish otherwise it sets the alarm off.

All normal.

2 hours ago, Cliff R said:

After a few days the car goes into sleep mode i.e one has to use the key to unlock the car you need to get the key in the ignition a bit sharpish otherwise it sets the alarm off.

All normal.

2 hours ago, Ian Jones said:

Lift the door handle twice to wake sleep mode

Thank you both!

14 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Oh thank you! I did notice on the display it said in 24days a service is needed, and it is coincidentally about 24 miles away from 30K, so earlier I misread it. That said, good to know on the schedule. I guess in this case though, is it time dependent and time for a service then. Which is fair enough. What the display says is gospel right? Sorry to ask, I still a newbie R owner of approx a month.

Thanks

Julian

Yep it will be time - service intervals are every 20k miles or every 2-years, whichever comes first. Next year mine will go in for its 5th scheduled service, but the car has only done 13k miles 😂

9 hours ago, Ian Jones said:

Lift the door handle twice to wake sleep mode

Oh thats good. So do that, then give it a second or two then the keyfob opening method will work yep?

7 hours ago, Draven said:

Yep it will be time - service intervals are every 20k miles or every 2-years, whichever comes first. Next year mine will go in for its 5th scheduled service, but the car has only done 13k miles 😂

Ah I see. Ok good to know, so of the 2 year checks, I think just these might throw up issues not discovered in the Official Porsche 111 and MOT...as the 111 covers alot of the list...just leaves these ones

– Diagnosis system: Read fault memory; reset maintenance interval
– Change engine oil and oil filter (Every 10,000 miles/15,000 km)
– Pollen filter: Replace filter element

– Change brake fluid

Maybe these two too (unsure if the 111 looked at these)

- Check firewall and cabrio section body drains for debris

– Steering gear: Visual inspection of the dust boots for damage

though the latter I think they did

And they did the Road Test Check (and all things related to that).

Hopefully then it should be fine.

I found Porsche disconcerting as they pointed out loads of things that were only issues if I wanted a Porsche Warranty (like replacing the exhaust back to original and that kind of fear mongering). 

I'll try AutoFarm or RPM I think for this service., or in light of the 111 I had, do you think it wise I take it to Porsche as then I can cross reference against their 111.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Julian

May I ask what the process is for getting a tracker fitted. I have the option installed for Vehicle Tracking Preparation and then I called Porsche and I told them that, yet they quoted me over £1000. I thought if I have that option already fitted it just needs enabling with a Subscription service yep?

Am i correct to believe one signs up with Vodafone and then gives a code to Porsche? But then what package am I supposed to sign up to with Vodafone. Porsche have not been very clear on what the exact steps are and I am left confused.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

Julian

Hey @Julian987 the Porsche 111 point check is, in essence, Porsche checking your car over to make sure it's compliant with their extended warranty, it's really nothing to wrte home about and I'd be far more confident in a reputable independent looking over my car at service time and telling me if anything needs attention. I don't think you'll go wrong with RPM or Autofarm as far as servicing goes, and if you do sell eventually, any Porsche enthusiast will be more than happy with seeing stamps from either in the service book, I know I would. 

As for the tracker, I wouldn't bother. It's basically locking the stable door after the horse has bolted, since you're essentially being told when your car has been stolen, rather than preventing it happening in any way. I had one on my 997 because it came as standard, but then cost me over £200 a year to keep it active. I got a few calls over the years from the tracker service saying that my car had moved, when I wasn't in a position to check if it had, only to find that it hadn't moved at all. It's up to you of course, and in the case of the CR, which is hard to replace, you might want your car recovered if it's stolen, but it might not be in the best state if it is recovered. 

19 hours ago, Julian987 said:

May I ask what the process is for getting a tracker fitted. I have the option installed for Vehicle Tracking Preparation and then I called Porsche and I told them that, yet they quoted me over £1000. I thought if I have that option already fitted it just needs enabling with a Subscription service yep?

Am i correct to believe one signs up with Vodafone and then gives a code to Porsche? But then what package am I supposed to sign up to with Vodafone. Porsche have not been very clear on what the exact steps are and I am left confused.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Best regards

Julian

Ive just reinstated mine, £217 a year and yes it doesn’t stop someone stealing it but it can be remotely shut down if the police give the authorisation to do so.

It is just a case of calling the Vodafone team to get it set back up, didn’t need to take to Porsche at all.

As I can’t see my car all the time I like the idea of being told if it’s moving so to me that’s worth £200 or so a year

7 hours ago, Draven said:

Hey @Julian987 the Porsche 111 point check is, in essence, Porsche checking your car over to make sure it's compliant with their extended warranty, it's really nothing to wrte home about and I'd be far more confident in a reputable independent looking over my car at service time and telling me if anything needs attention. I don't think you'll go wrong with RPM or Autofarm as far as servicing goes, and if you do sell eventually, any Porsche enthusiast will be more than happy with seeing stamps from either in the service book, I know I would. 

As for the tracker, I wouldn't bother. It's basically locking the stable door after the horse has bolted, since you're essentially being told when your car has been stolen, rather than preventing it happening in any way. I had one on my 997 because it came as standard, but then cost me over £200 a year to keep it active. I got a few calls over the years from the tracker service saying that my car had moved, when I wasn't in a position to check if it had, only to find that it hadn't moved at all. It's up to you of course, and in the case of the CR, which is hard to replace, you might want your car recovered if it's stolen, but it might not be in the best state if it is recovered. 

Thank you  - hmmmm, yes very wise words. Ok let me sleep on it. I very much appreciate your reply, very kind of you. Best regards

2 hours ago, Y3owa said:

Ive just reinstated mine, £217 a year and yes it doesn’t stop someone stealing it but it can be remotely shut down if the police give the authorisation to do so.

It is just a case of calling the Vodafone team to get it set back up, didn’t need to take to Porsche at all.

As I can’t see my car all the time I like the idea of being told if it’s moving so to me that’s worth £200 or so a year

Ditto, wise words too! Ok so I didn't realise one can remotely click a button and stop the engine huh? Thats amazing. Oh so I just speak with Vodafone huh. Great I'll give that a go....though I presume there is a Porsche app to download right? Thank you too for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated.

There are far more sophisticated tracking devices available now for less than that price that do far more. You can monitor battery level, hours driven, hours idle and switch things on and off all by phone app or PC. Sends you push notifications for any events you create plus far more. ;)