Cayman R Chat

For me it would need to be PDK and non buckets, I have a pretty bad back so been driving dual clutch since 2005.  With AC as well it definately negates alot of the claimed weight loss but for me this would be a daliy so it would work.

LOL.... this made me :)and the answer is both

I keep my car looking mint always and am known for it widely. Always hand washed and it's a little sad the detail I go to plus with it being parked outside in the open. No garage. BUT I also drive my cars and at times hard, they are machines to enjoy and I don't worry about putting miles on it. The moment she "sneezes" it's looked into and put right. If you know what I mean. 

I did go and see the red one and it was nice, it was in the earlier days and since then I have learnt maore about the R and still learning. It's slim on options and the killer for me was it had no AC, otherwise I may of gone for it. Oh and also no test drives which I see is almost everywhere these days :(

Have spotted that GT Silver, nice called them yesterday morning but noone picked up. Might try again today and see what the story is.

Going back to the mileage question, I am not that concerned about lower mileage car but do insist it has precise and accurate service history with no gaps. Given this shouldn't these R's have more then 25,0000 miles given they are 10 years old.... 

Do most keep them as garage queens?

Hi Windymiller - lol

So are you thinking for moving onto an R?

Glad you were able to get a drive in one, so what are your final thoughts? Are you going for it?

Worth the asking price?

If you then I will not enquire about the car mate, it's the right thig to do :) 

Ref your S lol, I am sure it's alovely motor but think I am on the R train for now!

Did you see a little while back there was an S in blue with 16k on the clock, decent spec for £33K?

It was being sold by Saxton 4x4 and drove there and saw it, car was nice but the salesman a right jumped up guy, rude and a proper t0sser. I walked away and let the dealership know of my thoughts. 

Anyway, it was sold at the asking price, I was told later!

1 hour ago, ajayp said:

For me it would need to be PDK and non buckets, I have a pretty bad back so been driving dual clutch since 2005.  With AC as well it definately negates alot of the claimed weight loss but for me this would be a daliy so it would work.

LOL.... this made me :)and the answer is both

I keep my car looking mint always and am known for it widely. Always hand washed and it's a little sad the detail I go to plus with it being parked outside in the open. No garage. BUT I also drive my cars and at times hard, they are machines to enjoy and I don't worry about putting miles on it. The moment she "sneezes" it's looked into and put right. If you know what I mean. 

I did go and see the red one and it was nice, it was in the earlier days and since then I have learnt maore about the R and still learning. It's slim on options and the killer for me was it had no AC, otherwise I may of gone for it. Oh and also no test drives which I see is almost everywhere these days :(

Have spotted that GT Silver, nice called them yesterday morning but noone picked up. Might try again today and see what the story is.

Going back to the mileage question, I am not that concerned about lower mileage car but do insist it has precise and accurate service history with no gaps. Given this shouldn't these R's have more then 25,0000 miles given they are 10 years old.... 

Do most keep them as garage queens?

I only spotted the no AC thing on that red one after I posted.

Yeah, many don't seem to get driven - not sure why as replacing parts doesn't break the bank if you hussle so why the hell park them up....but hey it's a free world.

As you a dead set on PDK and non buckets I definitely think an R with higher than the usual 30-40k miles is where I would be looking...there's lots of little details on the  that make them nice.

Edited by Andyoz

The silver R at Dovehouse does not have AC. 

not looking to change mine for an R, I drove it because I wanted to see how different the R suspension was to the S as I was contemplating swapping out my suspension for the R set up (@ £4K from centre gravity!). 

However, after driving the R (admittedly only on road) I didn’t feel enough of a difference to warrant the cost. Especially as The check-up at CG indicated my original shocks were still in good health and all I needed to refresh for wear n tear we’re the rear coffin arms and front top mounts and bump stops. I also used that as an opportunity to replace all drop links (cheap components, but always a bugger to remove) and replaced my rusty S rear ARB for the slightly thicker R ARB, which I think has made for a slightly sharper turn-in, but won’t really know until a next trackday. 

ive decided to keep the S for another 18 months ish as I’d like to move into a new GTS 4.0 but that’s gonna take some time to be financially possible (need a new family wagon first next year 🙄). 

That's a real shame that people don't drive them.

My take, drive and enjoy it, no point otherwise to own it, but that's me and we are all different.

So just checked AT and a black one has appreared, not for me but good as a price guide.

Reckon up to 50k miles and near the £40k would be where I be looking and with my spec.

£4k!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - for a suspension setup - are they high?

For that you could probably sell your S and spend the "extra" on an R mate.

Ahhhh GTS but the 4.0 part is where it makes me smile, now that would be a serious up grade.

Nice, good aim and be interesting to see how the market looks in 18 - 24 months too!

2 hours ago, ajayp said:

£4k!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - for a suspension setup - are they high?

For that you could probably sell your S and spend the "extra" on an R mate.

If only….

the differential from S to R is roughly 50% to 75% currently - eg 25-28k S vs 42-48k R

2 hours ago, ajayp said:

That's a real shame that people don't drive them.

My take, drive and enjoy it, no point otherwise to own it, but that's me and we are all different.

So just checked AT and a black one has appreared, not for me but good as a price guide.

Reckon up to 50k miles and near the £40k would be where I be looking and with my spec.

I've done 16k in mine - I drive it! ;) There are quite a few garage queens out there though, which is a shame for a car that drives so well.

• Like 1

If you want an R and got the money just get one. You won't regret it. UK car prices are still cheap if you compare worldwide so make the most of it. Enjoy the heyday of ICE while you can...

Edited by Andyoz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andyoz said:

If you want an R and got the money just get one. You won't regret it. UK car prices are still cheap if you compare worldwide so make the most of it. Enjoy the heyday of ICE while you can...

The difference in UK prices vs rest of the world is always something that I find really odd. I've not been following the market for long enough to know whether or not that is the norm and assumed there was just not quite the demand that exists on the continent and in North America? I'd have expected Euro pricing to be cheaper if anything given the bigger potential pool of LHD models.

That’s my exact spec (and in silver).  No regrets (though occasionally I wonder about my choice PDK vs manual) but having read someone on here saying they just switch into manual change & use the lever, I am happier than just using the paddles.  I did a carnewal exhaust which is fab as didnt have PSE.  Having gone through 993, 997, and brief diversion into Z4M Coupe/ i8, I settled on the Cayman R & couldnt be happier.  

Hi Ross, is yours a fairly new purchase or you had it for a while? Has yours got Xenons?

Any pics? 😃

Edited by ajayp

5 hours ago, Julian987 said:

pics now online

Cayman R Supplied with Every Must Have Factory Option: Inc Transferable Porsche Warranty Until March 2023

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/12192315

nice huh. Rare to see another with extended leather. 

That would be my perfect R right there!

Cheers Julian, was looking great until I saw the buckets 🙁

I have a bad back, prolapsed disk an surgery so they wouldn’t work. 

Great note about PH, as I am a AT addict but will keep an eye out on PH too from now on 👍🏽 

Edited by ajayp

Just had a thought…. I am looking for an R and chances are that I probably won’t take it on the track so would it be wrong or a waste getting an R and should I consider an S? 

welcome thoughts chaps….

Edited by ajayp