Cayman R Chat

8 minutes ago, MJ said:

Anyone know how long or many years aircon lasts before it needs a re-gas or refresh? Noticed mine was getting less chilled last few times and now appears to not be chilled air at all, just cool air like you would get from the blower anyway. 

I assume it's an OPC job? Anyone had it done already?

I normally get mine done after 3/4 years, I don't wait until it's noticeably decreasing.  You can leave it longer but eventually the pressure will drop below what is required to switch the compressor on so it won't work at all suddenly...then you'll panic and wonder what's broken! 

I also run a can of the anti-bac cleaner through the air vents (inside and out) when I change the pollen filter. Freshens the whole thing nicely, and costs about £10.  

I got mine done when the CR was about 4.5yrs old. Was still running well but not as cool as it should have been. Nice and cool again after the regas.

thanks for the replies guys. Is it a while you wait job if I can manage a lunchtime booking at my nearest OPC, or do they need it for the day?

Ah does that mean equally effective repair can be had elsewhere? I had presumed it was an OPC job.

i live in Kent Brands hatch - Sevenoaks area 

3 minutes ago, MJ said:

Ah does that mean equally effective repair can be had elsewhere? I had presumed it was an OPC job.

i live in Kent Brands hatch - Sevenoaks area 

It's not really a repair. It's replenishing a consumable.

All your Kwik fit type places can do it so the best bet will be to find someone who's going to treat accessing the valves carefully and not drag the gubbins across your front wings whilst they get access and go with them.

5 hours ago, MJ said:

thanks for the replies guys. Is it a while you wait job if I can manage a lunchtime booking at my nearest OPC, or do they need it for the day?

I've only owned mine for a few weeks, I'm going the decent Indy route as and when I need to get any work done as its a few years old. Jaz in St Albans state that they can do a regas for £60 on their website apprently.

• Founder

I had my BMW done at KwikFit the other month and it was a while you wait service and they tested it first to ensure no leaks.  It cost £60 and they did a perfectly good job - probably because I was eyeballing them from the window ;)  

For a better service and to have it cleaned out and refilled try these independent, come to your house people.  They will offer all sorts of menu services and clean the air vents thorough with a spray cleaner to get rid of germs and such like as Mark says above.  I'll probably go this route with the CR shortly actually, it's due probably now and also a service.  

Unless you need the system cleaned to get rid of bad odours there is very little you can get wrong regassing aircon so if you only need a top up just find the cheapest place you can.

Most of these places don't actually test for leaks as its a different process to filling and you need Nitrogen & testing equipment, what they will do is let the refill machine pull a vac for what ever length of time you set and if there is a leak it won't move onto the refill stage. 

• Founder
3 hours ago, dirtbiker said:

I'm now a very happy Cayman R owner - most of you will know it as Webdunk's Peridot green one. Not a whole lot planned apart from some Thule roofbars for the bikes and lots of super unleaded!

[2b32d3_1cf1a5cabe4f4fad81c7e60db1262856~[

Great news!! Congrats mate! :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJ said:

Liking those mesh front grills, they look great. Nice photo!

Zunsports. One of my first tasks when I bought the car - clearing out the rads and fitting those.

• Like 1

On 23 August 2016 at 13:15, dirtbiker said:

I'm now a very happy Cayman R owner - most of you will know it as Webdunk's Peridot green one. Not a whole lot planned apart from some Thule roofbars for the bikes and lots of super unleaded!

[2b32d3_1cf1a5cabe4f4fad81c7e60db1262856~[

Yes! Another R with a bike rack ? I have only used it once and the looks I got were priceless! 

In in other news I have managed to fix my two rattles I think ?

• Founder
12 hours ago, Y3owa said:

Yes! Another R with a bike rack ? I have only used it once and the looks I got were priceless! 

Good news Andy! Did you work out what they were? 

On 8/26/2016 at 20:58, Y3owa said:

I've had the roof bars on (nice Thule wingbars) but was waiting for the channel adapters for the bike carriers. The mountain bikes will be going on later this week so will post a photo!

Had a great run out to Glenlivet on the edge of the Cairngorms on Friday afternoon - what an amazing car!

On 24/08/2016 at 13:34, Webdunk said:

Zunsports. One of my first tasks when I bought the car - clearing out the rads and fitting those.

Got a part number? Im struggling to find them on their site. :(

Also here are a couple of photos I shot recently. If anyone wants any shots done just ask. 

RED46728.jpg

RED46732-E.jpg

RED46700-2.jpg

RED46687.jpg