Cayman R Chat

...Maybe. I seem to recall him talking about the way the sidewall of the tyre moves and influences steering, in detail? Might be mistaken though...

It was on a thread you'd posted on, maybe Boxa.net?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

What kind of service regime are people with CR following? I realise it doesn't require anything special over and above any other Cayman, but likely owners are not putting potentially as many miles on them.

I wondered whether to go for an annual oil change and then wait for 20k service or just a full service annually, not sure what to do really... 

12 hours ago, Red Square Images said:

Warranty only requires every two years - yes? 

Warranty would require servicing as per the schedule on the car I imagine so would be 2 years or a mileage limit. Mine's not under warranty; It just feels prudent to have a performance car regularly looked after.

I don't see a reason to get it serviced annually if Porsche themselves do not. Think they know its a performance car and certainly wouldn't miss out on an opportunity to get us in annually if it needed it !

Guess if it got plenty of hard use on a track or euro tour etc then a different matter.

3 minutes ago, MJ said:

I don't see a reason to get it serviced annually if Porsche themselves do not.

I can't really dispute that point of view.

I can say that going annually has already paid off for me in catching an issue before it caused me a substantial problem. The exhaust clamp had almost completely failed but was hanging on due to a wee weld Porsche put at the back. Had it failed whilst driving, I may have lost the exhaust tailpipes and who knows what could have happened behind me to some poor soul.

2 hours ago, Webdunk said:

I can't really dispute that point of view.

I can say that going annually has already paid off for me in catching an issue before it caused me a substantial problem. The exhaust clamp had almost completely failed but was hanging on due to a wee weld Porsche put at the back. Had it failed whilst driving, I may have lost the exhaust tailpipes and who knows what could have happened behind me to some poor soul.

Some sort of check over should be done by owner from time to time to spot potential problems. No real need to pay for a full service if you're not doing high mileage. Modern cars are machined to finer tolerances and oils/plugs etc are far better than they ever used to be. Everything is monitored an adapted by electronics so service time intervals are naturally widening.

• 3 months later...
  • Founder
32 minutes ago, Y3owa said:

Hey all! 

Just joined ?

Heres my R, tho not enjoying it atm ☹️

Ah ha!  Welcome!  

As I said on messenger, have a chat with Gert @@carnewal he'll be able to help with the exhaust questions, and probably about some of the other bits you want to check out too on the car.  

Nick

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CaymanDave said:

Welcome! 

Looks well nice! How can you not be enjoying an R?

The poor thing was hit twice! Has a few annoying rattles, managed to fault find one today and ordered a new bit, the worst one is at the back, not the boot hatch as I've stripped everything off at the back end to find but starting to think it's suspension! 

And while listening for it noticed the PDK is making strange noises ☹️

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Y3owa said:

The poor thing was hit twice! Has a few annoying rattles, managed to fault find one today and ordered a new bit, the worst one is at the back, not the boot hatch as I've stripped everything off at the back end to find but starting to think it's suspension! 

And while listening for it noticed the PDK is making strange noises ☹️

Welcome along, hope you get the car sorted out! 

Anyone know how long or many years aircon lasts before it needs a re-gas or refresh? Noticed mine was getting less chilled last few times and now appears to not be chilled air at all, just cool air like you would get from the blower anyway. 

I assume it's an OPC job? Anyone had it done already?