Cayman R Chat

1 hour ago, Beanoir™ said:

I had the decals made up by designstuffonline for the doors on the GTS.  They are matte.  They haven't stuck very well though, so I might need some more! 

Horrid weather / temps for installing decals right now.

Many hairdryers needed ! 

I received 3 samples from John at design stuff online. 

gloss black - too shiny IMO. 

anodised black - different, slight metallic fleck in it, looked kind of like very dark grey / anthracite under my poor garage lights. 
matte black - slight satin sheen to it. 

ive ordered the matte ones. 

thanks for pointers to design stuff online Syer and Nick. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

I received 3 samples from John at design stuff online. 

gloss black - too shiny IMO. 

anodised black - different, slight metallic fleck in it, looked kind of like very dark grey / anthracite under my poor garage lights. 
matte black - slight satin sheen to it. 

ive ordered the matte ones. 

thanks for pointers to design stuff online Syer and Nick. 👍🏻

Classy 'shade' choice imo Jason.

From memory of my research and questions when i bought mine; it indicated either the majority of people fitting these effectively R decals chose matte, or the originals were indeed matte. 

Either way - you'll be very happy.....

**Fitting yourself ?

45 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

**Fitting yourself ?

Not sure - the cars getting a detail with paint correction and ceramic coat in March, so I’ve asked the Detailer if he’d consider fitting them between the paint correction and the ceramic coating. 

If he won’t then I’ll fit before it goes to him and he’ll have to work (carefully) around the decals. 🤔

Not much for sale on the R front currently? I have a friend looking for a manual R with Recaros. Preference is white, grey, silver, black..

Anyone know of anything coming up or considering selling?

Cheers, Ed.

PS. He might consider a well modded fast road S also..

Edited by Edmundo2

23 hours ago, Edmundo2 said:

Not much for sale on the R front currently? I have a friend looking for a manual R with Recaros. Preference is white, grey, silver, black..

Anyone know of anything coming up or considering selling?

Cheers, Ed.

PS. He might consider a well modded fast road S also..

Yeah, there hasn't been a decent manual R with buckets since about Oct I think so the waiting list is growing.  I know at least two lads personally after one and they have the cash waiting.

1 hour ago, Beanoir™ said:

Some people do write some bullshit in their classifieds don't they!  

"I only covered 600 miles between MOT’s"

I continue to see this BS as a feature of cars being advertised.  I read that as..."probably runs a bit average until someone buys the poor thing and actually drives it"

I know he has a letter saying £50k a year ago but I can tell you no way was an auto R valued at that.  I remember being on the phone to Ashgoods a year ago when they had a 30k mile white manual, PSE, buckets and it was £38k and had sat at least a month. 

Edited by Andyoz

2 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

I thought by the end of writing that out he probably would've decided to keep it himself... "Offering to sell a 50k car for 43k - I must be going mad."

That's still more than I paid for my R 4 years ago!

6 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

Particularly enjoyed the seller informing us; the suspension components were loosened (And lubricated) before adjustment 👌

On 26/01/2021 at 12:32, Andyoz said:

"I only covered 600 miles between MOT’s"

I continue to see this BS as a feature of cars being advertised.  I read that as..."probably runs a bit average until someone buys the poor thing and actually drives it"

I know he has a letter saying £50k a year ago but I can tell you no way was an auto R valued at that.  I remember being on the phone to Ashgoods a year ago when they had a 30k mile white manual, PSE, buckets and it was £38k and had sat at least a month. 

Minor correction! It was 40k - I know as I bought it !! But agreed with the general point - auto with no SC or PSE won’t fetch over 40. More like mid 30s. 

2 hours ago, A1 9URJ said:

Minor correction! It was 40k - I know as I bought it !! But agreed with the general point - auto with no SC or PSE won’t fetch over 40. More like mid 30s. 

Price definitely had a 3 in the front.  It was week before Xmas and I'm sure it was £38k?  They were getting a good few white R's coming through then though.

• 1 month later...
On 26/01/2021 at 13:29, Aaron said:

I thought by the end of writing that out he probably would've decided to keep it himself... "Offering to sell a 50k car for 43k - I must be going mad."

That's still more than I paid for my R 4 years ago!

It's reappeared on PH . Not sure why it's so expensive, hasn't got Chrono. In fact,without being rude to R owners, I'm struggling to see why R's are apparantly so expensive anyway TBH. Elite have had one for £35k for at least 5 months.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&Distance=2147483647&M=3271&MinEngineSize=3400&Postcode=.h.dauncuk93qs9.n4nheihu0hgw5f.z.d.xm.g.eghnp.e.s4.wpbq61.h5.hlj9.ucq.lnn2x.t.j9.k&SortOptions=Location&YearFrom=2009&YearTo=2012

On 02/03/2021 at 11:02, andygo said:

It's reappeared on PH . Not sure why it's so expensive, hasn't got Chrono. In fact,without being rude to R owners, I'm struggling to see why R's are apparantly so expensive anyway TBH. Elite have had one for £35k for at least 5 months.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&Distance=2147483647&M=3271&MinEngineSize=3400&Postcode=.h.dauncuk93qs9.n4nheihu0hgw5f.z.d.xm.g.eghnp.e.s4.wpbq61.h5.hlj9.ucq.lnn2x.t.j9.k&SortOptions=Location&YearFrom=2009&YearTo=2012

I haven't come across a car so specification fragile till I I decided I wanted an R

imho - prospective Buyers that are willing to spend (almost in some cases) double the cost of an S know exactly what they want and have read every bit of literature and info out there and  the fact they are willing to spend the extra means there not up for a compromise..........this means the same year car, same mileage, same condition but with different spec currently means about a 10k sweep ! from perceived perfect spec to "who on earth spec'd this one ? " spec 

which means the one sitting at a dealer may well stay there while one is advertised for 5k more and go in a day !

Edited by Mogsmex

11 minutes ago, Mogsmex said:

I haven't come across a car so specification fragile till I I decided I wanted an R

imho - prospective Buyers that are willing to spend (almost in some cases) double the cost of an S know exactly what they want and have read every bit of literature and info out there and  the fact they are willing to spend the extra means there not up for a compromise..........this means the same year car, same mileage, same condition but with different spec currently means about a 10k sweep ! from perceived perfect spec to "who on earth spec'd this one ? " spec 

which means the one sitting at a dealer may well stay there while one is advertised for 5k more and go in a day !

Yes, I think I agree, seems a fickle market, but such a range of asking prices makes them hard to value for a purchaser and I would imagine buyers, especially at the top of the price range must keep an eye on depreciation.

On 02/03/2021 at 11:02, andygo said:

The black manual one with only 30k miles and buckets in your search string appears a veritable ‘bargain’ at £38.5k 😮 (if I had another 20k spare that is... 🤔)

it does bemuse me that the R (or certain specs) attract such a premium over a well spec’d S (notwithstanding the obvious suspension differences, lighter doors, buckets etc) - but that doesn’t stop me from looking and whistfully contemplating.... 😉

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

The black manual one with only 30k miles and buckets in your search string appears a veritable ‘bargain’ at £38.5k 😮 (if I had another 20k spare that is... 🤔)

it does bemuse me that the R (or certain specs) attract such a premium over a well spec’d S (notwithstanding the obvious suspension differences, lighter doors, buckets etc) - but that doesn’t stop me from looking and whistfully contemplating.... 😉

No doubt unbeknown to you, the black R at 38K is a Cat S. A lot of chitter chatter on the PistonHeads forum a while back. I contacted the seller direct and he confirmed it’s a Cat S. The repairs looked well done but nevertheless, history and paperwork side of things, it’s Cat S. 

10 hours ago, Julian987 said:

No doubt unbeknown to you, the black R at 38K is a Cat S. A lot of chitter chatter on the PistonHeads forum a while back. I contacted the seller direct and he confirmed it’s a Cat S. The repairs looked well done but nevertheless, history and paperwork side of things, it’s Cat S. 

ouch 😮 - I didn’t note that mentioned anywhere in The advert, very naughty 🤨

but sure explains the price (which arguably should be lower still then 🤔)

I’ll stick with my S for now at least 😉